What is your "House" flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry41h

Reaction score
How many of you have a certain element of fermentation, wort building, or hopping that you do to most every beer you brew out of superstition or just for your own "House" flavor?
For example, I like to bitter most every beer I brew with Magnum for that ultra clean bitter character. Based on recent success with Warrior hops in late additions, I'm also considering that beers I brew going forward have at least some element of Warrior in the finish. Anybody else have anything they'd feel is fun the chime in with?

[email protected]

I add some amount of munich malt to nearly every beer I make. Also I First wort hop nearly every beer that has a 60 min. boil.

I don't have one yet. I suspect eventually it may be using Marris Otter for base. I am still experimenting with bittering hops. I am sure I eventually go one main variety.

Beezy said:
I don't have one yet. I suspect eventually it may be using Marris Otter for base. I am still experimenting with bittering hops. I am sure I eventually go one main variety.

You know, I love MO, but I've gotten too crazy with it and ended up with the English malt character that I didn't necessarily want in that particular beer. Although, they were quite tasty!

[email protected]

Im pretty impressed at warrior for bittering, i used it in my first lager and is one of my best beers.I dont have any common thing I use because i try many styles and many grains. I usuallly use Danstar or Fermentis yeast though. I like most of them t-58 worked beautifuly in my Hefeweizen. 05, 04 and all of the rest i used randomly based on the style.I like 04 in pale ales alot. Im kinda using a little golden naked oats or rye flakes more these days.

mhenry41h said:
You know, I love MO, but I've gotten too crazy with it and ended up with the English malt character that I didn't necessarily want in that particular beer. Although, they were quite tasty!

[email protected]

I haven't bought bulk yet so I tend to just get 10 pounds of whatever the recipe calls for. Once I get 50 pounders I might just go with what I have. If I don't like MO in everything then I won't do it. I haven't got to that place in my brewing yet tho.

Brew a lot, but don't post a lot (I've been free-riding).

I use German Pils in everything, and Kolsch (wlp 029) yeast for all brews except wheat beers (3068) and a Saison (3711).

Catawampus said:
Brew a lot, but don't post a lot (I've been free-riding).

I use German Pils in everything, and Kolsch (wlp 029) yeast for all brews except wheat beers (3068) and a Saison (3711).

I like the Pils Malt idea a lot. One of my local craft breweries, Troegs, seems to use Pils Malt as a base for nearly everything they brew. I know the extra boil time to reduce DMS precursors is a pain, but there is something delicious about that clean, grainy-sweet Pils base in nearly every brew! I like it!

[email protected]

For me, it might be adding rye malt. For many beers, it's only a little bit, probably unnoticeable to 99% of people. But I think "just a hint" works well in a lot of beers. And of course more than just a little rye in several beers.

I always first Wort hop and add a pound of cane sugar. Not controlling temp also gives me a notable ester character in my brews as well.

Yeah, those 90 minute boils can suck when you're pressed for time on an impromptu brew day. But, that taste of sweet grain on the first sip is worth it every time IMO.

Like the previous poster, I also use Magnum every brew for the first addition. So, I have the German Pils, Kolsch yeast, and Magnum for the house style.

I like the Pils Malt idea a lot. One of my local craft breweries, Troegs, seems to use Pils Malt as a base for nearly everything they brew. I know the extra boil time to reduce DMS precursors is a pain, but there is something delicious about that clean, grainy-sweet Pils base in nearly every brew! I like it!

[email protected]

My house flavor has to be that of Great Western two row base bittered with Centennial and finished with either Amarillo or US Northern Brewer and fermented with WLP 001 or US05. Most of my ales are variations of those basic components. I keep it simple. My ales resemble Sierra Nevada ales in that way.

I find a recipe that i want to try and i will manipulate almost every aspect of that recipe until its a completely different beer. I dont think i have followed any recipe as written.

I tend to use chinook hops a lot...

I'd really like to find a "house yeast", but I'm still trying out different ones.

Munich in almost every batch
Franco Belges 60L in most batches

FWH every batch.

I like to FWH a lot of my ales with Nugget, gives all of them a nice light earthyness and smooth bitterness, and a hint of peach flavor in the lighter ales.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Home Brew Talk

I use marris otter for my base malt for everything. For wheat beers, I'll do 60%wheat and 40% MO. For most big beers, I love the combo of MO and vienna. I also first wort hop all of my bittering additions because I have a strong distaste for harsh bitterness.

Andrewtherooster said:
I like to use raw cane sugar when bottle conditioning. I think it adds this nice, soft carbonation and kind of rounds out the flavors.

I use cane. I don't think it makes much difference tbh.

For dark beers I always use brown sugar. It takes a little longer to carb but I brew fairly strong and complex dark beers that have to age anyway.

In my experience, there is a subtle difference in bottling with refined sugar as opposed to raw sugar. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I taste a difference.

I swear I can taste the brown sugar but I am more willing to believe that this is only because I know it's there.

Back