What is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theninja

Reaction score
image-1673678081.jpg

Hey guys,

Before any one starts I'm not worried just curious. It's already bottled and waiting another month before I have a test.
This is my 9 batch and first fruit beer. Added fruit after the initial fermentation then after about 3 weeks I got rid of the fruit and left it for another 2 weeks.
It doesn't smell nasty just wondering what that is on top.

Thanks for any feedback.

still looks like a pellicle. I think it looks like brett. If you search for pictures of infections you can probably find out what exactly it is.

Thinking that could be lacto at work. Brett & pellicle usually produce flat or foamy clusters, where lacto often produces milky bubbles.

Easy fix: rack from underneath the blobs, bottle/keg as usual, and drink quickly.

Thanks scramble. Already racked and bottled. Wasn't going to touch it for a couple of months. You think should start drinking sooner?

You should drink it young as you may end up with bottle bombs with the infection. The bugs will keep eating where the yeast stopped.

Back