What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started a cold crash on a new set up that allows me to keep co2 on it while it chills out.
20200229_102026.jpeg

Kegged the Sabro/Citra/Mosaic IPA I brewed two weeks ago. Not super happy with the flavor; either something went wrong (first time in a long while fermenting in a bucket, and I know the lid didn't seal) or I just screwed up somewhere. It's technically a good beer, just not what I wanted. We'll see how it tastes after carbonation.

Keged a couple of brews last night and chilled them today. Loaded them in the kegerator tonight (because I kicked two on Sunday).

Then realised that Mrs Pkrd is having a work BBQ on the weekend so pulled them both out again, hooked up the CO2 and shook the bejesus out of them.

Kegged the Sabro/Citra/Mosaic IPA I brewed two weeks ago. Not super happy with the flavor; either something went wrong (first time in a long while fermenting in a bucket, and I know the lid didn't seal) or I just screwed up somewhere. It's technically a good beer, just not what I wanted. We'll see how it tastes after carbonation.

So I tapped this yesterday. Didn't have high hopes because of what it tasted like out of the fermenter...but apparently I have a magic keg. Huge pineapple nose & flavor, with kind of an elusive coconutty flavor as well; don't get it with every sip but it's there. Actually turned out quite nice.

Picked up a MW101. Spent half an hour getting frustrated and pissed off trying to calibrate it, and it just wouldn't.

Then realized I was trying to set the offset on the slope, and vice versa.

Now, at an advanced age, I have learned left from right.

Also harvested yeast and cleaned fermentor and a keg.

Need a beer.

Drilled the cap to a Simply Orange juice bottle for a grommet and airlock then whipped up an impromptu 1L batch of wheat ale in my InstantPot with Liberty and Cascade. Gravity of 13° Plato, was expecting 12. Pitched some dried Stranda. Should be tasty.

Also, making myself measure everything in °Plato now. Because reasons.

Brewed a Vienna lager. Hoping to sneak one more lager in sometime soon while the basement is in the high 40s/low 50s. May have transferred a bit more than planned into the fermonster. Didn't take into consideration the size of slurry I'm planning to pitch. I dont like dealing with blow off tubes. Ugh.

Also, bottled half a gallon of mead, and half a gallon of forgotten cider. The mead has more promise than the cider. Woof.

Krausen dropped on the WF Czech lager I brewed last weekend; might keg it Saturday to let it finish lagering in the keg, dunno yet. Also checked on the three-week-old Strong that's been sitting in the spare bedroom since last weekend; getting a bubble or two now and then but the surface is clean. And debating with myself if I'll have time to get in a brew this weekend; I was supposed to fix my Passat tonight but only one of the two parts needed showed up, so have to do it Saturday. Oh well, plenty of beer to help that chore along; replacing the PCV system and some vacuum hoses. Stupid car is a money pit but I love to drive it.

Broke another hose on the stupid car, so to make me feel better husband let me buy the grain to do another batch of porter tomorrow; last batch I did was when my grain mill broke and most of the bill was done in the food processor; needless to say didn't turn out great. This one will be. Using Edwort's recipe with some added flaked oats, just because. Grain milled, equipment clean and ready to go!

Brewed up what was supposed to be a no-boil NEIPA yesterday, but volume and in turn gravity measurements were way off so more in the pale ale/session IPA territory.

Brewed up what was supposed to be a no-boil NEIPA yesterday, but volume and in turn gravity measurements were way off so more in the pale ale/session IPA territory.

Likewise. Got a "back of a napkin" recipe from my brother a few days ago. From the grist, I was assuming an APA, but it's way too dark. Withholding judgement for now, fermentation just started.

Back