What system provides the most consistent brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeshorebrewer

Reaction score
This seems like a simple question but I know that there are a lot opinions. I am looking to find or put together a new system that will provide the ability to brew a consistent product. The intent of this system is to work as a pilot system to prove out a formula and deliver samples for my startup. As a homebrewer, I know that a variance from batch to batch is acceptable and a part of the fun of it. But to create the same brew with the same quality takes a lot more attention.

I have looked at the Brew Magic from Sabco and it seems to be a good product. Since I have a budget I thought about making something like it to save $. I wonder though what other products are out there or what someone else has built that provides the the consistency I am looking for.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers!

I think the biggest factor in consistency comes down to attention to detail.

IMO, consistency is more determined by meticulous notes and process, not equipment. An intimate knowledge of ones setup, regardless of what one is using, is the best thing for it, and only comes with experience.

I think it's quite reasonable to get consistent results with most equipment. How well you brew shouldn't be dependant on your equipment. Start tracking your data. Know exactly how much and how hot your water needs to be to hit your mash temps perfectly every time. Know how to maintain consistent temps. Even if you lose a degree or two throughout the mash you should get consistent results if you lose the same amount each time. Same goes for the boil. Be precise with your additions and know exactly how much wort you need to start with to hit you final volume every time. Whether your using an expensive system or a keggle and cooler MLT, if you do the same thing ever time you should have very consistent results.

If you want to step up your game in the future try to make this setup as similar to that final product as you can. Then you won't have to relearn everything again. You'll just need to tweak it.

I don't think it's the system as much as the process. People are able to brew a good, consistent beer with very simple equipment.Look at the critical steps in the process; time, temperature, fluid movement. The best system is one that limits the bounds of those steps to reduce variation. I think most designs, to date, really focus on reigning-in those variables to standardize the process as much as practicable. If I were building a system from scratch again, I would look at the critical steps and incorporate the best tool for the job, even if that meant borrowing from several different designs.

I believe that the most important factor in making consistent beer is you cellaring process. Keep track of all your temps and times so you can repeat your brewing process, that is a big part. But I feel you should focus more on you fermenters. Make sure you can keep consistent temps from batch to batch. Yeast health and performance will be your key to consistency.

The accuracy of the volumes and initial temperatures will be the largest challenge on the wort production side, yeast pitching and fermentation temperature control will be the other. Trying to step from 10 to 100+ gallons will be interesting if the accuracy of measurements on the small scale is not good. If you can not hit correct strike temps and extract numbers, then all the other targets will be missed, ie. IBU's and final gravity. Accurate scales, thermometers, and volume measurement are essential, the brewing hardware is not so critical as long as temperature loss is not extreme since most of the conversion magic happens in the first 15 minutes.
Yeast pitching cell count and temperature control on small batches will have a more noticeable effect on finished beer than large volume fermentation.

Excellent points made by all. I couldn't agree more on every one of them.

Since I have been using the stove top method with coolers forever, I wasn't sure if an intelligent system was necessary to capture the critical points more accurately or if it could be done with confidence without going high tech. It's a bit of a challenge the way I have been doing it.

Sounds like I just need to concentrate on getting a sculpture sorted out and paying attention to being able to accurately measure temps, time and gravity through the stages. I built a walk-in cooler last summer for fermentation temp control. Still need to get a microscope for yeast inspection and count.

I have to admit that I was expecting to hear alot about this sculpture or that one...It's great to know that there are brewers that appreciate the process and keeping true to it.

Thanks to all.

Stay with a single infusion process as this is what is used in most all of the larger systems around. Heat source is a matter of choice, gas less expensive to build a safe system for ventilated area use, electric for indoor use. I would suggest the use of an licensed electrician for electrical work and review of control panel construction as there are some truly scary control systems being offered for sale these days. If the control panel does not have the UL or CSA sticker or nameplate it probably can not be sold in most states, and would not pass an electrical inspection after installation without the approvals.

Latest posts

Back