What is it with SNPA??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love SNPA, but if I'm at a beer bar, then I probably wouldn't order it. I like to try things I've never had. I can usually get it at places that don't have a big selection. But I buy it, and have it around.

In an effort to understand my brewing process and why I am not quite getting the beer I intend to brew, I have begun the "Year of the Clones."

I started yesterday with Sierra Nevada Stout, then I'm brewing SN Porter, SNPA, and Torpedo. After that I spread my wings: FFF Zombie Dust, Avery Maharaja, Founders Breakfast Stout, ST Creme Brulee, Stone 15...

SNPA was what got me into this; I'm hoping it can get me out of it. (I don't know what that means. Thought it sounded good.)

I am well aware of what the Black & Tans were. I think this is one of those cases where a citation is needed for the original statement.

Citation of my original statement? Just what I've been told by friends I've known from Northern Ireland. Was told that if you order one by that name in some more republican dominated neighborhoods over there, you'll probably end up at least thrown out, if not beaten up. But it was meant to be a joke anyway.

SNPA is like a Godfather of pale ales its been around a long time, i think it was the first pale ale i ever bought along with Dead Guy and Arrogant bastard ocassionally.
I specifically remember picking some up SNPA and was session drinking and i had to switch to a cleaner easy drinking beer really only being able to handle one maybe it was what i ate but it seemed overbearingly bitter at the time which seemed to disrupt my session drinking.Its not one of my personal favorites but i really enjoyed trying it on tap for the first time recently, i like some of the maltier pale ales more though really.It was my least favorate style years ago but i only probably had a few of them and had a closed mind about pale ales because of those few dry bitter ones i tried. Never thought ipa would be my favorate style either.The hefeweison sparked a re- intrest in craft beer with me, i barley had a few cases of light beer a year- until somehow i resparked an interest into drinking a differnt way besides getting drunk. I actually was learning about health interests specifically fermented foods which is important to gut flora like lactic acid and other probiotics and healty bacteria which triggered and interest in bottled conditioned beer or "live beers" and unpasterized foods or raw-living foods.

Well, SNPA in a black and tan is easy explainable - Old Chicago! Actually, Harry's in Hyde Park use to serve the same. They just don't work well together.

I recently visited an "Irish Pub" in Vegas that served Black-and-X's with different beers. My two fav's were Smithwicks and Guinness and Newcastle and Guinness. Can't remember the names, but those combos were excellent.

Latest posts

Back