What Size Cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
So I am getting my equipment ready for going AG (finally) and I was wondering what size cooler you guys would suggest for an MLT for 5 gallon batches. I don't typically do anything above 1.070 OG. I plan on using a cpvc maniford so I'd like to get something rectangular rather than round. Thoughts?

I've been recently scorned for saying this, but my 5 gallon cooler has done me well. I have a copper manifold, in a round cooler, and it hit 79% efficiency on Saturday.
I double batch sparge.
I am looking to get a 48 qt Cube, because everyone raves about them, but I can't find one that has any insulation. The walls all seem VERY thin for what I want to do.
12# of grain will fit in 4.71 gallons of capacity with a 1.25 qt / Lb ratio. If you wanted to use a thicker mash...you could fit more for sure.

I just did my first AG yesterday. I used a 70 qt. Coleman Extreme that I already had. Made a 1/2" CPVC Manifold and it worked extremely well. I lose about 10 degrees from my strike water from the cooler absorbing it so I just factor that in. Once I did that it came down to my proper strike temp of 166 and hit 152 after doughing in. Amazingly enough the cooler held at 152 for the hour long mash. (I did put a blanket over it just to be sure) You probably won't need something that big as it only filled it up about halfway with 10.5 lbs. of grain and 3.5 gallons of water. However, if you go big then you have that option if you need it. Don't be like me...my dumb a@# has two different size brewpots now.

I've been recently scorned for saying this, but my 5 gallon cooler has done me well. I have a copper manifold, in a round cooler, and it hit 79% efficiency on Saturday.
I double batch sparge.
I am looking to get a 48 qt Cube, because everyone raves about them, but I can't find one that has any insulation. The walls all seem VERY thin for what I want to do.
12# of grain will fit in 4.71 gallons of capacity with a 1.25 qt / Lb ratio. If you wanted to use a thicker mash...you could fit more for sure.

Kmart has this for $30 Coleman 52 Qt Xtreme Cooler - Model 6050A748 at Kmart.com

Listed as extreme and has more insulation. I was going to get this, but decided on the 10G round cooler.

Coleman Xtreme. I've got the 36 qt, it's like it was designed for a homebrewer. Unless you're fly sparging, make your life easier and just use a stainless steel braid. The cooler's got a groove in the bottom so that there's effectively zero dead space, and it holds heat like a mo'fo'.

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys. I think I will check out the Coleman Xtreme. I've been using the ss braid for my PMs and I'm not a big fan. I love my cpvc sparge arm so I'm going to go with the 1/2 for my manifold.

I would look into the bigger Xtreme. I'm a little limited in my ability to do really BIG beers (I'd love to do a barleywine, but I'm going to have to figure out a way of doing a fly sparge). It's perfect for medium-gravity, 5-gallon batches, but a little limited for batch sparging anything monstrous.

I have a 52qt Coleman xtreme, and it holds a lot of grain. I can do 5 and ten gallon batches no problems. I use a bazooka screen and hit 82% efficency batch sparging. I lose a quater cup of wort due to dead space. When you take the nozzle out make sure you leave the plastic insert in the hols or you will have leaking problems. Also I find that by adding water 15 degree's hotter in the cooler first and letting cool to the mashing temp that I dont lose heat to cooling.
No mods to lid. though I know a few people have added foam to it.

I know this is my first post but I have been an extract brewer for a while and looking to go AG. I have this cooler, the 100 qt that I had used on my boat for saltwater fishing (it's a pretty big cooler and it holds a smoker king just fine :rockin:). Anyways, I had to retire mine because the plug broke and was lost at sea just in time for me to switch to AG;). After cleaning well and sanitizing, should there be any reason why a very used cooler shouldn't be used for a mash tun?

Back