What is the ultimate guide for the new homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Title says it all. New to homebrewing and need a good guide that covers all the basics and then some.

I used 'the illustrated guide to brewing beer' by Matthew Schaefer. Provided a a lot of worry free know how and the science behind brewing. The pictures were a huge help as a gauge for my own brewing experiences.

Reading thread after thread on this site is also a HUGE help to gain general knowledge and learn from other's mistakes/aprehensions.

When I started 2~3 years ago, Palmer's on-line guide was invaluable for me. And, EVERY time I googled something I didn't understand or wanted more info on, the answer and more was always here on HBT.

GrogNerd said:
Charlie Papazian - The Complete Joy of Homebrewing

John Palmer - How to Brew

there is an online version of How to Brew, but there's some info that even Palmer admits is out-of-date. still a GREAT FREE source of info

Ditto on that. Also, there is a current issue of BYO, with excellent article/series called BYO U, which is an excellent primer

Good Luck

TD

Last edited by a moderator:
John Palmer is a must. Every pages are wort(h) reading. I learned everything to get started and feel confortable. Then i started reading here and I learn new stuff everyday.

Dont hesitate to read it more than once. It took me a few read to fully understand all the processes.

Reading thread after thread on this site is also a HUGE help to gain general knowledge and learn from other's mistakes/aprehensions.

+10!

Seriously this site has taught me way more than anything else. Also having a few buddies to bounce ideas off of.

Latest posts

Back