What kind of handgun to get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I really enjoy firing .45 ACP rounds. The recoil is softer than what you get from a 9mm or .38 [super]. The 1911 style pistol is a classic and time proven design. My father's 1911A1 still fires wonderfully as does my clone (a Para Ordnance P14, high capacity :ban:).

IF you're really concerned about the cost per round/box, then get into reloading. You'll have some initial hardware expenses, but your cost per round should go down. Plus, you then have the option of making the rounds as YOU want. Well, provided they make the pistol function properly/fully.

I reloaded when shooting competitions. Mostly because I couldn't buy ammo as I wanted. I was using 255 grain bullets, with charges to push them at 700-725fps. With the pistol slightly modified (recoil suppression guide rod and variable strength spring) I had about a 1-2" muzzle rise. Made it easy to take the follow-up shots on target.

I would get a 1911 from one of the major makers if I was looking for one. Kimber, Springfield, S&W, Colt, Glock, Taurus, etc. For an used pistol (or any gun for that matter) have a qualified gunsmith (that you know and trust) give it a FULL inspection before you purchase it. Look for excessive wear where the barrel meets the frame (talking pistols, 1911 especially), how smooth the slide moves, wear where the guide rod meets the frame (towards the chamber), etc. If you can, I would go with either steel (first choice) or synthetic frames, not alloy frames. I had an alloy frame on my P14 and had to replace it after about 5000 rounds (was showing more wear than I was comfortable with, especially with a competition gun).

If you get it at a gun store that doesn't have a range there, or one very close, have them meet you there so that you can test fire what you're looking at. Not to say the shop is dishonest, but firing a magazine, or two,or a box of ammo, will tell you a good amount about the pistol/gun.

I've been either shooting, or have owned, guns for most of my life. My father was a NRA certified instructor for many years. From all those years I've learned one pretty much universal truth... Quality isn't cheap, and you NEED quality when you're talking guns. You don't need to blow a ton of money to get quality, but if you go with one of the makers KNOWN for quality, selecting the model for your needs, you won't regret it. The bas e P14 I purchased years ago wasn't too expensive, of course I did a lot to it to get it where it ended up. I would start looking at manufacturer's sites to see what they offer in the budget level you're thinking. Then see what those models are selling for used (but well maintained). Also check different manufacturer's ammo prices. Not all ammo is created equally. Again, go with brands known for producing high quality, with extremely tight QC. IMO, this is critical with ammo.

For a decent 9mm it looks like most of the good suggestions have been mentioned (M&P 9, Glock 17, Springfield XD 9). These run new around $500-$600. There are some less expensive guns such as the S&W Sigma, S&W SD, Taurus, etc. for $100-$200 less. These weapons are good but they lack the fit and finish of the others. If I was just punching paper I'd do with the S&W SD (it's supposed to have a smoother trigger than the Sigma). No matter what, try some guns out and be careful not to jump on a brand's band wagon.

For what it's worth, Sig P220 .45 and reload. The P226 9mm is a lot of fun as well if your range allows shooting pins and vegetables.
Frozen oranges + .45 :rockin:

Frozen oranges huh? Im gonna have to try that. My range is on Cow Mountain, in the middle of nowhere and its a free for all. Last time I was there a guy got everyone to quit shooting for awhile, he went down range and set off a stick of dynamite. Redneck country out here

If you're really digging the 9mm cartridge, take a look at a CZ-75 - classic Browning style with a few modern improvements. You can get a used one very inexpensively, especially if you're willing to accept some cosmetic flaws.

If I could only own one handgun, it'd be a 1911. Bulk .45 ammo for plinking isn't that expensive.

They are affiliated with the local gun club in some way. I picked up the application to the gun club there and found out that I can get the combination to the gate and go shoot whenever I want as long as it's within ordinance times and they aren't hosting an event.

So I think they might be willing to drive over and let me shoot a few rounds if it means making a sale. Seems they were pushing a brand I never heard of before. Kind of a low cost brand, but I know their were some very cheap guns they wouldn't sell too.

Was it a Hi-Point c9 by chance?

I don't remember. I checked them out this past spring, just to get an idea of some prices. Didn't get a chance to stop by today, but maybe tomorrow before I pick up the kids from dance. They usually have a few used guns and some of those low priced new. I'm kind of leary of buying one I'd never heard of. I'll be sure to read some reviews before thinking about buying one.

Before you buy one of the used guns, check the value guides (one can be found here). This is both to make sure you're not getting screwed, and to ensure it's not too far below fair value for it's condition. If it's marked too far below what it should be I would question the seller as to why. Same thing with it being over fair value price.

If you get a chance to test fire the gun before buying it, be sure to put at least a magazine full of different brands of ammo through it. It should function the same for all commercial rounds. You should get zero malfunctions/misfires/stove-pipes/etc. with those rounds. If you do, I would simply move on to another pistol.

I would even go so far as to talk with some of the range officer's at the club to find out what they think of the different makes and models you're looking at. IF they've been shooting for a reasonable amount of time, and been range officers for a reasonable amount of time, they've probably seen at least one of every pistol you're considering. If they've been working there for several years and the pistol make/model is of decent maturity, and they've not seen a single one, I would question as to why. I would also have one of them on hand to inspect the pistols you're considering to ensure you're not getting something not 100%. IMO, it's better to not get something now, that's not 100%. Personally, unless I actually KNOW the previous owner, or had it completely inspected (by a gunsmith I know and trust), and it test fires beyond expectations, I'd pass. I'd rather save up a bit longer and get either a brand new gun or wait for the one that was used for very low number of rounds and now being sold (usually it's the wife that creates that situation).

Range Officer? I'd be surprised to see anyone with that title. It's a gun club. You pay $40 and get the combo to the lock and can go shoot whenever you want. They probalby have officers and meetings, and they do skeet and tourneys.

But it's all outdoors and I expect sort of off the cuff. I think the state and local police use the range for practice...

Get a 1911. The standard is 45 cap but it doesn't recoil much at all. Some companies make it in 9mm as well which would be cheaper. I'd almost guarantee a 1911 style weapon will fit your hand better than nearly anything else. For the price, rock island armory makes a good 1911.

I'm too lazy to read everything so just going off the initial post. You really have to look at the whole picture of what you want in a gun, especially if you can't/don't want to afford multiple guns. If all you want is a cheap plinker stick with a .22 something like a Ruger Mk III.

If you want something that doubles for home defense go with a 9, 40, 45...the 9 being the cheapest of the bunch to shoot. There are tons of quality guns to choose from in this category so go shoot some guns at a range (go for a ladies night that has free rentals for the ladies and have your girl go and get all the different guns) to get an idea.

If you want something that you can shoot and carry without rearranging your wardrobe around the gun you want something like a .380 (Ruger LCP is good). But, a .380 is only going to make Mongo mad so you better go with a candygram and carry a .357 mag wheel gun like the Smith 340...just use 38 specials for the range, one shot with a .357 mag load should be a sufficient lesson. But, should you ever need to use the .357 to defend yourself the last thing you will think about is the feeling of your hand exploding.

Finally, if you plan on doing any pimping on the side I cannot recommend a generic nickle plated .25 with mother of pearl handles enough.

I've shot a compact .357 hammerless... if you do indeed plan on carrying it concealed you had best practice with whatever your going to load when you carry because that thing is JUMPY. There's just not enough gun there to back up a punch like that. People show up with those all the time in the CCW program, and end up having to buy a semiauto when they can't pass the shooting portion. I wouldn't personally recommend one to anybody for any reason just my .02

Glock in 9mm, it'll last for darn near ever, ammo is cheap, and its reasonably priced. Everyone should have one. I prefer the 19 but depending on your hands you may want to go full size with the 17.

Like Bensiff, I'm too lazy to read everything up to this point but I have read a few of the posts and as a former gun salesman I want to give my 2 cents worth.

There are two things that I have read here that I completely agree with: If it is an option for you (not always the case and more often anymore it is not an option) go to a gun shop that will demo the guns and shoot a few. Secondly, if your primary motivation is an semi-automatic handgun with a little bit more than a .22 but still cheap to shoot, I would personally suggest the 9mm.

as far as a specific model goes, that is where it gets tricky, allot of people will suggest the Glock, which I have seen done a few times here already, and it is certainly a well made pistol but to me a Glock is allot like Conan O'brien, you either love it or hate the very being of it (I personally am on the latter of both cases). There are many good models out there and the one for you is going to primarilly be driven by what fits best in your hand and is most natural to aim. I would look at manufacturers like Smith and Wesson (the sigma is nice), Springfield Arms (I love the XD, and XDm), Ruger makes several nice options ( the ruger p90 and p95 are nice), Glock of course, and Taurus also makes a nice product but dont limit yourself to just the few that I have mentioned here.

Also, on price remember two things: 1) +/-$100 is not much over the life of a gun and 2) if you do decide to get rid of it at some point, they hold their resale value quite well.

Hope this helps :mug:

I'll agree with mwilcr on the Glock. It's not my favorite gun for having fun at the range. However, I like my Glock 32 for concealed carry. I hate shooting double action but I like the safety it provides for carry. The Glock striker mechanism feels like a 1.5 action so I get the best (and worst) of both worlds.

For target shooting, I like my 1911 and my replica Colt revolver. Both have extremely light trigger pulls for accuracy. I also have a Colt Woodsman 22 for the same reason.

That being said, what I like doesn't matter. You should find a place that will let you try several guns before you buy preferably with an instructor's help. Handguns are very much a personal decision and you don't want to drop $700 bucks on a guess.

I went last night and had a look. Nothing really jumps out, and now I'm seriously thinking that a .22 might be what I really want. I have next to zero need for defense, and .22 will be a fair amount cheaper to shoot than anything else and I'll likely want to shoot more often.

The difference in size between 9mm and .22 is much more than I thought. I don't see a 9mm being very concealable, at least the models they had.

They recommended a low cost gun made in Las Vegas I think. I don't know. I had one apart and the machining left a little to be desired.

And they don't offer to try them out beforehand...

I'll look around. I know there's a few other gun shops within driving distance that will have some guns. I should probably just turn in my application to the club and see how interested I am in shooting before buying another gun.

They did have a nice target .22 for about $225. I think it was a Ruger or SW.

AZ_IPA said:
"The lazy many works twice as hard." ~Anon.

Everything in your post was covered in this thread, multiple times. :D

:mug:

Even my pimp gun? Come in that's funny.

bottlebomber said:
I've shot a compact .357 hammerless... if you do indeed plan on carrying it concealed you had best practice with whatever your going to load when you carry because that thing is JUMPY. There's just not enough gun there to back up a punch like that. People show up with those all the time in the CCW program, and end up having to buy a semiauto when they can't pass the shooting portion. I wouldn't personally recommend one to anybody for any reason just my .02

You can load with .38 special and shoot just fine unless you have bad fundamentals. Go with the lightest grain .357 rounds and it's easier to handle. But yeah these are gut guns not something to rely on at the 25 yard line.

Homercidal said:
I went last night and had a look. Nothing really jumps out, and now I'm seriously thinking that a .22 might be what I really want. I have next to zero need for defense, and .22 will be a fair amount cheaper to shoot than anything else and I'll likely want to shoot more often.

The difference in size between 9mm and .22 is much more than I thought. I don't see a 9mm being very concealable, at least the models they had.

They recommended a low cost gun made in Las Vegas I think. I don't know. I had one apart and the machining left a little to be desired.

I'll look around. I know there's a few other gun shops within driving distance that will have some guns. I should probably just turn in my application to the club and see how interested I am in shooting before buying another gun.

Ruger mk III is a great .22. You can only get a 9 so small, Kimber Solo might be worth the look if you can afford. I haven't shot it so I can't speak from experience though.

Mark 3?

I have a Mark 1, it's a little odd in it's look, I like it though and it is a Ruger.

Kimber makes a 1911 in .22 I've read good things about, if you liked the feel of the 1911.

I have both an older Ruger Mk II and a S&W 22A. They are two of my favorite guns to just go out and shoot. Shooting wise, I absolutely love the 22A but it almost takes Jedi knowledge of the force to take it down without parts flying across the room. The Ruger Mk II doesn't feel as nice in my hand but it is a better made gun all around. S&W may have changed their design since the one I own to correct some of the known issues like the take down self destruction I mentioned but I do not know.

TxBrew said:
Mark 3?

I have a Mark 1, it's a little odd in it's look, I like it though and it is a Ruger.

Kimber makes a 1911 in .22 I've read good things about, if you liked the feel of the 1911.

If you are talking about the .22 conversion kit all I can say about it is four letter words that I'm not supposed to use here. What a piece of crap.

Mark 3?

I'd have to go back and look to remember. If it's a Ruger, then it's the Competition model. I don't remember it having a rounded barrel, but maybe.

Why has no one mentioned the Beretta 9mm? The navy switched from the colt 45 to the beretta 9 about oh 10ish years ago. Wow what a difference I instantly fell in love. My next test I went from marksman to expert just from the gun. Not exactly a compact gun but it sits nice in the hand, pops off round after round with no stovepipes, reloads in a breeze, and light enough to shoot offhand accuratly. I wouldn't use it as a concealed weapon but for range or home use I would put it very high up there. And aren't they cheaper than the glocks? been years since I actually bought a gun.

The m9 sucks you would have better luck throwing it because the thing is such a useless brick get a 1911

The m9 sucks you would have better luck throwing it because the thing is such a useless brick get a 1911

When we qual with them, part of the drill is to dissassemble it, hold the slide with two fingers and strike it gently with the barrel. If it rings, it's good to go. If it goes "clink", it's junk. There are always a few that go clink around the room. I used to shoot regularly at a local gun range. I have only heard the cease fire siren twice and both were from 92FS's (M9ish) having the slide break in half and go down range. Purely coincidental I'm sure, but it's steered me in the direction of something else. It does fire nicely in my experience, but I would question the reliability based solely on personal experience. I owned a Taurus 92FS once that was complete junk. I can't judge Beretta based on that POS though.

My current CC is a P229. It's a little large for that purpose, but under a sweatshirt it's fine. The owner of my old local range wouldn't recommend anything unless he deemed it worthy (he was kind of an arrogant prick come to think about it...). Whenever one of the "quality" brands would come out with a new model, he would "test" it before recommending it. The test was a little unscientific, but he would throw it across the parking lot, stomp on it and kick it around in the dirt. Then he would blow out the barrel, load up and shoot 200rnds through it. A "tested" P229 is what he wears on his side to this day. He has had plenty of popular models fail his test - sluggish/malfunctioning actions, a few misfires and lots of jams.

FWIW, I own a ton of handguns and this is the one I have the most fun with by far. It's an absolute joy to shoot, I can put six rounds on target with it in under 3 seconds...

Last edited by a moderator:
After 8 pages I don't see anyone mention trigger action. Many striker fired "plastic" pistols are double action resulting in a long heavy trigger pull. That's fine if you practice with it, but if you are used to shooting revolvers in single action mode then it will be tough to get used to. I prefer a single action trigger, but I suggest to the OP to try both. I like Taurus pistols for the money and their SA/DA triggers in their PRO series are pretty nice.

I think I'll have to go to a real range to decide. I liked the feel of some guns in my hand, and others not so much. But to shoot is something else too.

I think there are several other gun shops nearby and I know there are some sporting goods stores too, that may be associated with a range.

You don't necessarily have to go to a gun store to test fire a gun. If you have any friends that have various hand guns just arrange a day to go to the range with them. I find many times when I am at the range if I strike up a conversation with another shooter we end up swapping for a few rounds if one or the other has something new/different/or interesting. I have had the opportunity to shoot numerous different guns this way.

I have a Walther P22 in the 3.5 inch barrel. Love the gun. Just needs HV ammo. Comes in a 4.5 inch barrel as well which I would recommend for plinking. I can conceal mine in pocket. Spent 300 for it 2 years ago.

I think I'll have to go to a real range to decide. I liked the feel of some guns in my hand, and others not so much. But to shoot is something else too.

I think there are several other gun shops nearby and I know there are some sporting goods stores too, that may be associated with a range.

I would recommend a safety course and any other shooter courses that might be offered.

Like all things hobby, the more information you have the more you will enjoy it.

I have an HK usp 45.

One thing about the HK the size of the grip due to the doublestack is on the large side. So it helps to have bigger hands to grip one properly. Not a problem for me but it is for some.

Back