What is sediment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noz03

Reaction score
Bit of a newbie question but was curious and want to understand things a little better but what is sediment made from and why does it always occur in beer/wine making? Also how does it affect taste and other stuff if it gets stirred into your beer?

It is mostly yeast that has settled out due to running out of food (fermentable sugar). Some people like the taste, some don't. It can effect the clarity of your beer if it gets stirred into it while pouring, making it appear a little cloudy. That said, it is not bad for you - it is actually a good source of B-vitamins. Best advice would be to try a homebrew after mixing the yeast back into suspension, and then try another one that you pour carefully to leave all the sediment behind... You'll know if you like the yeast flavor or not right away.

The Trub left behind is yeast, protein and other solids from the mash/steep/extract/etc, hop particles, and anything else that can fall out of suspension from the wort.

You will always end up with a layer of it at the bottom of a fermenter, if you naturally carbonate (read add more sugar, then bottle) you will always get a layer of yeast in the bottom of the bottle as well. Wines tend not to have as much in the bottom of the bottles, as they are aged longer and the vast majority of the yeast/solids will settle out during that process. With kegging you get far less and even less if you filter.

Also,the yeast usually settles out last,on top of the trub layer. The yeast layer will look lighter colored by comparison.

I thought he meant in the bottles... Not sure why, after rereading the post. The stuff in the bottles shouldn't have any trub. But in the fermenter, you will certainly get a layer of trub followed by a layer of yeast.

Its yeast poo. Thats what I tell my neighbors. Keeps em out of my beer stash....

Im going to start telling my friends it is yeast poo haha that is great, then i will get all my homebrew to myself! hopefully, probably not

Back