What is Your Favorite Bottle to Use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTXBrauer

Reaction score
I use a mix of 12 oz and 22 oz bottles normally. I did get my hands on some 500 ml bottles (16.9 oz) that I will be filling up next.

What size/type of bottles does everyone else like to use?:mug:

I keg and bottle. When I bottle I prefer to use the 22 oz bottles as there are less to deal with but I also have cases of standard 12 oz bottles that I use as well, mostly for the 6 packs I give out as gifts or for competetions

Though I am just getting back into brewing, I wanted to minimize the bottle cleaning and filling so I went with 3 x 6 liter Tap A Brew bottles. We'll see how it works.

NTXBrauer said:
Anyone user larger size bottles? Wine bottles or growlers?
neither of those are designed for pressure so not recommended and even dangerous

I would like to bottle some Christmas Ale in one of these, if possible. Definitely some more reading on the pressure they can handle will be done.

growler.jpg

Low grav: 500ml swing tops (brown, no grolsch!)

high grav: 250ml "Fruli" bottles.. not many around.

Honorable mention: 1L swing tops, bombers, and the chouffe

Redhook bottles (12oz, but smaller height wise than a standard bottle) are my favorite as they are small and can easily fit in places cans can fit in the fridge.

You want to look for groslch bottles as they are decorative and built for pressure

for the 12oz bottles I like sierra nevada's stubby bottles
most of my brews goes into 22oz bottles, in these I like the ones that are more bullet shaped and less "belgian shouldered"

I also like a lot of the 750 mL bottles, especially dogfish head

Here is my coolest so far, this was for a berliner weiss, 4 volumes CO2, I will be bottling my Belgian Dubble in these (the brown ones) shortly and then do the Berlinners in the green bottles (almost no hops...) and the belgians in the true belgian bottles:

2013-05-18-124103-60027.jpg

You want to look for groslch bottles as they are decorative and built for pressure

I like the grolsch bottle style, and had in my collection before. The swing top stopper style is what I am looking for.

for the 12oz bottles I like sierra nevada's stubby bottles
most of my brews goes into 22oz bottles, in these I like the ones that are more bullet shaped and less "belgian shouldered"

I also like a lot of the 750 mL bottles, especially dogfish head

Here is my coolest so far, this was for a berliner weiss, 4 volumes CO2, I will be bottling my Belgian Dubble in these (the brown ones) shortly and then do the Berlinners in the green bottles (almost no hops...) and the belgians in the true belgian bottles:

2013-05-18-124103-60027.jpg

Nice presentation.. champange corked and wire tied, I like it. I have not tried a Berliner Weiss...it will be added to the list. :)

Some cheap champagne and sparkling cider bottles take 26mm caps, so those are nice. I have a magnum in which I bottle since I have a 29mm capper bell, as well as a lot of standard size bottles, some of which are these frosted brown ones. I like Sam Adams long-necks because the labels come off easily, and the boxes fit nicely in file cabinets. The stubbies are shorter, but since they're wider they don't fit as well. I like green bottles for my

I prefer the stubby bottles, but I do use 22's and just about anything I've already de-labled. When I don't keg, that is. Kegging is the only way to go.

sierra nevada stubbies, any brown glass non screw-top longnecks for 12's, any bombers I can get for 22's and a nice collection of 16 and 14oz swing tops, I just make sure to keep the Grolsch bottles out of direct sunlight. I have two cornies but I don't have a fridge for them, so, I occasionally find myself bottling 18 gallons of beer in a single day. After washing and hand-filling 14 someodd cases you feel awfully manly however, it's good for the constitution:). Talk about a PITA. One of the cornies, however, has a really nice aged multi-berry melomel, so, not such a bad thing I guess ;)

Back