What mashing grains should I try?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feedbag

Reaction score
So, I just started brewing AG and my first batch was a great success. However the recipe was some base 2 row and a variety of crystal malts, so it wasn't that different than what I could of made with light extract and steeping grains. What grains should I try that I couldn't do with just extract and steeping grains? I'm looking for some recipes that feature some other malts like biscuit, vienna, munich, aromatic, etc. Anyone have some good suggestions for getting the AG feet wet? What are some of your favorite grains that require mashing?

I'm very familiar with the recipe database, I was kind of just looking for some people's personal insight and experience.

Not sure what you are looking for. There are a handful of base grains. Besides rye and wheat, the best are all "2-row", but that doesn't mean they taste the same. eg marris otter is "just" pale malted barley, but it certainly isn't american 2-row.

My favorite non-base grain that needs mashing is munich. Lots of complicated malty flavors without being sweet.

Golden promise is one of my personal favorites. I use it for pale ales and people think its great. I'm also a fan of Marris otter.

I just got Fawcett pearl so I can let you know how that goes in a few weeks.

Golden promise is one of my personal favorites. I use it for pale ales and people think its great. I'm also a fan of Marris otter.

I just got Fawcett pearl so I can let you know how that goes in a few weeks.

What kind of flavor would you say golden promise brings to the game?

"Notes prior to flame-out addition: Rich aroma, sweet malt, bitterness comes through, balanced with the malt, sweetness, slightly toast, pie crust"

I fully agree with the links authors' assessment and think you get get similar tastes in the finished product (when using American ale yeasts-that's all used with GP).

Back