Bière de Garde A monstrous brown bière de garde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerisyummy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Omega OYL-057 "Hothead"
Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
1.062 - 1.071 with added sugar
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
dark :)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 days @ 70-72°F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
n/a
Additional Fermentation
bottle conditioned
Tasting Notes
Somewhat sweet, balanced by aggressive hop bitterness. Earthy. Dried fruit notes are prominent.
I'm a big fan of Josh Weikert's "Brew Your Best" articles. As I was contemplating what to brew in the warm end-of-summer-beginning-of-fall months here in California, my thoughts turned to Farmhouse Ales and Bière de Garde in particular. I have to admit not being terribly familiar with the style, but I have loved every one I've ever tasted, from Sierra Nevada's Trip in the Woods to Fieldwork Brewing in Berkeley. I became interested, in reading Josh's "Brew your best Biere de Garde," for some reason, in Brewing a Brown Bière de Garde, which I have never had ... it just sounded good. Perhaps because I'm not familiar with it, I went ahead and took some liberties.

The results were so good, I drank the entire hydrometer sample, and I poured the dregs of the bottling bucket into my glass and had that too.

Here it is:

Method: Brew-in-a-bag

Ingredients for 5 gallons:

Grain bill:
5.5 lb Munich
5.5 lb Pilsner
12 oz Crystal 60L
12 oz Special B
4 oz. Blackprinz

Adjuncts:
1 lb. soft brown Belgian Candi Sugar - boiled in 1 qt water & added to fermentor on day 5.
1.5 tsp. CaCl in mash
4 oz. corn sugar boiled in 2 c. water for priming

Yeast: Omega OYL-057 "Hothead" (2L starter)

Water: municipal water, filtered

Hop bill:
1 oz Magnum (14.4%) for 60 min
1 oz. Tettnanger (3%) for 15 min.
1 oz Fuggles (4.3%) for 5 min.

Mash: 152° for 60 min. Dunk-sparge @ 180°
Mash pH: 5.22

Boil: 60 min

Fermentation: Single stage, 4 weeks

O.G. 1.062 - 1.071 with added sugar.
F.G. 1.016
ABV 7.2%

Just wanna say that I brewed this recipe about 6 months ago with WLP568 Belgian/Saison Blend at a low-ish temp to keep yeast character from overwhelming everything.......excellent beer! This recipe is just what I was looking for, and it definitely keeps improving over time!

Just wanna say that I brewed this recipe about 6 months ago with WLP568 Belgian/Saison Blend at a low-ish temp to keep yeast character from overwhelming everything.......excellent beer! This recipe is just what I was looking for, and it definitely keeps improving over time!
Cool. I stretched this one out over about 6 months (bottled) and it definitely hung in there with some interesting changes along the way. I only used the "Hothead" yeast because the temp in my fermentation cave (aka downstairs closet) was hanging around 70-72 at the time, right at the top of the scale, or over, for many yeasts. If you can keep it cooler, for sure other options are available.
Thanks for the feedback!

Back