Question; How do I know what commercial Beer Bottles have Twist-off Or Peel-off caps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm with Stupid, here, serious question.

Question; How do I know what commercial Beer Bottles have Twist-off Or Peel-off caps?

What my problem is, I want to know what Commercial Beer Bottles have Peel- off Caps, & I don't want to buy many different beers to hope to find the Peel- off Caps.

The only reason is, apparently my Capper won't work good with Twist- off Caps. And, I heard this is because the Twist- off Caps don't have a big enough lip on it's neck, or something. But what if it had a big enough lip on a twist-off? Would that work? I have a hand capper, the push down levers, umm not sure that correct terms, but they are common, not the hammer style nor the press style.

Also, I have been using plastic bottles, because I am serf & I can't afford to buy many 6 packs of beers to just check if it has peel-off caps. And, plastic has been working, but I have the capper & want to use it. I used it once, on an expensive Oatmeal Stout, Samuel Smith, quart (or liter maybe, maybe 20+ oz) glass, but that was $4 for that beer & buying many is impractical for me.

I tried to look up an easy guide to know what beers have what caps, but it's not like they are all labeled nor there is a good list online that I found, I haven't found it yet & hence this querie. I know some beers have the Twist-off label or marking on it's caps, but not all of them.

Maybe this is a Stupid question, no pun intended, but I am being veridical in this regard. I, while buying commercial beers prior to homebrewing, would buy cheap beers, like Genesee, & they were alloy cans in 30 packs. I can't recall ever hardly buying glass bottles in 6+ packs, actually it was almost always 30 pack cans of cheap stuff. So, I'm not a Beer connoisseur, & this in bona fide inquiry.

In conclusion, would a thick neck or thick lip under the "threads" of a twist-off cap, work with my hand capper? And how to know what commercial glass beers have Pell-off caps?

P.S., please check out my first thread, the only thread here prior, about my notion of Inline Auto Siphons, I only got 1 reply, I believe, besides myself.

Thanks. Regards & cheers.

Peas be upon you,
I'm with Stupid

PEACE

I have had great luck with Full Sail, Sam Adams, Redhook and Kona bottles. I use a Red Baron wing capper like the one you described.
Thanks, AZCoolerBrewer, I cannot say I know any of those beers except the Sam Adams. As I stated, not much of a beer connoisseur, & I presume different demographics have different beers. But I wouldn't go to the liquor store to try various craft beers, it was more like, I need cheap beer because I'm a cheap drunk, heh. And, I would have loved to buy many expensive beers, but it wasn't like I could live lavishly like an aristocrat with lucrative income & has deep pockets to whimsically spend of the finner things in life. Hence why I started brewing myself, because I would much rather pay a fraction of what it would cost at the stores, plus I need hobbies to not go insane & be bored to deatg, etc.. I guess that, even though I wanted to be rich financially, the Lord gifted me in other ways, like having a content spirit usually by myself & my lack of assets helps me have more free time to be an entrepreneur who works pro bono, much. I work for nuts, barely enough to brew some Barely nuts or seeds. Also, I'll have to buy some Sam Adams for the peel-off caps, but do all Sam Adams have peel-off caps?

Actually, I need to rack some beer soon, maybe later tonight, but I'll have to use random plastic bottles for now. I'm new to this, I already ruined one batch of intended Oatmeal Cream Stout, I added a small can on Sweetened Condensed Milk & a small can of Evaporated Milk, ewww, I wasn't trying to make cheese or whatever in my brew, heh. This is my 3rd or 4th beer brew, except it's 3 if I don't count the last cheesy brew, from a cheesy guy like I'm cheesing as I am austere & stern, many times. But, caps, I need to cap my income lest I be pompus prick in eyes, & capping my brewing helps, too. Sometimes I feel like I'm over- brewing my bottled e-motions. But what am I saying? I guess I'm a ranter & raver, save the drugs, cause I'm always high as a kite being sober & a slober slob, hence why I prefer the tranquilizing effects of being intoxicated of alcohol. But, forgive my tangents or derailment of my sentiments, it's sentimental sentient posing as a sapient primitive primate pretending to be pretentious when I'm humbled human in my humanity as a humanitarian of conservation of people & Nature, symbiosis & balanced & this is my synopsis (if I'm not misusing this word without looking it up).

But, in surmise, I need some peel-off bottles, as I peel- off my veil of ego. But, egotistically speaking in arrogant adages, I'll say that being an individual is possibly an illusion of delusion, & we are all inexorably tied in knots, like fish on line, online. And my inline auto siphon might make many merry with myriads of multiple meads of must (have) spirits of glad-tidying, as the ship is steered to strong drinks & superfluous sippings of something savory for the savvy sailors of predestination. But, I'm going overboard as I'm over bored. Shhh, it's a shame I'm still the same.

Yes, I need a drink. Or many. Heh.

Thanks again. Regards & cheers matey.

Peas be upon you,
I'm with Stupid

PEACE

try Sierra Nevada you can harvest yeast and save the bottles. I figure with doing that I recover 9.00 from a 10.00 six pack very good cheap beer!

Your capper grips the skirt of glass shown in my picture. I find the Sierra Nevada's skirts are too short. This has not stopped me from looking under the skirt, but has stopped me from saving them for further use. The skirt can be too long as well in which case you likely will not even be able to get started with those. So you may ask then if I am interested in skirts, then why would I even consider a Sam Adams? It is because Sam Adams carries a veritable plethera of sexy beers. You could say that he provides all types: dark, light, thin and full bodied. The important thing though is that the skirts are always the right length.

I can tell you are not a pretentious man and so may not be looking for the sexiest of beers, but from your provider it is absolutely essential that you find your "will do" beer with just the right skirts. You better start peeling them off fast though or your milky liquor may go sour.

IMG_0571.jpg

I'm not down on swing tops per se. I just bought 2 gallons of apple juice to make a nice dry cider and my next brew after that I think will be a 12-14% barleywine. I plan on using 6 of my swingtops and let a gallon batch if barleywine age until Christmas in some super cool swing tops. Thing is you need to change the gaskets every brew if you want to use swing tops. I know this from experience, if you choose to re-use gaskets the bottles will leak carbonation and leave you under carbonated.

Just look at the caps. You can see the threads on twist off caps

This.

Your capper grips the skirt of glass shown in my picture. I find the Sierra Nevada's skirts are too short. This has not stopped me from looking under the skirt, but has stopped me from saving them for further use. The skirt can be too long as well in which case you likely will not even be able to get started with those. So you may ask then if I am interested in skirts, then why would I even consider a Sam Adams? It is because Sam Adams carries a veritable plethera of sexy beers. You could say that he provides all types: dark, light, thin and full bodied. The important thing though is that the skirts are always the right length.

I can tell you are not a pretentious man and so may not be looking for the sexiest of beers, but from your provider it is absolutely essential that you find your "will do" beer with just the right skirts. You better start peeling them off fast though or your milky liquor may go sour.

And that.

And look at the cap. Most twist off or screw caps have an arrow showing which way to turn. Peel of or pop off do not.

When I was bottling, I would sneak into the back of the cooler, steal sideways glances furtively, grab a bottle and gently twist one, If it pfffffffh'd , I knew that brand was a twist off. If it didn't move, or moved without releasing co2, I knew it was a pry off. Then I would go home and punish myself for the transgression. Then I'd rationalize that I was actually doing the rest of the customers a favor by leaving more beer in the cooler for them. And at the same time reducing my carbon footprint, And hey, that beer probably wouldn't be served flat because, you see, the breweries overcarbonate there beer purposely because they expect loss.

Don't judge me, my dog really likes me :)

He just doesn't drink my beer.

Thanks, that helped with your comment to look at the Caps to see if there is Threads underneath or not. And I have since done that with your inspiration. I believe it is easier than buying many different glass bottles to ascertain what Caps it has.

For the record, sorry guys that I haven't posted in weeks, I haven't been able to go online during that period.

But, for the record, to give maybe some "food for thought," or better yet, "bottoms up for the drunkards or boozers," heh, I was pondering a whole new Type of Cap for both Cans & Glass bottles. But I have to warn you, it's a little sophomoric &/or petulant. To be blunt & not "beat around the Bushs' (family tree)," it is...

It's a Sippy Cup type of Cap that is more like if you were to have a backpack with a Water Bladder there, or you have to Bite on a Bite Valve to suck in the liquid or water, etc.. And, call me Stupid, but it could not only fit on Glass Bottles, but Cans, too. But the Cans would need a lip to be able to push the "universal" anti- leaking Bite Valve. And for cans, it simply could be maybe 1/2" or 12mm little "mote" (like old Castles that were filled with lions and tigers & bears, & some scarecrows & tin men & throw some alligators & sharks & some honey badgers & wolverines & hungry hyenas, for a cherry on top, anyways), but I'm not the best with wording things in accurate & lucid language, alas. But the Cans could simply have a little circular indent to almost like wrap a condom on there, except the condom will be size of bottle tops & maybe 1/4" thick (6mm). And if you spill your drinks, no worries mate, don't get Critical on yourself, because it won't leak on carpets or furniture, floors, etc.. And this Bite Valve anti leaking device 'itself' wouldn't have to be more than 1 inch (25mm) off the can (but the Can itself would be flush [without that Dippy Sippy Device], don't blush on me, I'm on a roll as I lol) , & it would be cheap - maybe Fifty Cents each, but some smaller liquor stores might charge a dollar, & it can last as long as the rubbery or latex-like materials, made from Hemp plants would be best. So, I know it sounds Stupid, but Stupid is as Stupid does, momma always told me. But life is like a Box of Chocolates, you neva, neva know what'cha gonna get. Heh, but I despise Candid Camera, but it's rated at C^2. Causality squared, whatever that is...?

E.g., you wouldn't need to use this Anti Leak/Spill piece at the Bar nor anywhere, but if you were to spill a staining beverage from an accident at home or another's house, it would be like, "Damn, that was Stupid close."

But to close, with Stupid, I figured (via complicated algebra & trigonometry & some differential Calculus & praying to the Guru of all (Drunkard) Gluttons, etc.), that Cans would not be affected by this slight ergonomic design, it wouldn't be like you are sucking on a big, fat, hairy, Harry Potter Carrot stick. No, eww. You wouldn't tell any differences besides seeing a little "mote" (filled with those Man- Eating Beasts as per above depiction) around the lip or mouth of the Can.

But, I might be spelling "mote" wrong, what a Stupid lazy Pauper I am, cause I don't even care to look it up. And spelling was not what kind of Bee I am, I'm like getting Sugar for Honey. And you get more Bees with Honey than Spelling Bee's, shh. But, to not be whimsical as the wishy washy Winds of the "four corners" of the globe...

So, I laughed at your short skirt / long skirt joke, heh. But, to be honest, you know, Macho Y Macho, man to man; Aren't they better with No skirts on? I mean, can't you get a better grip like that with your "Hand Capper?" I don't know, I'm lost like the Lost Ark of Indiana Jones. But I don't have any Bones to pick with Mr. Indi. And it happens perpetually, like a perpetual motion generator with everything going in circles, forever & via eternity of, Which way am I now? Etc.. Heh. And being so dizzy in cognition, I don't know what Stable is, so says Mr. Ed. But, to be a buzzed butterfly effect, I am in a cacoon that I spun from the perpetual motion of never moving relatively, or I'm stuck in a rollercoaster ride that is from the beginning to the end, a non-stop cycle of being on a FTL amusement ride. But Photons are stagnant relative to itself, & hence the logic behind my contradiction while playing Contra, like Nintendo (before) Wii.

So, what was I asserting via dumbfounded conjectures of conjunctions of sippy cups & beer bottles & cans? Hmm, wait, what? Yes, indeed, drunks can be like spirit filled children that make a flipping mess as their flipping via a stupified substance known as ethanol or alcohol, so my dippy Sippy Cup idea is good as Gold, because Gold is just something via fusion of Hot Gas via the Stars that are immutable in respect to us. But if they pass Gas, watch out, it might be so potent that your electronics will die upon arrival, heh. But Stars burp & fart too, & it would be Hershey Squirts if we had a CME that disabled our electronics based economy, damn Stars, shine on my friends. But don't drink Dos Equis, he stole my punch line, I knew that I should have patented that barely punch. But the Most Interesting Man Alive, its double or nothing. I get Double & you get nothing, almost by default. Talk to my Advocate, I've got friends & high & low places. Alas, I can't stay / stop from going anywhere or everywhere Mind wanders like being a lost Dog on the scent of bee (w)itches Pheromones Gone Wild. But, I never went to Madi Gras, but my sister tore that place up like a hurricane met a tornado met a volcano met some guys with beads.

To conclude, Drink Responsibly my Friends...

Peas be upon you,
I'm with Stupid

PEACE

When I was bottling, I would sneak into the back of the cooler, steal sideways glances furtively, grab a bottle and gently twist one, If it pfffffffh'd , I knew that brand was a twist off. If it didn't move, or moved without releasing co2, I knew it was a pry off. Then I would go home and punish myself for the transgression. Then I'd rationalize that I was actually doing the rest of the customers a favor by leaving more beer in the cooler for them. And at the same time reducing my carbon footprint, And hey, that beer probably wouldn't be served flat because, you see, the breweries overcarbonate there beer purposely because they expect loss.

Don't judge me, my dog really likes me :)

He just doesn't drink my beer.
Heh, you're funny; Like a bunny, she really likes me, just doesn't drink my beer. And not a real bunny rabbit, but like the Bunny Ranch, I am the king of playing, Boy. Naw, I'm single & content that way. I would rather be single than being a Prisoner to a woman who Might be worth my time, but Might be the Wicked Witch of the West, you know? So, I've been engaged years ago, but I thank the Lord He saved me from her, albeit not without much heartbreak & depression & self medicating on the Tree of Knowledge, etc.. But that's a Horse of another Color.

But, yes, I thought of the Same exact thing, I was like, Man, if I don't know the cap types, I'll be wasting my money on that Beer, if I could just go to twist them off I could then know, like you said in your post. But then I was like, I would hate to do that to the store & the future buyers of said beer. Not that I'd be arrested for twisting some caps, but I would then have a guilty conscience. But, hence why I asked you guys. Because I wouldn't have felt comfortable ruining some of their beer. And I know I couldn't afford to buy X 6 packs to try & get lucky. And I would rather not buy glass bottles & do shady business & I just been buying some plastic 40's instead.

But, for the record of my last post with the Anti- Leaking "universal" Sippy Cup caps, I later was thinking, it would be akin to a baby suckling, nursing on his mothers lactating breasts. Or like in plumbing where they have a (usually) short piece of pipe with threads on both ends. Or like it rhymes with Pimple. It rhymes with dimple, or simple. And I know many men would feel like bono fide Men if they were suckling on beer breasts that were lactating alcohol, & they might even make their Old Lady jealous, but that Jello is a big Hello to many mellow yellow submarines, like the Beatles or Beach Boys sing, maybe the Beatles? And I know that the Beach Boys sing something like, Life's a Beach, then you die. Or maybe I'm just beaching myself on the shore of a bore(d) lore? Nah, the Beach Boys didn't say that, I need to drink some beer before I hear the mer de nomes, or the little elves that Elvis was All Shook Up, about. Heh. Seriously, Elves live, long live the elves. Heh. I'm running out of stuff to say, but I am going to drink, etc..

Peaa be upon you,
I'm with Stupid

PEACE

"Troll alert?" Excuse me?!

I was being completely serious. Go look at a Bud Light bottle cap. It's right there on the side of the cap.
I know Some have a little arrow or say Twist Off, but can you agree that Not all Twist Offs have any indication of it's Cap? I mean, they probably assume most people don't care too much, & I assume most people don't save their bottles to refill with their homebrew, they might never made homebrew beer. I know this homebrewing of Beer was a first for me in the past maybe 6 months. But I'm like a slow Pro, I mean I already had some Brewing (no pun intended) Inventions, e.g.;

1) Inline Auto Siphon

2) Anti- Leaking or Anti- Spilling Sippy Cup Caps, like a baby suckling on a warm breast full of lactating baby juices, you know what they say? Got Milk? And babies faces doing the motorboat, hey dad, "Who's the Man now? Go take a seat, bench-warmer. I got to get practise, prepared because in less than 2 decades, guaranteed I'll be using my humble beginning knowledge of how to suckle. Go find a male bull, suckle that." Says the baby. Dad says, "What is in that stuff? Stop eating those Rocky Mountain Oysters, he's growing hair on his chest & he's not 6 months old, wife. Can I try, my turn, my turn, save some for me, junior!"

In conclusion, my mind is in the gutter, but I have an excuse, I'm a Nutter.

Peas be upon you,
I'm with Stupid

PEACE

Like my New Avatar? Holy wood

I've Met some online already, yes?

Anyways, I haven't Drank Beer since New Years

Been thinking about milking my utterly ridiculously Long Tales of Fantasies of Future

Just to Update myself. Hi, we Met Online now!

Cupid

I'm with Stu-pid

I know Some have a little arrow or say Twist Off, but can you agree that Not all Twist Offs have any indication of it's Cap? I mean, they probably assume most people don't care too much, & I assume most people don't save their bottles to refill with their homebrew, they might never made homebrew beer. I know this homebrewing of Beer was a first for me in the past maybe 6 months. But I'm like a slow Pro, I mean I already had some Brewing (no pun intended) Inventions, e.g.;

1) Inline Auto Siphon

2) Anti- Leaking or Anti- Spilling Sippy Cup Caps, like a baby suckling on a warm breast full of lactating baby juices, you know what they say? Got Milk? And babies faces doing the motorboat, hey dad, "Who's the Man now? Go take a seat, bench-warmer. I got to get practise, prepared because in less than 2 decades, guaranteed I'll be using my humble beginning knowledge of how to suckle. Go find a male bull, suckle that." Says the baby. Dad says, "What is in that stuff? Stop eating those Rocky Mountain Oysters, he's growing hair on his chest & he's not 6 months old, wife. Can I try, my turn, my turn, save some for me, junior!"

In conclusion, my mind is in the gutter, but I have an excuse, I'm a Nutter.

Peas be upon you,
I'm with Stupid

PEACE

Percious

How Ironical?

Yea, Beer Bottle Nipples, a great idea.

Anything except Gluten Beers!

Make Gluten Unwanted!

Hemp Beers, did YouTube Delete That?

Anyways, met is commencing coming to cosmos near condos

Cupid says,

I'm With Stupid