What size kettle ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossi46

Reaction score
Im going to build an e-biab. I would like 12 gallons into the fermenter. Should i go with bayou 102 qt or 122 qt kettle with steamer basket ?

Using the Rackers calculator, 40 lbs of grain mashed in 20 gallons (80 quarts) of strike water results in 23.2 gallons(92.8 quarts) of mash. You will lose about four gallons to grain absorption, leaving 16 gallons preboil, boil off 2-3 gallons leaving you well ahead of your goal of 12 gallons. 16 gallons preboil also appears reasonable in a 25 1/2 (102 qt) gallon kettle.

To send 12 gallons of finished wort to the fermenter, I think the 102 qt, 25 1/2 gallon kettle is adequate, unless you plan on making some very, very high gravity batches. Even on the remote chance that you needed to exceed the kettle volume, you could incorporate a simple sparge pouring sparge water through the bag / basket to collect additional wort.

All that said, the larger 122 qt (30.5 gallon) kettle would allow expansion to 15 gallon batches, or the filling of 3, 5 gallon kegs???

Doing a quick test in my calculator in the sig below. Had to make a few assumptions.
Full volume, 30 lb of grains, 6 oz of hops, hard squeeze, no sparge, 1.5 gal boil off, 1.5 gal of trub loss.

I have a temperature adjusted mash volume including grains of 21.5 gallons.

I overestimate slightly more than rackers does, they use a grain volume of .125 gal/lb I believe. Mine's slightly more, but also helps so account for stirring the mash and helps avoid boil overs.

I'd go with the 102 qt, 25.5 is more than sufficient. Honestly I'd probably go with a 20 gal pot if you could and just sparge a few gallons after the mash. For bigger brews just cut back on your batch size a bit.

12 gallons sounds strange, why 12?

Thanks for the replies. I do 12 gallons so I can fill 2 kegs and some bottles. I'll probably go with the 102.

Ordered a 102 and steamer basket. I'll use my current control panel for a while until I get some more cash or sell my 3 vessel e-herms.

Back