What is your 'must have on hand' style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piperlester

Reaction score
I'm curious what others have for styles that you NEED to keep on hand. My third batch is in secondary, so still figuring this out for myself but swmbo has informed me that a brown ale must always be present and ready to drink.

I have a few beers that I brew all the time....
IPA - I would guess I have my IPA on tap all the time.... maybe a week here or there over the past couple years where I did not have one quite ready. But, virtually 100% of the time.

Blonde Ale - probably have it on tap 80-90% of the time
Pilsner - Probably on tap 70-80% of the time

In the fall/winter I always have a porter on tap from September-March or so.

Those 4 styles are pretty routine for me, and then I supplement with other ones depending on season and what I want to brew.

Something easy drinking, and shareable (popular with guests) like a Heffe, wit or Dunkelweizen, the dark beer for fall and winter.

My hops and dreams Belgian Pale Ale is in very high demand, people keep asking me when are you going to brew this one again, answer would be pretty soon. And then pretty soon after that!

Really solid lager,
Preferably a Pils, or marzen/bock/dbock, and a an over the top IPA.

Gotta be low oxygen too. None of that standard stuff.

Last edited:
I have got to have my favorite beer style on hand all the time. An American west coast red ale. Extra caramelly base, with a lot of west coast fruity hops. Topped off with a good shot of casade at flame out, & dry hopped with even more casade.

Red Ale ( malty, warm, dry-ish, low ABV )
Black IPA/Hoppy Porter
Any style of belgian beer!
A hoppy/"aromatic" pale ale/IPA style beer
ESB

Variety! When purchasing beer from the store I always went for mix packs. Right now I have 6 homemade available and ready to drink. I always have to have a cider for the wife, the other 4 or 5 can be up to me. I like to have a milder IPA and a Porter at all times, and something wheat. My other 2 are currently a white chocolate blonde stout and an amber. The next 3 I have in queue are Fat Tire Clone, Kolsch, and a standard blond ale.

So interesting, I like ipas but it's the one style I dont brew very often. The reason being is the variety of hops are hard to buy in bulk. They seem fairly expensive to brew so its one style I dont brew often. I like to have founders kbs clone around, but I change what I want to have around by season and or what peaks my interest. Right now the presidential honey ale has me curious for example. Also a westvletern clone sounds interesting.

Either a huge double IPA with fruity citrusy aroma/flavor. Not with actual grape fruit other citrus. Ie: beer flavored fruit juice.

Or

A double Russian imperial stout.

Or... occasionally a nice 5 or 6 or 7% standard IPA.

Since about all I brew and drink are IPAs, I always must have a at least a couple different IPAs on hand. That was easy. :cool:

A Belgian. Either a golden or a saison. My days of cramming as much alcahol and/or hops as I can get in a beer are (mostly) behind me.

I much rather prefer sub 5% beers, with some forays in to sub 4%’s. They are a challenge to brew and have come out balanced and full bodied. Lately it be been experimenting with old English ales. Belgians I have been doing for a while.

The wife likes porters, stouts and browns. So there is usually something along those lines on tap. There is always a cellar full of sours in bottles also.

Some kind of lawnmower-beer light crowd pleaser - sometimes it's a Vienna lager, sometimes it's a Maris Otter SMASH, sometimes it's an altbier, sometimes it's Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer.

I always have a Stout on hand.
For those who don't like them I try to keep a batch of Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer on hand as well.

I usually have something light and easy drinking on hand all the time: Kölsch, Cream Ale, American Lager. My dad really appreciates that. I usually try to keep something red/amber too. Irish Red or Scottish ale.

I have a couple of house beers, a Cream Ale and a Porter. One of those is usually on tap, depending on the season.

Last week I added a third tap to my keg fridge. Now I have to decide what to put in the rotation to utilize that.

Mark

Right now I'm running with a single keg which makes what I have on tap highly seasonable - typically light hop forward beers in the spring and summer and darker beers in the fall and winter. This year I will expand the brewery to 3 kegs. I'm planning on having an easy drinking american pale (house pale) and two rotational kegs to brew whatever I'm in the mood for.

I have a house saison and a modified EdWort's Apfelwein on tap at pretty much all times. Only leaves two available for experiments and seasonal, but the wife loves both of them and won't complain as long as they're both always there.

fwiw, I run six faucets, one is always occupied by my imperial chocolate stout.
That's the "gotta have it no matter what!" brew. Everything else could run out in theory and I'd still be content :)

Otherwise, I try to keep a wheat and a Trappist running, and the rest are invariably a collection of ipas, including a couple of neipas...

Cheers! :mug:

fwiw, I run six faucets, one is always occupied by my imperial chocolate stout.
That's the "gotta have it no matter what!" brew. Everything else could run out in theory and I'd still be content :)

Otherwise, I try to keep a wheat and a Trappist running, and the rest are invariably a collection of ipas, including a couple of neipas...

Cheers! :mug:

Imp Choc Stout sounds fantastic.

It truly is. I've kept it on tap continuously for almost a full decade now, put it on nitro about five years ago which only made it even better.
I have a short pour almost every evening before hitting the rack.
You could float a stack of caps on that head...

Cheers!

chocolate_stout.jpg

I always have a Working Mans Beer on tap.

And I mean a stout of some sort.

Back