What kind of label is this and how do I get rid of it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dopavash

Reaction score
OK, so I'm not a home brewer, tho I'm not adverse to the idea. However I'm working on a project that involves conditioning bottles and your fine site has come up on that subject more than most. I figure if anyone could help me, this community could, and it might help others too.

I feel as though I've done my due diligence in researching before posting but I haven't had much luck. I'm needing to de-label glass coke bottles so that I can re-label them. I've been able to work all the Mexican coke bottle easily, using paint stripper (although I intend on using the CLR method I found here from here on out). Those labels seem to be of the screen printing variety and come off relatively easily. Problem spots come off with a razor easily enough.

IMAG0745_zpsdjrxnslj.jpg

However, I recently made a trip to Costa Rica, where I found 1L glass coke bottles which are heavy and awesome. The problem is that, although they appear to be screen printed at first blush, none of the methods I've tried (paint stripper, CLR, muriatic acid) have made the slightest difference on the label. I soaked in CLR one night and acid the next to no avail. A razor just slides across it.

IMAG0746_zpst6hgr46o.jpg

It almost appears as tho it is etched into the glass. Maybe etched and then glazed on? Has anyone heard of this? Is there any technique to remove it? Notice there's a rim of translucent but frosted glass around the red and white label

As you might assume, I only have a limited supply of them, not living near Costa Rica, and was hoping to utilize them both. For that reason I'm hesitant to attempt sandblasting the label off, although I feel like that would do it. But who knows. If I did blast it off, could I polish the area back to mostly clear afterwards? Im sure perfection is a foregone conclusion after abrasion. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Here is the 3rd picture I intended to post:
IMAG0748_zps3uikhspf.jpg

You can see the texture of the painted surface in the glare there.

Seems like a lot of work, is it really worth all that trouble? Maybe make a paper label and just cover up the Coke label?

Probably the only way is that tool hanging on your pegboard there.

For the sheer nergasm of it, yeah it's worth it. I don't plan on replicating this over and over, mainly because I can't due to lack of supplies.

If I were being lazy I'd just use the half liter bottle in the background, which I'll be doing anyhow. Those are easy. But I think you have to hold the 1L bottle to really appreciate the heft and beauty of the thing. Truly a deadly weapon should you use it that way.

The clear border suggests it might be a heat fused plastic label of some kind.
Not sure how one would get under such a thing...

I'm sure you have probably come across this already but PBW is the most powerful thing people here use to remove labels. It's sort of the ultimate cleaner that is also safe enough to use on food equipment.

Anything more advanced than a paper label or screen print probably isn't worth our [homebrewer] effort to remove and you may not find your answer here.

Could it be ceramic?

Try filling the bottle with hot water. Dump it out and refill with boiling water. Now see if you can get under the edge with a razor blade and slowly peel off the label (if it is a label)

The clear border suggests it might be a heat fused plastic label of some kind.
Not sure how one would get under such a thing...

Yeah but if it were plastic, I'd be able to scratch it off, right?

Sandpaper?

Yeah I'll probably tape it off and sandblast it.

I'm sure you have probably come across this already but PBW is the most powerful thing people here use to remove labels. It's sort of the ultimate cleaner that is also safe enough to use on food equipment.

Anything more advanced than a paper label or screen print probably isn't worth our [homebrewer] effort to remove and you may not find your answer here.

Could it be ceramic?

This is my guess, or some kind of Fused glass. It feels that way, particularly when I put the razor to it. I figure if hcl won't get it off, it probably won't be coming off by chemical means...

Try filling the bottle with hot water. Dump it out and refill with boiling water. Now see if you can get under the edge with a razor blade and slowly peel off the label (if it is a label)

I don't see how it could be; the edge isn't raised at all. It just goes from smooth glass to rough glass. That's what makes me think it's etched on, or at least Fused on an etched patch. But the lettering and Barcode won't come off either, and they don't have the rim of frosted look.

I dunno. At this point, it looks like I'll probably be taking off, sandblasting, then clear coating that area so it'll be smooth enough to put a sticker on. I *think* that'll work.

The "paint" is actually glass. It is probably colored granules of glass that are applied in a screen and fired to bond to the bottle. Its not coming off unless you want to decrease the integrity of the bottle. I certainly wouldn't pressurize the bottle via carbonation after doing whatever you do to remove the glass.

That's about what I thought it was but I didn't know they made bottles in that way, particularly a soda bottle. There was a deposit on it but it was something like $. 60. Seems like overkill to me but what do I know. Alright, to the blaster I go. There will not be any pressure on the bottle but thank you for that good advice.

Back