What is this in my Beer ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arbiadya

Reaction score
I am into the bottle conditioning phase of my first batch of Amber ale. The beer has been sitting in the bottles for about 6 days now at about 65F.

Upon using the flashlight behind the bottles, I noticed some kind of "vapor" looking gaseous matter suspended at the top of the beer. It dissolves upon gently rocking the bottle. I am wondering if that is the CO2 that's been generated by the yeast ?

Any one has noticed anything similar ? What could this be ?

I am certain there is no infection since the beers looks very clean otherwise.

20140328_161253 e.jpg

90% certain it's CO2. At this stage, if I understand correctly, it's not pressurized enough to really have dissolved into the beer itself, and so that's the only place it can go.

Also, crack a cold bottle of your typical brew and you'll see a similar gaseous substance that hangs out in the neck, which is CO2.

CO2 is clear.* You can't see it.* Whatever you are seeing is not CO2.*

Maybe diffraction within the curved neck of the bottle? If you rotate the bottle, does the shape change or move side to side (as an actual object inside the bottle would) or does it stay centered/uniform shape (like a trick of curved glass)?

*At equilibrium.

Way too much time on your hand spending time staring at your bottles with a flashlight.:D
Get busy brewing another batch!
Seriously, I've seen it before, and never really thought about it. But, rest safely, it's not an infection.
And this calls for the immortal: RDWHAHB! :mug:

Latest posts

Back