What order? Ferm chamber, yeast starter, or brew equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosnhojm20

Reaction score
I'm looking to start a series of DIY projects, just don't know where to start so I figured I'd ask the forum. What should I start and finish first? Fermentation is always said to be most important so should I build a stir plate first or fermentation chamber? Other say to expand the brew equipment beyond just a kettle and cooler so that I can maintain mash temps and then split 10 g batches for recipe formulation. I'm leaning toward ferm chamber and stir plate. Your thoughts?

Ferm chamber and stir plate.

Edited to add: My dad was born and raised in Lynchburg, lived in one of the big houses off of Langhorne road. It's a beautiful city!

I would do the ferm chamber first. Temperature control has improved my beer more than anything. Then outfit yourself to make starters, then spend the coin for hot side toys.

Stir plate is cheap enough you should just do that first. Maybe $50 with a flask if you're gonna DIY. Potentially less depending what parts you have sitting around already. Ferm Chamber should definitely be done before brew equipment. I always tell people upgrading from a cooler or other basic all grain system is really just a matter of convenience for the brewer and doesn't automatically make better beer. I made some of my best beers with a cooler and kettle AG setup well before I built the ridiculously unnecessary single tier I have now. Sure, I love my single tier but it's all because of convenience. Until you start talking about RIMS or HERMS and automation for mash temp control it's all the same as using a cooler more or less. If you just mean your current setup won't handle the volumes for 10g batches then maybe consider upgrading. 10g batches are great but you can always split a 5g batch in half just as easily for experimentation...

Thanks everyone. I've really only got one buddy pushing for the equipment upgrade but I think that's just so he can drink more of my beer (jk). I've for a dual stage temp controller waiting for the ferm chamber, chigger pump back ordered, and magnets for the stir plate. Making so and steady steps toward all. Keep the opinions coming!

I'm leaning toward not even doing 10g batches for what was said before, can split a 5 g just as easily. I'm the only beer drinker in the house and like the variety. will need some 3 gallon kegs though, right? I figure it will be pretty hard to blow that must co2 into the headspace of a normal size corny. (I know this is getting off topic)

Doctor_M said:
Ferm chamber and stir plate. Edited to add: My dad was born and raised in Lynchburg, lived in one of the big houses off of Langhorne road. It's a beautiful city!
I moved here after grad school, I consider myself an expat (I'm from Jersey). Beautiful area and actually live off Langhorne. PM me his street if you possibly remember. I live in a little ranch style surrounded by some beasts of houses.

1) Ferm chamber. Since you already have the controller, this one is easy, inexpensive (by shopping for a used fridge/freezer on CL) and pays huge dividends.

2) Stir plate. The 2L flask and stir bar is your biggest expense if you can DIY a plate. Mine is built in the box my wife's laptop adapter came in using a scrap computer fan motor, 2 bits of rare earth magnet glued to a 1" piece of PVC pipe, a surplus 12v wall adapter and a little DC voltage reg that was $3 shipped on eBay. Works fine. It will let you culture more cells in a smaller starter.

3) Big batch gear if you feel the need.

I built a fermentation chamber for my second brew. I thought it was too big, but I use it all now!
Still do not have a stir plate, I just swirl the bottle every few hours.

[QUOTE="BigFloyd"Mine is built in the box my wife's laptop adapter came in using a scrap computer fan motor, 2 bits of rare earth magnet glued to a 1" piece of PVC pipe, a surplus 12v wall adapter and a little DC voltage reg that was $3 shipped on eBay./QUOTE] I'd love to see some pictures if you've got them!

Klutz said:
I built a fermentation chamber for my second brew. I thought it was too big, but I use it all now! Still do not have a stir plate, I just swirl the bottle every few hours.

Good point. I'm leaning toward a ferm chamber. I've got alerts set up for CL and found the perfect mini fridge but dude won't reply.

I'd love to see some pictures if you've got them!

I've never taken any, but I'll try to remember to do so soon. It ain't fancy, but it works.

A fun aspect of brewing (for me, anyway) is "re-purposing" stuff to make workable brew gear and gadgets. My wife says that it gives me the type of creative outlet that I don't have at work.

I did it backwards and built the ferm chamber last. That was probably a mistake. Make you yeast happy and they'll make good beer. Build the ferm chamber first.

It really is like golf. Too many guys go for the big shiny driver when they should be looking at their putting. The brew rigs are for show, the ferm chamber is for dough!

Fermentation chamber should be the #1 priority! You don't necessarily need a stir plate but it will increase your cell count and reduce the volume of your starter - it's a great investment IMO. The shiny toys are hard to say no to, but they don't necessarily make your beer better.

Back