What is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zebop

Reaction score
First batch for me... A porter, decent taste but a bit acidic finishing taste. What do these formations on the head tell me, if anything? it was one week primary two week secondary and 3 weeks bottle conditioned. Abv was only 4.2. Taste seems suspicious to me is why I wonder.

image-104493427.jpg

Hmmm.... Makes sense. I just used the 1/2 ounce or whatever the kit came with. I could be paranoid. Only real disappoint was being pretty far under the abv estimate of 5-5.5 the kit had.

Looks like it might be a dirty glass and those circles are areas of heavy nucleation on the glass surface. This may be especially true of the beer didn't hold a head and left you with that. My glasses regularly do this on the first pour, especially if I put the glass in the dishwasher instead of hand washing them.

its still green/young - i bet flavors will develop and acidity mellow a bit over time

ABV won't effect carbonation - sugar amount is based on volume

was your OG low or your FG high?

Zebop said:
First batch for me... A porter, decent taste but a bit acidic finishing taste. What do these formations on the head tell me, if anything? it was one week primary two week secondary and 3 weeks bottle conditioned. Abv was only 4.2. Taste seems suspicious to me is why I wonder.

I honestly thought I was looking into the fermenter and not a glass. I must be out of it, and I'm not even drunk.

Lol... Great posts, thanks for help. Could be a simple as a dirty glass to be honest. Og-Fg was 1.040-1.008 I believe.
The views was straight into a pilsner glass. I will let bottles set a couple more weeks I guess.

I honestly thought I was looking into the fermenter and not a glass. I must be out of it, and I'm not even drunk.

Me too so don't fel bad. FIrst thought was infection, but what do I know

Back