What kind of fermentor are you using..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcpomp

Reaction score
hey guys im thinking about upgrading to a conical fermentor... what are you using??

hey guys im thinking about upgrading to a conical fermentor... what are you using??

spikeconical.jpg

Last edited:
I scored a couple ss brewtech 7G conicals off of another member here on HBT. Before that, I used some indigogo "vessel" stainless fermenters that look a lot like this:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Stainless-Steel-Portable-Milk-Container_60548466901.html
Before that, I used glass carboys, and before that, a better bottle.

Sad to say, I still have all of them, two conicals, two milk buckets, three glass carboys and one better bottle. I should probably give away/sell some...

EDIT: forgot, i also used a bucket once or twice. Still have that too.

Jcpomp, I love it. it is a cheap alternative to a conical. There have been a couple reviews about poor feet but I find a little care reduces the wear.
It is very easy to clean. The single valve is simple and cleans easy as well.
If I needed another fermenter I would definately get another one.

Jcpomp, I love it. it is a cheap alternative to a conical. There have been a couple reviews about poor feet but I find a little care reduces the wear.
It is very easy to clean. The single valve is simple and cleans easy as well.
If I needed another fermenter I would definately get another one.

what he said. I really like my SS Brewbucket. Always used glass before that, but was living on "borrowed time" carrying my full, glass carboy from the garage down to my basement. The bucket is so easy to clean too.

What kind of beer do you usually brew?

me? as far as i've been told 'Brüt Farmhouse APA'......occasionally i splurge on the juice to run the fridge to use lager yeast though, so someone would have to coin what to call that!

But on a more serious note, they work good and only cost $20 at the farm store i go to for barley....

edit: (someone on the morebeer forum is who tipped me off to them, 12 years ago)

What are you expecting to achieve by going to a conical and have you though about the drawbacks of one? Do you have some active temperature control that the conical will fit into? It won't improve your beer if you go from a bucket that fits into a refrigerated space to a conical that won't fit and has to be used at room temp.

I've had as many as 3 wines and 4 beers in fermenters at the same time so stainless steel of any shape is way out of my budget. I use Better Bottles and buckets. I probably have less invested in all my vessels than what ONE conical would cost.

I
I've had as many as 3 wines and 4 beers in fermenters at the same time so stainless steel of any shape is way out of my budget. I use Better Bottles and buckets. I probably have less invested in all my vessels than what ONE conical would cost.
What I do is I have a single stainless fermenter that due to my brew schedule is used for about 90% of my beers, and if I have fermenter contention I break out the carboys and the buckets (or my barrel if it is a long term big, dark beer). That way for the vast majority of my brews I get the benefits of the stainless vessel, but still have flexibility.

Last edited:
SSB 14 gal Unitank with way too many accys added to every available port...
Pressureless conicals are for pussies (just kidding! ;)).

20181229_133231.jpg
Speidel 45L stainless fermenter, picked it up so I could use my previously purchased Norcal speidel accessories, and it fit in my ferm chamber. I also added a second port to the lid.

Last edited:
I used to ferment in the 25 gallon brewpot (BIAB style), then siphon straight to the kegs. All that rig is at my son-in-law's house.
Now I am in an RV, so I broke down and bought a Cooper's Kit from DIY.com. When I am parked for 2 weeks I make a batch. Then the beer is bottled and carbed in another week. 2 cases of Homebrew lasts longer now that I am on the road.

I'm using a fermonster. I like it better than glass because it has a valve and has a bigger opening in top for hop additions and cleaning. Looking to go with something bigger that has temp control down the road.
20190127_123207.jpeg

image.jpeg
I bought this last year and I am extremely happy with Spike's CF10. I will probably buy another one later in the year as my production increases. While I do not know the qualifying process for those that may not be able to pay for the conical all at once, Spike offers 0% (interest free) financing up to 24 months to qualified buyers.

The catalyst fermentation system and a couple of mini big mouth bubblers and also a 1 gallon aging cask soaked in the kraken black rum. That's been aging with a vanilla honey dirty blonde ***** ale for about a month now. It'll be done as soon as I get back from Turkey right around Thanksgiving.

SS Brewtech Brewbucket, used for two
batches so far, nice upgrade from plastic. Could use more head space for big beers, have a RIS in now that needed a blow off tube first couple days.

View attachment 613958 Ss Brewbucket myself. Best brewery upgrade so far, hands down. Lately I've been spending some cash Chronicalizing it.
Been thinking about that set up for my 7 gal brew bucket. If it's not too much trouble, how tall is your rig from top to bottom? I'd like to know if mine would still fit in my minifridge. Thanks

I use a 7 gal brew bucket, a 3.5 gal brew bucket, and the 2 gal Mr Beer plastic keg.
I use a 4.4 cu ft mini fridge for ferm chamber, so I can either fit 2 small batches with the 3.5 ss brew bucket and 2.25 gal in the Mr Beer keg, or a 5 gal batch with the 7 gal ss brew bucket. I kinda like alternating back and forth for varieties sake.

I'm currently using the speidels poly 30L and 12L fermenter's. I like the 65L Kellermeister it goes for $299ish and its a conical fermenter. I like there egg as well. But its a personal thing as you know. Good luck in what ever conical you get.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Home Brew mobile app

I use a Blichmann in a stand up freezer w/ a heat wrap and an Inkbird controller. I rocked a 7.5 gal no name conical for a while and it was a nice and cheap upgrade from the carboy. Basically conicals are nice because they allow you to take quick and easy samples of the beer during fermentation. With that said, I think they are much more difficult to clean/sanitize compared to a carboy that I can just wash out in my sink. Anybody else out there share this struggle? Tips/tricks?

Attachments

• IMG_3919.JPG
    IMG_3919.JPG
    341.1 KB · Views: 203
I use a Blichmann in a stand up freezer w/ a heat wrap and an Inkbird controller. I rocked a 7.5 gal no name conical for a while and it was a nice and cheap upgrade from the carboy. Basically conicals are nice because they allow you to take quick and easy samples of the beer during fermentation. With that said, I think they are much more difficult to clean/sanitize compared to a carboy that I can just wash out in my sink. Anybody else out there share this struggle? Tips/tricks?
Big kitchen sink and sprayer for my 7.5g ssbrewtech so far. I think I might spring for this though:
https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/accessories/products/mini-cip-spray-ball-1-5-tc-assembly

The Ss Brewbucket fits in a Mark's Keg Washer II, would a 7.5g conical?

Dangit! Now I know why I don't log on here very often. You all got me thinking about changing up from a standup conical, to something that I could clean on a keg washer, but still take daily samples of.

Keep this in mind OP. With so many different types of fermenters out there, you've really gotta pick what fits your setup the best. A plastic bucket and a temp controller will make better beer than the shinest stainless ever could by itself. ;)

Latest posts

Back