What is Your Favorite Commercial Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought Old Rasputin was overhyped. Seriously disappointed in it based on all the reviews I have heard/read.

For me, chalk up another Left Hand Milk stout fan here! Brew the clone every year.
Founders breakfast stout was really good too, but hard to justify $4 a bottle (what it costs by me).

Bell's makes excellent stouts, but I think I like Founders Breakfast a bit more. That being said, the my favorite is Madrugada Obscura by Jolly Pumpkin. Just comes out in the winter, and you better be a fan of sour/brett beers, but the play of the cherry notes of the brett and the roast is very nice.

I love Old Rasputin for the price/excellence. There are better, but not at $9 a 4pack. I can't stand it from a bar though. It has no flavor on nitrogen IMHO.

Cheers on that then on both fronts. I also wouldn't be surprised if it sat on the shelf for a while as craft beer doesn't fly off the shelves in my podunk town. :D

probably this. i had it too and it tasted just fine. i poured it into a glass and didn't get any metallic tastes. if i drink from the can i can taste metal (in any beer) but if i pour it into a glass i don't. if you poured it into a glass it was either subconscious or it had sat for too long. do you taste the metal from the keg? anyway, i would think its worth another try if you see it somewhere. (especially if you find it in a keg or something):mug:

Sam Smith Oatmeal is my standby. Santas Little Helper is currently my favorite RIS. Firestone Walker Parabola is up there and Fifty Fifty Eclipse for barrel aged.
I tried a clone of the SSOS, screwed up when measuring the Roasted Barley and didnt' realize it until after it was added. Ended up with a delicious Dry Irish Stout though, scored a 39 locally so I was proud of my screwup. I need to find where I kept my notes for that batch, it's about time for another.

Founders Breakfast, but Bells has many good ones, and Dominion Oak Barrel is pretty tasty too.

+1 for Obsidian. Seems there just aren't enough Deschutes fans around here. They don't make a bad beer. Obsidian and Black Butte (their porter) are my go-to commercial dark beers. Nothing ground-breaking, but everything they do is SOLID.

. Seems there just aren't enough Deschutes fans around here. They don't make a bad beer. Obsidian and Black Butte (their porter) are my go-to commercial dark beers. Nothing ground-breaking, but everything they do is SOLID.

They make great beer!!

My list: Dry: Murphy's Irish Stout
Sweet: Young's Double Chocolate
Imperial: Sam'l Smith's or SN 30th ann'y. That beer was absolutely
Amazing!!!!

Sierra Nevada as a regular, but had youngs double choc at a beerfest and it was good!!

I'm really diggin Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout and Stock Yard Oatmeal Stout from Trader Joes. The TJ's beers are $5.99 a sixer - can't be beat.

vinyl_key said:
Velvet Merkin. Feels like velvet on my pallet. Thankfully, it doesn't feel like a merkin.

Finally! I read the whole thread to see if anyone mentioned the VM so I have to give a big +1. I love Firestone Walker.

Left-hand Milk Stout and their Imperial Stout are both tasty. I had one from Weston Brewery that I can't remember the name of but it was fantastic. It's out of Weston, MO. If your near there. Great little town too.

No clones but I'm hoping to make a stout as my second beer.

Sent from my Droid using Home Brew Talk

ForumRunner_20111224_224906.jpg

Rasputin is just lovely. In a bottle please, I hear nothing redeeming about the kegged variety though I've not had the opportunity to try it myself.

Back