What is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bblock

Reaction score
What it is that I'm trying to show is, look at the big light reflection as the center of a clock. At about the 4 oclock location you can see a film or scum. There is more but this is the best I can get in the pic.

This is my first batch ever. It is Oktoberfest from Brewers Best. It is a lager but was fermented as an ale between 68 -70 F. Primary was 7 days. This is the second fermentation, 4 weeks old and was going to bottle this weekend or next.

I hope you made sure it was at FG before racking to secondary?! When the airlock rapid bubbling slows or stops,only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG.

Post a picture, or link to a picture.

Might as well bottle it and see how it turns out, it will still be beer.

Advice:
Without knowing what yeast you used, you fermented way too high
Don't use a secondary unless you're adding things that would otherwise fall to the bottom and get covered with trub

Brewkinger - Thought the pic was attached. Trying again.

unionrdr- I did check and it was where the directions said it should be. I thought it burned thru the primary fermentation but I figured it was due to the lager yeast not being treated as a true lager. I may have racked it too early. The air lock was dead. When I say dead, I mean the air in the bell collapsed, no air under the bell the water was level. Like it lost all air pressure. It was going like gangbusters for 2 or 3 days.

20131011_082224.jpg

When the airlock stopped the rapid bubbling & settled,only initial fermentation was done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG. then give it another 3-7 days after that to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. I thought I saw some yeast rafts in that blurry pic.

It is blurry and hard to make out, but it looks like yeast rafts to me. Completely normal after fermentation slows down. Taste it when you take a sample for FG, I bet it's great. Nothing to worry about. :mug:

Ever since I transfered it to the carbou it has been slowly bubbling, like one bubble every 5 minutes? It has cleared up alot over the last few weeks. I can see my phone light thru the beer from tops to bottom. It's a dark beer. I couldn't do that when I first transfered it.

I have a second batch of ale, Holiday Ale from Brewers Best and I can't even see the light at the top. It's a dark beer too.

Pic is of no real value, blurry and glare makes it difficult to see.

From what I can see, looks pretty normal to me. Let it sit for a week or so and then bottle what will most likely be a delicious beer.

Temps are too high for most ale yeasts and def too high for most lager yeasts.

Great start though and check back in here anytime with questions.

I can't really tell from the picture but, after 4 weeks there should not be much on the surface. I also agree that your temperatures were pretty high. When you have a range of temperatures for a yeast, in most cases, it is best to aim toward the lower end. Hot temperatures will also make fermentation faster but not better. I get worried if my fermentations take less than 4-5 days.

Smell it and taste it - if it does not taste bad you are likely OK.

Back