What the heck is this, CRAZY?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garguy

Reaction score
After three days in secondary, my dry hop nylon bag (boiled and sanitized) is sitting at the top of the carboy and this is forming around it. Looks like trub/yeast maybe?

Should I be worried?

Also, notice that the hop bag was forced somehow up into the neck of the carboy and somehow beer made its way into the next and was suspended there...

IMG_5393.jpg

IMG_5394.jpg

IMG_5395.jpg

FYI, there was air between the liquid in the neck and the top of the liquid in the carboy (does that make sense?)

That IS really odd but it doesn't look like an infection. I'd speculate that the addition of the dry hops catalyzed CO2 to come out of solution and the yeast raft decided to take a ride with it.

Just a guess, though.

hmm, I'll keep an eye on it.. I rocked the carboy gently a few times to break the seal that the hop bag had created and let the beer in the neck of the carboy drain back down. I wonder now if the "trub" will make it's way back down to the bottom...

Well, the hop bag clog and activity in the beer caused the liquid in the neck to blow out of the air lock.

I removed the bung and sanitized and toof the opportunity to smell the beer... I do not have high hopes for this one, something smells off.. not sour, just funky, like feet.. or a dirty locker room.

I will let it continue to dry hop for another 4-5 days then keg and have a taste...

Just an update, had this ipa carbing in the keg for a few days now and just tried it.

Something is definitely wrong with this beer. It is sour, and tastes of dish soap. I'm going to let it sit for a few more days and try it again. If it still tastes of all things wretched I am sacrificing it to the storm drain.

I would steer away from secondaries and hop bags. Toss those pellets into primary as fermentation is tapering off.

If you do use a hop bag,you should weigh it down. Still better to use pellets and go commando though.

Latest posts

Back