What other hop to pair with Mandarina Bavaria during dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlafnitzegger

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
All I have an American Wheat Ale recipe that calls for 2oz Mandarina Bavaria, 8oz Hull Melon, and 2oz Citra for dry hopping in a 10gallon batch. Does anyone think Simcoe would work in place of Citra. I know there will be a distinct flavor difference but I really love Simcoe. I just don't want to trash the beer with a combination that would taste too strange.

Hull Melon and Mandarina are both daughters of Cascade. I know I would be comfortable dry hopping Cascade and Simcoe together, so I would say this sounds like an interesting combo. I would go for it.

If you ask me, Simcoe is better than Citra. It plays better with other hops. Citra tends to dominate, though I'm not sure it would at the ratio of the dry hop you're going for.

All I have an American Wheat Ale recipe that calls for 2oz Mandarina Bavaria, 8oz Hull Melon, and 2oz Citra for dry hopping in a 10gallon batch. Does anyone think Simcoe would work in place of Citra. I know there will be a distinct flavor difference but I really love Simcoe. I just don't want to trash the beer with a combination that would taste too strange.

This recipe sounds really interesting, would you mind sharing it with us please?

Why not try Hallertau Blanc instead? That would round out the new trio of German IPA hops and give you something new to try

Latest posts

Back