What SG can SAFCIDER tolerate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErickJ

Reaction score
I'm wondering what sg could a pack of SAF cider tolerate? I'm making a batch of Apple black cherry cider. I made the SG 1.080. How low will this ferment?

Thanks!

Mine went from 1.078 to 1.000 and stopped. I racked off into a secondary and topped off with AJ. No further obvious fermentation has occurred and i added quite a bit of AJ to it.

Im going to try it again with a higher starting gravity. If it ends up sweeter i will have to assume it wont go over 11-12%.

Mine went from 1.078 to 1.000 and stopped. I racked off into a secondary and topped off with AJ. No further obvious fermentation has occurred and i added quite a bit of AJ to it.

Im going to try it again with a higher starting gravity. If it ends up sweeter i will have to assume it wont go over 11-12%.

How did it taste VS champagne yeast?

I just bottled a side-by-side comparison with EC1118 with two different OGs 1054 and 1064, starting with a gallon of cheap store bought juice, 1 tsp LC carlson yeast nutrient, and brown sugar to bump the OG in each of 4-1 gal fermenters. EC1118 fermented to 0.998 and Safcider ended at 1.000.

I lightly sweetened with sucralose and bottle carbed. I thought the EC1118 needed a bit more sweetener (use 33% more than the Safcider), I'm not sure if it was palate fatigue or reality, but I perceived most ester tones in the Safcider and preferred EC1118. Who knows what it will be like once it is fizzy and cold. I'll update.

I just bottled a side-by-side comparison with EC1118 with two different OGs 1054 and 1064, starting with a gallon of cheap store bought juice, 1 tsp LC carlson yeast nutrient, and brown sugar to bump the OG in each of 4-1 gal fermenters. EC1118 fermented to 0.998 and Safcider ended at 1.000.

I lightly sweetened with sucralose and bottle carbed. I thought the EC1118 needed a bit more sweetener (use 33% more than the Safcider), I'm not sure if it was palate fatigue or reality, but I perceived most ester tones in the Safcider and preferred EC1118. Who knows what it will be like once it is fizzy and cold. I'll update.

Hey end, just trying to find out how the esters were after you left the safcider. Just kegged my second batch of safcider (was recommended by LHBS). First batch was fermented at around 72f OG 1.046 FG 0.998. Second @ 68f OG 1.044 FG 0.998 backsweetened with a half gallon of juice and still a strong alcohol aroma.

Back