What is best for priming the beer prior to bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttibby

Reaction score
His is sort of two questions... I am pitching a festabrew wheat tomorrow, now when it's done fermenting should I add a clearing agent as wheat ale is often served cloudy... Amd second, what is best for priming for bottling, dextrose, kreamix etc...?

Thanks in advance!

Bodo!

At this point I think gelatin is your only choice for clearing unless you can cold crash. I like to use table sugar to carb my beer when I bottle. Its cheap and I always have some

A wheat beer should be cloudy IMO, I wouldn't add a clearing agent. In answer to your second question..dextrose is what I always use and recommend.

My votes:

(1) Don't use clarifying agents for this one. Personally, I don't EVER use them (I do other things on the rare occasion I care about the clarity of my beer) but CERTAINLY not necessary for a wheat beer even if you do... the style is cloudy anyway.

(2) Dextrose (corn sugar). You can prime with any sugar (brown sugar, cane, syrup, etc...)... but some affect the taste more than others. I DO use other sugars... but certain ones... and on purpose (i.e. I make a tasty Scotch Ale that I use dark brown sugar to prime with). Also understand that cane sugar makes a little more CO2 than corn sugar... so you'll have to take that into account (and there are good calculators you can Google to find). I just find dextrose to be cheap, easy to calculate, and consistently good even carbonation.

Anyway... those are my votes and WHY (especially for very beginners, I like to say WHY so you're not just getting a handful of random opinions but no new knowledge).

No matter what... you're gonna make beer!!!

Cheers! :mug:

Ever since I started doing PB/PM BIAB,I found the need to start using Fivestar Super Moss the last ten minutes of the boil. This settles out extra dissolved protiens up through the point where I mix wort & top off in the fermenter. The resulting cold break settles to the bttom with the trub.
I've used table sugar,demerara sugar (raw cane sugar) & dextrose to prime with. I use dextrose most of the time.

Back