What kind of fermentor are you using..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ss Brewtech BrewMaster Buckets. Used 3 of them in the past before a life change that caused a one year hiatus and always been very very happy with them. Bought two when I started back up again, here they are in RCA beverage coolers purposed as fermentation chambers:

20190123_212718-jpg.608874

Rev.

Wife bought me one nice wine refrigerator with a digital thermostat. I also have an inherited 7 cu.ft. freezer to modify with an InkBird. I truly like Rev2010's modest take on this as my preference is for steel compared to the carboys currently being used for basic ale in my house.
It's a tug-of-war on which configuration use at some point but it's nice to see a great concept in pictures.

I have the 18g version. It's awesome but as someone else noted ensure your getting a unitank firstly as a non pressurizable conical isn't really gonna do anything you can't already do and also think long and hard about how your gonna cool it. Generally your looking at glycol or a stand-up freezer. If your not planning on using either those options it's not a upgrade imho and those cooling options may cost more than the conical did. Cheers

For a conical, I have a fermentasaurus... I might have spent to much of my beer budget on perlick 650's for my keezer to get something shiny.
That said, I really like the fermentasaurus.
But also typically have more then one batch on the go... so also have two 6g and one 7g fermonster.

I use a Big Mouth Bubbler and a Better Bottle. Either will fit in my wine fridge fermentation chamber, which has a clear door. Both fermenters are clear. I like that.

I want to see the yeast do their thing -- it's part of the joy of brewing. I rigged a window shade I can pull up to shield them from light when I'm not snooping on the yeast.

Both are equipped with drain valves from which I can collect samples, and easily drain them into kegs or bottling buckets. Both are easy to transport to the sink for cleaning. Neither will break and cut me.

What's not to love?

White 5 gallon bucket; no airlock, I just snap the lid on w/o a gasket. After a week, I transfer to a 4 gallon plastic carboy and (this is new) add an ounce of sugar to restart the fermentation so the yeast will scavenge the oxygen.

The plastic carboys are easier to clean than glass because the opening is larger, and they are shatterproof. I still have glass carboys that I sometimes use for wine.

I use a Big Mouth Bubbler and a Better Bottle. Either will fit in my wine fridge fermentation chamber, which has a clear door. Both fermenters are clear. I like that.

I want to see the yeast do their thing -- it's part of the joy of brewing. I rigged a window shade I can pull up to shield them from light when I'm not snooping on the yeast.

Both are equipped with drain valves from which I can collect samples, and easily drain them into kegs or bottling buckets. Both are easy to transport to the sink for cleaning. Neither will break and cut me.

What's not to love?
I looooovvee my big mouth bubblers!!

I just recently upgraded to using a 5 liter Erlenmeyer flask as my fermentor. It's very easy to sterilize it on a gas stove, and yet I can also put it onto a stir plate.

Three wide mouth 1 gallon glass better bottles for small batch wines. 3 six gallon glass car boys for full batch wines. A few 6 gallon buckets for beer. Yeah I have a problem I know.

What are you guys using to clean and sanitize your fermentors? Do you have to tear everything down to bits to clean and sanitize your ball valves, etc.?

What are you guys using to clean and sanitize your fermentors? Do you have to tear everything down to bits to clean and sanitize your ball valves, etc.?
I use starsan... A gallon goes a long way. After shaking it like it stole something I let the solution run through the spigot.

Biggity-bamm!!!! One sanitized primary.

I use a mixture of oxi-clean and TSP to clean, mixed up with hot water. I let some of the cleaning solution run through the drain valve. Then I disassemble the valve and toss the parts into the solution that's remaining in the fermenter to clean them. Everything is rinsed thoroughly with hot water.

When it comes time to fill the fermenter with the next brew, I rinse it out with StarSan.

One step work well in my opinion. The stuff was mad for industrial purpose originally. Hibiscus stains big time and one step turned my hops bag white again and accidentally got some in a cider I did and no issues.

Is there any meaningful difference between the Fermentasaurus and the Fastferment? Do they both fulfill their promise as a no-transfer-required solution? No problems with leaks or broken valves or keeping them clean/sanitized?

I think that works good, the gasket can be kinda a bear to get inplace but not too bad. one thing that i really didn't like was the butterfly valve, it was fairly aggressive no matter what i did, so I eliminated it, I got a mason jar lid with an 1 1/2" tri clamp that I installed and added a 3/4" ball valve so that when I want to drain the trub and whatever else I have a ball valve and can dump slowly and not introduce a jar of oxygen to the fermenter through the beer. Overall I really like it, easy to clean, easy to use, and I like that it is clear, I'm one of those people that likes to see the fermentation process

Is there any meaningful difference between the Fermentasaurus and the Fastferment? Do they both fulfill their promise as a no-transfer-required solution? No problems with leaks or broken valves or keeping them clean/sanitized?
I went for Fast Ferment conicals and so far have found them to be absolutely fine... easy to clean and sanitize.
I had read some reviews of leaks and was a bit worried by that... but I have nothing bad to report so far. From what I could tell from the posts I had seen, the leaks had come when people didn't pay attention to having their gaskets and O-rings in place properly...
I have probably done six or seven batches in each of mine, so maybe time will tell.

As far as being a plastic conical, probably not much difference. You can carbonate/condition/serve/closed transfer from the fermentasaurus using the pressure lid.

I think that works good, the gasket can be kinda a bear to get inplace but not too bad. one thing that i really didn't like was the butterfly valve, it was fairly aggressive no matter what i did, so I eliminated it, I got a mason jar lid with an 1 1/2" tri clamp that I installed and added a 3/4" ball valve so that when I want to drain the trub and whatever else I have a ball valve and can dump slowly and not introduce a jar of oxygen to the fermenter through the beer. Overall I really like it, easy to clean, easy to use, and I like that it is clear, I'm one of those people that likes to see the fermentation process
Do you have a picture of your butterfly valve work around?

4 plastic buckets, plus 1 that I borrow from a neighbor if the pipeline requires it.

Attachments

• ADA7544A-6740-4B98-ADA0-4E6A48B32EE4.jpeg
    ADA7544A-6740-4B98-ADA0-4E6A48B32EE4.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 131
Has anyone used these? They randomly showed up on my amazon search yesterday.

VEVOR 14 Gallon Stainless Steel Brew Fermenter Home Brewing Brew Bucket Fermenter With conical base Brewing Equipment https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MMRF9MD/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The 7 gallon has an inside picture of the cone, it doesn’t look pretty
View attachment 614881
For a margainal price difference, the brew bucket is a no brainer.

...the upside down airlock is a nice touch though. :drunk:

I have 2 15gal brewers hardware conicals 1 temp controlled, 1 is not... they are both great if you can spare the coin. If i could do it over again i would forgo the none temp controlled and have them both controlled

I used a FastFerment for 2 years and 31 batches. Never a liquid leak. Had trouble getting a good lid seal. Not a major problem but I like watching the airlock bubble. Easy to clean and sanitize. Temp control can be a challenge due to the size and shape. Closed transfer was easy using a sample port installed about 3 inches above the main dump valve. I stopped doing a trub dump and yeast harvesting After a few batches so the collection ball and dump valve were of no real use for me.

After batch 31 I dropped it while cleaning and broke the main valve off. Replaced it with a SSBrewtech 7 gallon BrewBucket BME. Glad I did. Much easier to handle. Temp control is a lot easier too. Definitely a step up from the FastFerment. For the price difference the BrewBucket is a better choice IMHO. dose everything I need it to do and it will outlive me.

hey guys im thinking about upgrading to a conical fermentor... what are you using??

60L Speidel plastic fermentor. It holds more than 60 liters and works pretty well for 15 gallon batches. I do use about 3 drops of foam control from 5-star in the fermentor and a blow off instead of the airlock.

Pros
Fits in my fermentation fridge
Half barrel volume
Holds pressure up to about 3 PSI for transfers
Huge opening makes it easy to clean
Just exactly fits on Mark II keg washer
Norcal accessories
Flexible so if you watch what you are doing with pressurization you can stop the gas before you damage your fermentor

Cons
It is plastic so need to be careful not to scratch inside
Too heavy to move when full - at least for me
Can't dump the trub
No sanitary yeast harvesting - it will be open to the environment when you harvest

Other issues

I am still struggling with the closed transfers. Without being able to dump the yeast I am trying to rotate my dip tup above the cake. Sometimes this works and I can get a decent flow but most times I pull a bit of yeast/trub and plug the poppet on the keg and have to disassemble, clean and reassemble completely wiping out the oxygen free transfer goal. I still \have to pressure transfer because the fermentor sits about 16" off the ground in my fridge and so can't gravity fill kegs. Last batch I was in a hurry and didnt even try the closed transfer. Just used gas to push the beer o an open kegs (I purged the keg a bit but completely no point). This went fast and easy and I'm trying out 1/2 tablet campden to scavenge the O2 in the kegs.

I had to re-think temperature control. I previously used STC controlling fridge and reptile bulb in the fridge. Taped probe to side of fermentor with insulation over. Worked fine with two six gallon glass or relatively thin walled plastic fermentors holding maybe 11 gallons max beer. When I went to 16 gallons in the thick walled Spiedel with probe in thermowell I immediately got off flavors that seemed similar to beers I'd tasted from new brewers with poor temperature control. Sure enough I got a data logger and tracked the temps in the fermentor and the fridge (actually got 2 data loggers and another thermowell) and saw ginormous temperature swings especially during first 24-48 hours of fermentation when the wort is relatively still - yeast activity not yet keeping it mixed. What was happening was my fridge would over shoot the chill and system would call for heat. Then the unit would get quite warm and overshoot high. I ended up switching the controller out for the Auber dual probe. That one lets you monitor the temp in the fridge and the temp in the beer and you set limits on how high or low you are willing to let the fridge go.

I'm considering switching to conical mainly due to my lingering packaging aggravation. I believe ability to dump the trub before kegging (less issues with plugging poppets) and having the beer higher than the keg to get more gravity assist would make this easier and faster. I guess down side would be a bit more work to clean but likely better certainty about the sanitation. I'd also have to get rid of my fridge and would plan to go to coil in the beer for temperature control and assume that would be a new learning curve but most seem happy with that strategy.

No problem, I really like this because of being able to have more control of dumping the trub and harvesting yeast and not disturbing to much in the fermenter, the lid that came from nor-cal and the 1 1/2" tri-clamp and the 3/4" ball valve were all sources individually but pretty easy to put together

Back