What if I didn't have enough marbles.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lounge Lizard

Reaction score
...and my dry hop bag is floating on top of the SNPA clone in the secondary? Anything to be worried about? Everything except for the hops was sanitized beforehand. It doesn't seem like a thin layer of carbon dioxide would cover that thing up. Then hops are known for their preservative nature, so maybe there is no problem.On a side note, it wasn't easy stuffing the darn thing through the opening in the carboy to begin with! lol

I think that you will be fine. The beer will still be fermenting a bit and releasing CO2. The oxygen in the secondary will eventually be pushed out the airlock.

El Pistolero said:
You'll be fine...I know I am, and I've pretty much lost all of my marbles. :(

lol... I'm sure you're fine too.

Another question, everyone... I thought about using some heavy galvanized nuts or bolts in the bag. Any worries about a metalic taste when doing that?

Lounge Lizard said:
lol... I'm sure you're fine too.

Another question, everyone... I thought about using some heavy galvanized nuts or bolts in the bag. Any worries about a metalic taste when doing that?

Not to sure, but I would only use stainless steel.

I agree....I'd stay away from galvanized. I normally just dump my dry hops straight in, but if I were to use a bag, I think marbles would work the best. Way fewer nooks and crannies for nasties to get into. Plus, they're cheap!

Sam75 said:
I agree....I'd stay away from galvanized. I normally just dump my dry hops straight in ..

Do you do that with both leaf and pellet hops?

I guess you insert the end of your racking cane (syphon) into a hop bag (for a strainer) before siphoning to the bottling bucket? I'm pretty sure that I will do that, since some of the leaf particles got through the mesh of the bag....

Latest posts

Back