Introducing IoT Keg level sensor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz263

Reaction score
Hello, we’re new to this forum and would love to hear people's thoughts on an IoT keg level sensor we are developing.
The sensor is derived from the tried and trusted guided wave radar technology, but at a price point that is an order of magnitude cheaper.
The sensor measures level, pressure and temperature, but we are open to adding further features which could make it suitable for fermentation monitoring and control.
A couple of basic questions:
  • What price range would you be willing to pay for such a sensor?
  • What types of appliances are you currently using for fermentation control (fridges, heating blankets, etc.)?
  • Would you prefer the sensor to battery powered?
Once we have a prototype ready, we are keen to get a few regular brewers to test it and provide us with feedback. If this sounds of any interest to you, let me know and drop me a line at [email protected]

Price range is a tough question. I have the Ballandkeg level indicators in my four kegs. They are about $25 delivered and they work perfectly. Obviously, they don't provide temperature or a digital readout, but for cheap, accurate, stupid simple level indication they are unbeatable. How would your sensor mount on the average keg? Would it be able to work from the outside or would it require internal mounting of some sort? Battery power makes sense as we don't have power outlets inside our fridges.

Back