What kind of fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoke76

Reaction score
I'm think of doing a Hefe and want to try a Fruit beer. What goes good with a hefe? I was thinking either orange or strawberry. Also how much to use?

g

How about watermelon wheat....

http://www.21st-amendment.com/beerlist/
Watermelon Wheat ™

The definition of summer in a pint glass. This unique, American-style wheat beer, is brewed with 400 lbs. of fresh pressed watermelon in each batch. Light turbid, straw color, with the taste and essence of fresh watermelon. Finishes dry and clean. Now Available in Cans!

5.5% alcohol/vol. - 17 IBUs

dantodd said:
How about watermelon wheat....

http://www.21st-amendment.com/beerlist/
Watermelon Wheat ™

The definition of summer in a pint glass. This unique, American-style wheat beer, is brewed with 400 lbs. of fresh pressed watermelon in each batch. Light turbid, straw color, with the taste and essence of fresh watermelon. Finishes dry and clean. Now Available in Cans!

5.5% alcohol/vol. - 17 IBUs

that sounds very interesting.....

Raspberry Wheats are always a classic.

Watermelon wheat never lasts at the OBF. I'm told women love the stuff. I've never had it, because it's always gone by the time I get to the fest.

david_42 said:
Watermelon wheat never lasts at the OBF. I'm told women love the stuff. I've never had it, because it's always gone by the time I get to the fest.

I tried it a couple years ago at OBF (prompted by the "its sweet, we love it, woo!" chorus of 21st amendment fans).

Eh. I'm there for the DIPAs really, so I guess it isn't so much my thing, but I'd way rather have any of the non-fruity wheat beer styles, or one with a darker fruit in it (raspberry, cherry, blueberry, whatever). If you like lighter and slightly more sugary (as opposed to slightly more tart) fruit beers, give it a shot.

-D

of course, if I pressed 400 pounds of melons I might get in trouble with my wife. That or I'd be one of Cheesefood's avatars.

What do you guy's think about this. SWMBO has decided on orange.

10 oranges zested and add zest to last 15 min of boil in grain bag to keep together, then slice them and add to primary. Will this give me a prominent orange taste?

Sounds good to me. I would also throw in some chocolate wheat to give it that tootsie roll choclatey chew.

- WW

I've had a watermellon wheat beer that Dude made, and it was pretty tasty. Went down real well in the heat (it isn't something I'd be reaching for come February, whereas I might still crave a hefeweizen even during the winter).

Back