What Style of Mash Tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptChet

Reaction score
Moving my way towards AG brewing and have been looking at both drink dispenser and chest cooler styles for a Mash Tun. Any pro/cons to either. I am going to go at least 10 gal either way. I am a DIY'er so I plan to make it myself.

:mug:

It really just depends on what you can get your hands on for the cheapest. They might not make a big enough round Igloo style cooler for 10 gallon batches though. You can find 10 gallon coolers, but thats not really big enough if you plan to do beers much over 1.060.

+1 to the above.

I prefer the shape and design of the round coolers, but I've never seen any larger than 10 gal, which is too small for above average gravity 10 gal batches.

I started with round, moved to small 48qt Igloo with braid, then 100qt Extreme with braid and manifold, and now have 120qt Igloo Maxcold with manifold. I really liked the round shape the best, but too small. The Igloo Maxcold is by far the best cooler I've had. If you are going to move into 10 gallon batches I would look into getting a cooler that has a latching lid. The coolers with out a latching lid tend to bow out at the top and cause temp losses. This is when they are full of course. When I moved to the manifold I liked it a lot better. Easy to make out of copper for not too much and you can batch sparge or fly sparge with this set-up. There are so many opinions and options out there. This is just my $.02. Check out www.dennybrew.com

Thanks for the input it helped with me decision. I read Palmers section on MLT's several times now. I think I will prob do a 10 gal. drink style cooler so grain bed has good depth on the 5gal batches. I will prob use a manifold also so both batch and continous sparge can be accomplished. I do not see 10 gal batches for me for a good while yet.

Happy Nude Year!!!!

Back