What is the best way to store bulk grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpass00

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying my first 50# bag of 2 row. what would be the best way for me to store it?

I picked up a few stackable Vittles Vaults at Costco a few months back. Can't remember the size, but they fit a 20kg bag of malt perfectly.

Prior to that, I was using 5 gallon plastic buckets with lids. Two buckets would hold a bag.

Either in Vittle Vaults or in a solution of CO2, water, ethanol, Isomerized alpha/beta, and various poly/mono saccharides.

I use commercial ice cream pails (12L each), but then I get those for free. It takes 5 of them to store 50lbs, but they're easy to move around and store. I only have to open 1 to get enough grain for a batch, so the remaining tubs stay sealed.

Anything made of HDPE (#2) with a good seal works well. Some people even use galvanized garbage cans lined with food safe bags, but the bags can be hard to find.

Big questions are:
1) How long is it going to take you to go through 50lbs,
2) How much are you willing to invest.

I figure 50# will maybe last me 4 or 5 months. Also I am like anyone, I would like to spend a little as possible. I planed on using air tight containers to store the grains. I didnt know if there was any special precautions to keep it fresh and dry.

I like the Vittles Vaults idea. The ones I found online said they were 11 gallons. How much grain can I fit in a 11 gallon container?

I like the Vittles Vaults idea. The ones I found online said they were 11 gallons. How much grain can I fit in a 11 gallon container?

You should be able to get a sack into that size container. I put about half a sack into a 5 gallon bucket.

ok thanks barc. maybe thats the route I will go. Now is there any benefit of keeping the grain refrigerated? Or is there any tricks to keep it as fresh as I can?

solution of CO2, water, ethanol, Isomerized alpha/beta, and various poly/mono saccharides.

???????????????HUH?????????????????

The bins on the bottom of this pic are Sterilite from Target, 66 qt. They hold about 70# of grain. I've been using these for a year with no problem. click on pic for closeup.

A bit off topic, but do you/can you buy flaked corn and oats in bulk?

A bit off topic, but do you/can you buy flaked corn and oats in bulk?

I don't use much of that stuff. (some corn in some english beers and cream ale, and the oats in stouts). So I only buy 5# quantities from Brewmaster's Warehouse or my LHBS.

I would guess your LHBS would buy a bag of anything for you at a decent price if you asked. Also, my local whole foods place (big store) has large quantities of flaked grains.

I don't use much of that stuff. (some corn in some english beers and cream ale, and the oats in stouts). So I only buy 5# quantities from Brewmaster's Warehouse or my LHBS.

I would guess your LHBS would buy a bag of anything for you at a decent price if you asked. Also, my local whole foods place (big store) has large quantities of flaked grains.

Thanks man! My LHBS only sells it in 1lb bags for $2.6x

passedpawn,

Are your grains kept in a fridge or normal room air cabinet?

The bins on the bottom of this pic are Sterilite from Target, 66 qt. They hold about 70# of grain. I've been using these for a year with no problem. click on pic for closeup.

Do those buckets have a rubber o-ring keeping them air tight?
Very jealous by the way :mug:

I use those "space bags" from wal-mart which are vacuum sealed with a regular vacuum. The ones I have will hold around 30lbs and I just open and take what I need to on brew days and reseal. Works great on the cheap.( $2-$4 per bag depending on size)

Do those buckets have a rubber o-ring keeping them air tight?

O-rings - no. No, they are not air tight. If you got stuck in one, though, you'd probably suffocate.

The only grains i have any worry about is the flaked grains because they have no husk. But I haven't had any problem there either.

Brewing has been very, very good to me.

O-rings - no. No, they are not air tight. If you got stuck in one, though, you'd probably suffocate.

The only grains i have any worry about is the flaked grains because they have no husk. But I haven't had any problem there either.

Brewing has been very, very good to me.

I think I agree. Air tightness is not crucial if you are going to use the grains within a 6 to 9 month period. If they are in the pantry for more than a few months, I usually toast them in the oven for a few minutes before grinding.

I use the food saver for specialty grains that I only use a bit of.

Dries them if any humidity got in. Moisture can bring off flavors. Lightly toasting dry ingredients for cooking is a common practice.

I don't know if it improves the beer, but it makes me feel better about the ingredients.

Dries them if any humidity got in. Moisture can bring off flavors. Lightly toasting dry ingredients for cooking is a common practice.

I don't know if it improves the beer, but it makes me feel better about the ingredients.

Doesn't that change the character of the grain? Also the grains are about to be immersed into gallons of water which is 100% humid.

Chances are if they sat with humidity inside of them beyond normal moisture content of the grain they would be spoiled or fermented.

Doesn't that change the character of the grain? Also the grains are about to be immersed into gallons of water which is 100% humid.

Chances are if they sat with humidity inside of them beyond normal moisture content of the grain they would be spoiled or fermented.

don't agree, ymmv:fro:

WOW..passedpawn. That setup is great. I would love to have a fully stocked grain pantry.
Makes my Homer buckets look so inadequate. :eek:

12067d1247672811-bulk-grain-storage-grainstorage03.jpg

. . . but they're cheap. :D

It won't store bulk grains, but now when I need to order any specialty grain I get 5lbs of it regardless of what I need. I put the rest in airtight 3-4quart containers from the local dollar store. I find they have lots of great, and cheap, storage solutions.

Back