What is your Brewing Pet-Peeve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeast hydrating instructions: Hydrate yeast at 85-95(100?)??? when you pitch at wort chilled to 65?
Anything wrong with hydrating at closer yeast pitching temps? I may never know?

Recipes that go through the trouble to list ingredients to the hundreth of an ounce and then assertion that close enough is just fine. Horseshoes or hand grenades?

Raising gravity for the sake of raising gravity. Okay, your beer is going to have more alcohol in it. Do you like being drunk? Just do shots of vodka if that's the case. A lot less trouble, a lot quicker, and probably a lot cheaper in the long run. Most of my beers that I brew now, aside from the occasional Imperial Stout or Trappist-esque Belgian, are between 3-5% abv. Why? Because I like drinking beer, not getting drunk.

People who insist that their prehopped extract kit fermented at 85 degrees with no oxygenation is as good or better than all-grain beers.

People who complain about competitions and style guidelines. Maybe if you brewed better beer you would do better. It's not the guidelines fault.

Raising gravity for the sake of raising gravity. Okay, your beer is going to have more alcohol in it. Do you like being drunk? Just do shots of vodka if that's the case. A lot less trouble, a lot quicker, and probably a lot cheaper in the long run. Most of my beers that I brew now, aside from the occasional Imperial Stout or Trappist-esque Belgian, are between 3-5% abv. Why? Because I like drinking beer, not getting drunk.

+1. I have a few friends who ask if I would please up the alcohol content specifically for them to get a buzz off it. 'Uh, no.' But more power to those who want to.

My other peeve ... getting 'ran-over' at the wildly popular LHBS by brewers who think they own the place. Yes, you may spend a lot of money there, and yes, you are likely a more seasoned brewer than I, but that does not give you permission to throw typical civilities out the door. A while back I snapped at a guy because he rudely pushed me out of the mill I was using to grind my grain purchase, all while snidely commenting that I 'obviously ' had no clue what I was doing. (Granted I was struggling but had figured it out). I snapped back and said 'huh, I bet you were new to this once too, and thanks for your overwhelming help.'

He actually apologized the next time I saw him there....said he forgot that new brewers come in the door and that he should have offered assistance. I chalked it up to him just having a bad day.... but I've ran into it more than once. :(

+1. I have a few friends who ask if I would please up the alcohol content specifically for them to get a buzz off it. 'Uh, no.' But more power to those who want to.

My other peeve ... getting 'ran-over' at the wildly popular LHBS by brewers who think they own the place. Yes, you may spend a lot of money there, and yes, you are likely a more seasoned brewer than I, but that does not give you permission to throw typical civilities out the door. A while back I snapped at a guy because he rudely pushed me out of the mill I was using to grind my grain purchase, all while snidely commenting that I 'obviously ' had no clue what I was doing. (Granted I was struggling but had figured it out). I snapped back and said 'huh, I bet you were new to this once too, and thanks for your overwhelming help.'

He actually apologized the next time I saw him there....said he forgot that new brewers come in the door and that he should have offered assistance. I chalked it up to him just having a bad day.... but I've ran into it more than once. :(

Was this at Steinbart? A place I love, but could TOTALLY see that happening there... Man, I HATE stuff like that... The nerve! GRR! How about "Hey man, is that thing giving you grief? Can I help?". I used to hang out at a LHBS specifically to HELP the new folks coming in... Hopefully this time next year there will be a LHBS on the horizon so I can do that again... (local sore spot... politics... grrr :mad:)

on this forum? people not using the search function. this forum would have half the threads and a quarter of the posts if people bothered to look instead of asking "did i ruin mah beir?" for the ten thousandth time. no, mashing at 154 instead of 152 didn't ruin your beer.

Was this at Steinbart? A place I love, but could TOTALLY see that happening there... Man, I HATE stuff like that... The nerve! GRR! How about "Hey man, is that thing giving you grief? Can I help?". I used to hang out at a LHBS specifically to HELP the new folks coming in... Hopefully this time next year there will be a LHBS on the horizon so I can do that again... (local sore spot... politics... grrr :mad:)

You called it... it is indeed Steinbarts. Staff there is super awesome...its just some of the clientele that I seem to get a hard time from. Hubby's even noticed it and made the observation that perhaps its because I'm SWMBO (and might be looked at as a 'novelty'). I don't agree with this assertion as I feel a large number of us on this forum have probably experienced this. And kudos to you and anyone else willing to look out for the n00bies :rockin:

The abundance of bad advice.

" I've been brewing for two years and have made pretty much every style"

"so, I'm going to start a brewery...."

Homebrewers that think they can just go pro. There's a huge difference between 5 gallons and 7 barrels . Stop insulting professionals by minimalising their job.

Homebrewers that try to give pros advice.

Amazement over female brewers. This one puts me over the edge. Who would have thought that a woman could bear children AND brew beer? Hate to tell you but, pre industrialization, it was part of a woman's daily regimen to brew.

"! Wah! I can't believe I didn't win a medal. My beer is sooo good.". And your ego is huge. STFU!!!!

Mine has to be new brewers adding God-knows-what to their first batch ... Half-pound of chocolate, pine branch, slab of bacon, Twizzlers ... then asking why their batch didn't turn out right ... Why, WHY?

I agree with new brewers not going overboard. I think the Double choc. juniper strawberry sour wheat stoudt should wait a till a few brews in.

When I'm in the kitchen for three hours, the last 10 mins when I'm transferring my cooled wort to the fermenter (thats on the floor) is when my wife decides to march our Golden retriever through the kitchen to put him out. He's a dog...I'm pouring sweet smelling liquid in to a bucket on the floor...are you :drunk:

That and fruit flies....damn you fruit flies....damn you all to hell.( done in best Heston voice)

Instructions that do not follow a sequential order.

"Do this, then do that, but before you do that remember you first have to do this." :confused:

Use bullets.

1. Do this,
  2. do other thing,
  3. do that,

any question where the answer can be googled. you can use google to search any website , including HBT. its like using a phone without knowing how to talk.

whitehause said:
I agree with new brewers not going overboard. I think the Double choc. juniper strawberry sour wheat stoudt should wait a till a few brews in.

When I'm in the kitchen for three hours, the last 10 mins when I'm transferring my cooled wort to the fermenter (thats on the floor) is when my wife decides to march our Golden retriever through the kitchen to put him out. He's a dog...I'm pouring sweet smelling liquid in to a bucket on the floor...are you :drunk:

That and fruit flies....damn you fruit flies....damn you all to hell.( done in best Heston voice)

Amen!!!! God forbid I interrupt my wife when she is doing something she enjoys but when she throws a wrench in my hobby I am the *******. Her biggest sabatoge maneuver is to mess with the thermostat and mess with the fermentation. She doesn't do it on purpose but it just irks me because when I complain about it she doesn't get what the big deal is. I think it is time to show her what "rule of thumb" actually means!!!! I need a drink.

tom_gamer said:
I've done the no chill, not by choice, but had great success.

I no chill most of my beers. but it was the only pet peeve I disagreed with so I let it slide. ;) no chill is fine.

oh wait, winkys ( ;) ) are a pet peeve. and "lol".

I'm split on people posting new threads on stuff that can be googled. Yes, googling is very important, but it seems that one thread doesn't necessarily have all the answers. There are probably 10 threads on making beer a deep red color. Out of those about 6 are informative but it takes all of them to get all of the ideas, attempts, and results to get the full picture.

Something simple like starting a new thread for "what is batch sparging?" Ridiculous. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+batch+sparging

Stuck sparges are my brewing pet peeve.

And cleanup. Once I pitch yeast I just want to relax and have a bunch of minions come do the rest while I drink some homebrew.

One thing that has always bothered me in brewing is calling water you are going to brew with "liquor". It's just water dammit!

One thing that has always bothered me in brewing is calling water you are going to brew with "liquor". It's just water dammit!

Breweries do it to differentiate their various waters. "liquor" water is to be used IN the beer, whereas a pipe in the brewery labeled "water" is usually just city water that will be used for various things like cleaning equipment/work areas/etc.

1. Beer snobs who equate scarcity of a beer with quality.... "They only made 1 batch of this this bourbon-aged licorice/vanilla/chocolate/coffee/berry stout in 2008 and it's about impossible to get.".

2. Folks who think that the best beers have to be from the most extreme style: DIPAs or Imperial Stouts. So, a nuanced pale ale could never be better than a huge DIPA.

People who ***** about "beer snobs." Being judgmental towards the snobs makes you just as bad. Other than that, the fact that it's going to be difficult to get a freezer into my basement to use as a fermentation chamber.

Brewing Pet Peeves.

Isn't this supposed to be a fun hobby? Then why are we all getting bent out of shape? Lots of things on here are things that OTHER people are doing that impact the poster not one iota.

This. That is all.

liquor |ˈlikər|
noun
1 alcoholic drink, esp. distilled spirits.
2 a liquid produced or used in a process of some kind, in particular
• water used in brewing.
• liquid in which something has been steeped or cooked.
• liquid that drains from food during cooking.
• the liquid from which a substance has been crystallized or extracted.

Slowfro's answer was accurate as well.

The fact that a 1g batch takes the same amount of time as a 5g batch. I'd love to experiment more but I'm afraid to have 5g batches of a beer I don't like but always feel like a smaller batch is a waste of time.

rifraf said:
The fact that a 1g batch takes the same amount of time as a 5g batch. I'd love to experiment more but I'm afraid to have 5g batches of a beer I don't like but always feel like a smaller batch is a waste of time.

I like to brew a five gal batch and split it across two 3-gal fermenters. Do one with one yeast, other with another yeast. Or dry hop one with Simcoe, other with something else or no dry hops at all. Helps with the experimenting.

People who agonize over their recipe, end up with a 1.090 beer with all sorts of adjuncts and spices, and then pitch one vial/smackpack of yeast without a starter into 85 degree wort.

Your recipe can be stellar, but if you don't treat the yeast right, your beer will suck. Conversely, you can have a mediocre recipe, but if you *do* treat the yeast right, you'll at least end up with mediocre-to-good beer.

bobbrews said:
I have a few:

*Adding fruit, oak, bourbon, or spices if you've brewed less than 5 batches, and sometimes more. This is also a fad.

Actually... Not a fad. Considering all of those things have been done for centuries.

My pet peeve? People on here that hate on new brewers making high abv or high number of adjunct beers in their first few batches. Many people get into brewing because of DIPAs or a beer with cactus fruit in it. My first brew outside of mr beer was a DIPA an my 4th batch was an 10% Belgian golden strong with peaches in it. To each his own...

My pet peeve? People on here that hate on new brewers making high abv or high number of adjunct beers in their first few batches. Many people get into brewing because of DIPAs or a beer with cactus fruit in it. My first brew outside of mr beer was a DIPA an my 4th batch was an 10% Belgian golden strong with peaches in it. To each his own...

I wouldn't say that someone *shouldn't* do this -- only that it's pretty risky to take on big beers if you're not careful about a few things. My view is that with all beers, proper yeast pitch rates and fermentation temperature control are very important. These are very important with normal-ABV beer, but critically important with high-ABV beer.

So there's nothing wrong with a novice taking on a beer like this, as long as they're open-minded and willing to do the extra work needed to ensure it's done right.

But if they just throw in a single vial of yeast without a starter, and don't control ferment temps, they shouldn't be surprised when the OG 1.090 beer only gets down to FG of 1.035, and is loaded with fusel alcohol flavors.

YouTube videos of "brewers" with top of the line equipment that seem to have no idea what they are doing. It's not the equipment that makes you good, its the process. This goes for anything.

People with expensive sports bikes where you can tell on their tires they never leaned into a corner their entire life.

People with top of the line guitar equipment that can even hold a beat.

Practice makes perfect, not money.

YouTube videos of "brewers" with top of the line equipment that seem to have no idea what they are doing. It's not the equipment that makes you good, its the process. This goes for anything.

People with expensive sports bikes where you can tell on their tires they never leaned into a corner their entire life.

People with top of the line guitar equipment that can even hold a beat.

Practice makes perfect, not money.

Nothing wrong with buying good equipment if you have the money. There's no rule that says you have to learn to brew on ghetto equipment. Why not buy good equipment from the start, and practice on that?

When posters on here go off on a tangent about how they do a certain thing that is completely irrelevant to the original poster's question. Everyone has their own setup, their own methods...but when you totally ignore the OP's questions and give someone a rundown of how you do things, it's not particularly helpful.

THIS. Like a question about bottling when people reply "Just keg!!!LOL!". Or a 1 gallon batch question that inevitably gets the "Do 5 gallons, you wussy!". Seriously not helpful, and incredibly condescending.

PKIA's on this forum.

You ask a simple question and you get a 2 hour doctoral thesis from a Pompous Know It All. Then , God forbid you make a reply they don't like they flame you in another 2 hour dissertation. We all know who they are!

I love homebrewing and don't get too bent out of shape about anything having to do with it. My only pet peeve about the homebrewing community, though, is people thinking that their way is the only way to do something.

I'm not an expert, but I've been doing this for a few years and I've learned enough to know that there are at least 2 ways to do everything:
  • long primary vs. primary + secondary
  • fly sparge vs. batch sparge
  • 60 minute vs. 90 minute boils
  • no chill vs. chilling
  • dry yeast vs. liquid yeast
  • glass carboys vs. plastic
  • pitching dry yeast vs. rehydrating
and the list goes on. It seems that for any of these choices, whichever option you pick will get you to the same end goal of having beer in your glass at the end of several weeks. Pick the one that works for you and don't tell someone else they're wrong for doing it differently.

passedpawn said:
Nothing wrong with buying good equipment if you have the money. There's no rule that says you have to learn to brew on ghetto equipment. Why not buy good equipment from the start, and practice on that?

It's a pet peve, I didn't say its wrong. Also its not the equipment that bothers me, its the mentality. Good equipment doesn't make you good.

Back