What is the lowest score you've ever medaled with in a comp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_c_zero

Reaction score
Was over on Reddit and saw a post were a guy had entered a homebrew comp and won a gold medal with an IPA that scored a 34. Made me start to wonder if this is a common thing or if that is low. Seems rather low to me but who knows how the other entries did or how many there were total.

Mid 30's is a solid score. So much depends on how a particular pair of judges score things..... do they tend to score beers on the high or low side. Ultimately, it is just about where the beer is relative to its peers. Personally, I think anything in that 34-38 type range is usually representative of a pretty darn good beer.

I had some beers in the recent Drunk Monk competition.... Those beers scored:

The 35 pt. beer placed top 3...... unfortunately, none of the other beers placed top 3. I will say that the 44.5 is definitely the highest scoring beer I have ever had NOT place. In fact, I think I have only had a couple beers (out of a couple hundred) ever score higher than that now that I think about it.

I am sure I have had a win or two with a 32-33-34 pt. beer, and definitely had some medal in that range.... maybe even 31??? I know I have never medaled with a beer under 30 for sure.

First in catagory (stout) 34pts at Ventura County Fair.
First (Porter) LA County Fair 34 pts.
Thats the lowest first place. I had a second place (Hangar 24 HB Comp) with 30pts.

Wouldn't worry about the score, as they float all over the place. Sometimes the judges scoring were wrong. Just getting into that top 3 matters. I think 32 or 33 is about the low for me. At same time I've had 46.5 and 47 not medal, and last weekend in Mazer Cup tied my personal best but got nothing with a 48.5. *shrug*

Got bronze with a 31 on a hefeweizen once. Score 41 on a brett beer that didn't place in the same comp.

Back