What Juice to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any brands to look for or conversely stay away from when making hard cider from store bought juices? Also, I know it has been asked and answered but I can't find it right now, how do you tell if the juice has preservatives in it or not?

Thanx

Just look in the ingredients list. If there's something listed other than pastuerized apple juice, there you go.

Just look in the ingredients list. If there's something listed other than pastuerized apple juice, there you go.

Not true, if it has water, other sugars (HFCS, etc), or citric acid (vitamin C) it's still ok to use. If it contains potasium sorbate or anything that it list as "_____ perservative" stay away.

so just to clarify I can use apple juice, it does not have to say apple cider on the label?

Yes, most people refer to cider as juice that contains solids (apple pieces), but either will work. It's debatable which produces a better end product or is easier to work with.

Just as long as it's 100% apple juice, you're sweet. I've never had a problem with any brand, from Copella to supermarket stuff...and with adding some blended fruit tins in! After all - when it comes down to cider, unless you own an orchard, apples are apples, basically. :)

If you are like me and don't want to use juice from China (they use pesticides etc that are banned here), read VERY carefully. The country of origin is almost always printed directly on the container as a post-process rather than on the label. On concentrate cans, it's usually printed on the end cap; on plastic jugs, its usually printed on the plastic, above the label.

I'm in PA. With the exception of Wegman's and Whole Foods (i.e. 365) brand juice, and Cascadian Farms organic concentrate, ALL juice/concentrate that I've encountered is from China (partially or entirely). I am not including fresh juice or juice with preservatives (i.e. Zeiglers) in this count.

Back