What is this white fuzzy layer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Mantis

Reaction score
I brewed a 100% wheat beer in early December and I pitched US-05 fermenting at 64 degrees. After primary fermentation completed I racked the beer into secondary and pitched about 10 lb of frozen mixed berries to make a fruit beer. The berries were left in a nylon sack which I removed from the beer after a week and I let the beer continue to ferment. When I checked on the beer again it had a thin, fuzzy layer on it. I tasted the beer and it doesn't taste sour, it's tart from the berries though. I found this layer of fuzz very strange and I attached pictures in hopes someone knows what it is. I was thinking it might be some proteins or pectin being pushed up to the surface, but I've never experienced this with other fruit beers and melomels I've made.

IMG_20150110_133304.jpg

IMG_20150110_133309.jpg

IMG_20150110_133323.jpg

Well so far it tastes good. I'm thinking I'll just roll with a sour beer and see how it turns out in a few weeks after I keg it.

Back