What should I buy next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangebrew14

Reaction score
Well the homebrew bug has taken over my brain and I am getting close to brewing my first batch in the next two weeks. The question I have is there is a $100 bill burning a hole in my pocket and not sure what to buy next. Below is a rough list that I have compiled so far and am tossed up between a stir plate and yeast starter supplies or get my cooler mash tun built...Everyone has been a huge help and inspiration on this forum so I am all ears. Thanks!

NB deluxe starter kit with glass carboys
10gal SS brew kettle with valve and false bottom
Immersion chiller
Dark star burner
Bottling supplies all covered
Refractometer
Scale for hops/grain

Definately the mash tun. An auto siphon sure comes in handy as does a wine thief for taking samples.

Depends on what you plan on doing. If you want to make some big beers that recommend yeast starters, get some of those supplies. If you are brewing on the stove and want to brew faster, i'd go with the dark star burner or another burner. I recently got the refractometer from NB with the gravity scale on the side and its AWESOME. Might as well get them all haha!

It's also a good idea to have some extra yeast, hops, DME, bottling caps, muslin bags, and an extra hydrometer and thermometer on hand.

Since you are getting close to brewing your first batch I'd go with the yeast starter equipment. You can buy a good yeast starter set with a 2L flask, stopper, dme and nutrient from most homebrew stores. Then you can DIY a stir plate with a computer fan and some rare earth magnets (there is a step by step in the forums).

I'd get the process down first before stepping up to AG and honestly pitching the right amount of yeast will make a bigger difference in quality of beer produced. Not to mention an mlt is just a small part of going all grain.

Anyway, whichever you choose I'm sure you'll use it sooner rather than later!

Edit: also if the list you put up is what you want to get I'd also think about getting things that would let you step up to a full boil if you can't already.

Thanks for the quick response! The list I provided in original post is what I currently own...I plan to brew outdoors and hope to get to AG level before too long. I plan to brew mostly pales, IPA, stouts and reds :0)

I suggest a used chest freezer or fridge, eBay temp controller, and 2 liter Erlenmeyer flask. I got all that for $100 and I believe it has helped me a lot.

If you are jonesing to go all grain, you could buy (or make) a bag to do biab.

I agree with the above post. Get yourself a BIAB bag and come to the dark side;)

Also a damn good thermometer.

and start saving for kegging equipment.

Temp control will make the biggest difference in the quality of your beers, followed by pitching the appropriate amount of yeast and oxygenating your wort. I've been brewing for several years now and after making a ton of starters and washing a ton of yeast I've actually gone back to using dry yeast a lot lately because of the simplicity. Get your basics down first. I moved fairly quickly into partial mash and AG, but the basic extract with steeping grains gave me a chance to get my sanitation and brew day routines down before I started adding stuff to pay attention to. Just my two cents. Get started and you will quickly find the best place to blow (I mean invest!) more money without guessing before you've even started.

Thanks for all the good info and suggestions! I just remembered my uncle has a fairly new 5 cu feet chest freezer he was going to give me...guess I will be buying a temp controller and some other misc items to get ready for first brew day. I can't freaking wait! Irish red extract kit w/steeping grains will be my first official brew :0)

It's gonna cost you a bit more that the Benjamin burning a hole in your pocket, but if you cook outdoors, I think you should take a look at a Blickman Burner. Prior to getting one of these I was cooking on a cheap-ass turkey fryer burner and I had nearly 0 control over the temp and the thing sucked propane like crazy.

This burner is great... great control, great efficiency, even low on noise.

That's my 2-cents.

Cheers :mug:

You can get set up for stirplate starters for very little if you build it yourself. If you can't get a flask easily you can often find 2litre jars of pickles pretty cheap. Probably $20 including some DME, and you can use the rest for the temp controller project. Also, you should definitely try BIAB if you're interested in all grain. Very minimal investment to see how you like the process.

You can get set up for stirplate starters for very little if you build it yourself. If you can't get a flask easily you can often find 2litre jars of pickles pretty cheap. Probably $20 including some DME, and you can use the rest for the temp controller project. Also, you should definitely try BIAB if you're interested in all grain. Very minimal investment to see how you like the process.

+1 AND you can find flasks and stir bars online very affordable, you can build the stir plate for only a few bucks from radio shack (I asked my local cigar shop for a box and got the power supply, fan & magnets from a thrift store that breaks down donated computers for scrap) for the potentiometer and switch. You can pick up a 5gal igloo at Walmart for about $25. A pack of 5gal paint strainer bags is $3-double line the cooler & you have a cheap BIAB setup. For about another $10 you can switch out the plastic spigot for a valve (1/2" ball valve style hose bib, 1/2x3/8 brass adapter using the original gasket will accommodate a kettle screen) and you have an instant upgrade to a mash tun that you don't have to hold the little button down and can be used as BIAB or standard MLT. Let's say on this high end you spend $30 on the stir plate set up, and $50 on the cooler conversion (that includes the valve & kettle screen), you still have $20 to order the stc-1000 from Amazon. Wait on the kettle screen and you have enough for the entire temp controller build. If you make this stuff yourself you can get about 2-3 times the value out of that C-note! For me half the fun of homebrewing is the challenge and enjoyment I get from building my brewery.

Back