What should I do with my roast barely mistake....mixed in 10x too much

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlutter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today I bought ingredients from the LHBS for a Cherry Belgian Ale. (ingredient list below)

5 lb wheat malt
4 lb pal 2-row malt
6 oz 40 L crystal malt
0.5 oz roasted barley
1 lb rice hulls
1 oz Hallertau pellets at 60 min
White Labs WLP-500 Monastery Ale
2 oz light roast oak chips & 3 lbs tart cherry puree in secondary

I already had 40L crystal, so I told the shop worker to mix the rest all together for me to crush at home except I mistakenly said 5 oz of roasted barley......

2 questions:
1. How dark and roasty is this beer going to be? ie. Are we talking brown ale, porter, or stout?
2. What is the likelihood this will be a good beer if I brew this as is (with or without the crystal malt)?

Brew day is Saturday, so I have time to adjust and brew something different.

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated.

It'll be noticeable, but won't be at all over the top. Ever had an Irish red and detected some roasted malt in the background? That's what about 5 oz of RB in a 5 gal batch will give you.

It's not going to be porter/stout dark. It will be (assuming a 5gal batch) a dark red to brown - about the upper limits of an Irish red ale.

Roast barley in this amount gives a sort of dryness to the beer, with a light acridity. Noticeable, but not dominant. I don't know how it would go with the belgian yeast. It'd make a good red ale though!

It'll be noticeable, but won't be at all over the top. Ever had an Irish red and detected some roasted malt in the background? That's what about 5 oz of RB in a 5 gal batch will give you.

I must type too slow....you beat me to it!

Thanks. It is for a 5 gal batch. I'll plan on making a red ale and will work on a finding recipe. One thing I don't care for in most reds is the acridity....What is the best way to reduce this? I have a few leftover lbs of pilsen malt and 2 row malt on hand. Would using these to either make it a higher gravity beer or increase the batch size by about 50% help?

Thanks. It is for a 5 gal batch. I'll plan on making a red ale and will work on a finding recipe. One thing I don't care for in most reds is the acridity....What is the best way to reduce this? I have a few leftover lbs of pilsen malt and 2 row malt on hand. Would using these to either make it a higher gravity beer or increase the batch size by about 50% help?

I think dilution would be most effective, so increase the batch size.

If it's not crushed, then RB should be easy to pick out. Just spread the grain bill out on a table and start picking.

Just like picking rocks out of pinto beans. Or seeds out of shake.

After reading lots of recipes online I think I am going to embrace the red and split the batch.

I'm thinking either a 5 gal batch split 2 ways with the grain and hops as listed: Irish Red lager with Safbrew 34/70 and Belgian Red with WLP 500

OR

splitting it three ways after increasing the batch size to 7.5 gal and trying Flanders Red, Irish Red, and Belgian Red. If I go that route I will increase the pale malts by about 50% with my 2 row and Pilsen malts and add in 3 oz of 120 L crystal. I'll keep the 1 oz Hallertau at 60 min and add in 0.5 oz of Tenttnanger at 10 min. I'll take 1 gal and pitch the dregs of a Flanders Red. Half of what is left will be an Irish Red lager and the other half will be a Belgian Red.

Any thoughts on small batching the Flanders, adding the Tettnanger, or the 120 L crystal? I figure if I'm going to experiment then I might as well try some things that I never have and might never try again.

If it's not crushed, then RB should be easy to pick out. Just spread the grain bill out on a table and start picking.

I like this idea....shouldn't take too long to long to pick out a few ounces....

Hahaha. Back when there were still seeds. I hope we're past that now.

Thought I would close this thread out with how it turned out. I ended up brewing the beer as the recipe was written and then splitting the batch to ferment half with WLP 500 and half with Saflager 34/70. I could sense just a hint of roastiness in the lager but not in the belgian ale when I transferred to secondary. After bottling, I don't get any roast flavors. Below is a pic of how the color turned out. All in all, I'd brew it again as a red although I'd still like to try the original recipe

Red ale.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I would close this thread out with how it turned out. I ended up brewing the beer as the recipe was written and then splitting the batch to ferment half with WLP 500 and half with Saflager 34/70. I could sense just a hint of roastiness in the lager but not in the belgian ale when I transferred to secondary. After bottling, I don't get any roast flavors. Below is a pic of how the color turned out. All in all, I'd brew it again as a red although I'd still like to try the original recipe

Thanks for updating. Could help someone else in the future.

Back