What size black pipe for propane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicadrick

Reaction score
I am building a single tier and didn't know if size matters on diameter of the black pipe use to distribute the propane to the burners. Is 1/2 inch enough or?? Please advise.

Thanks

For high pressure propane, size doesn't really matter ... for natural gas, however, larger size pipe = more flow.

good luck finding 3/8"
I'm in a very populated area and I can't find it. I would much prefer using 3/8".

You can get 1/2" and 3/4" all day long from Lowes and Home Depot.
They will cut to length and thread it for you too.
I used to install commercial/residential steam boilers years ago and 1/2" was the standard for natural gas in almost all homes.
I would think if you can supply enough gas to heat a whole house through 1/2" then 3 burners shouldn't be a problem.
Fuel Gases - Heating Values

1/2" will be the easiest size to find....3/8" is actually more expensive most places (if you can even get it) because it's generally not used...too small for most low pressure applications.

For you stand, if you are running high pressure burners, you won't have any issue. If you have low pressure burners (unlikely, but possible) you'll probably have more issue with the line from the regulator to the stand, as they typically aren't sized for that many burners (low pressure only)...the stand plumbing itself would still probably not be an issue.

I only mention because one of my burners is low pressure (1/2 psi), and it was a lot pickier about line size. But in that case it was changing from 1/4" supply line to 3/8"...if I were to try and run two off that supply, I'd have a serious flow issue.

Back