What is a good size for test batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supertrapped

Reaction score
Thinking about doing a couple pilot brews just to see how a recipe will turn out before brewing it on a bigger scale. Typically, I've been doing 5.5gal batches. So, what's a good size batch to brew? 1 gallon? What vessel of sorts should I use to ferment the beer?

I had been wanting to be able to not only experiment with new recipes, but also just do small scale experiments in general. Then I found my lhbs had 6 liter buckets. I bought a couple of those. So I do 9 liter test runs now, got the first batch cold crashing now, which I divide into two 4.5 liter batches. This allows me to test two different ways to brew the same recipe. And since it's such a small amount I can even divide it after the mash, with some pots I already have, in order to do tests during the boil. I think it's gonna work out nicely for me, as I can still do the biab method.

I sometimes make 1 gallon test batches using empty 1 gallon cider jugs for fermentation vessels from the grocery store.

I also sometimes take a 5 gallon recipe and divide it in half. I have a few 3 gallon glass carboys that are perfect for these 2.5 gallon recipes. It will give you about a 24 bottles/servings, which is plenty for testing out various things.

Back