What should a dry mead taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaloAltoMark

Reaction score
OK, so I just finished the second fermentation on my first batch of mead. This is a dry mead (9 lbs of honey for a 5 gallon batch). The honey was from my bee hives and I used a dry mead yeast from Wyeast.

I bottled it but the mead had a very medicinal smell. Similar to cough syrup. Is this normal for a young mead? Or did I make a mistake? If the latter, can anyone help me identify the issue.

Thanks

you willneeed to tell us your recipe and process for making this mead.

Medicinal is a taste that should age out.

We also need times. When did you start, how long has it aged.

I used 9lbs of honey for a five gallon batch. The final specific gravity was just under 1.0, so it was fully fermented and dry. The only ingredients were raw wildflower honey, yeast nutrient, WYeast dry mead yeast and water. The batch had completed its second fermentation. I let the mead stay in the secondary fermenter for 6 weeks to allow it to clear. I tasted it when I transferred the product to bottles. It is only 6 weeks old. Does that sound right for a dry mead?

It sounds like your Mead is right on schedule. All my meads have tasted awful at 6-10 weeks. It is going to BLOW your mind how it tastes in 6 months, then it will blow your mind at how it taste after it bottle ages for another 6 months. It is absolutely amazing at how it changes over time!

yep, just sounds young. you say it is clear but I bet you are still getting sediment on the bottom. mead tends to drop sediment for quite a while, even after it seems to have cleared.

-cheers

Back