What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked my first AG batch of Yooper's Oatmeal Stout to secondary. Hydro sample has lots of chocolate/coffee flavors. Great overall. Will keg in a couple of weeks before kegging and aging for a bit.

Cleaned a keg. Cleaned some lines. Getting ready to put a wit on draft tomorrow.

Legged a barleywine that's been aging on bourbon soaked oak for 8 months. Will bottle from the keg later this week.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457913089.426695.jpg

Sample tasted great!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457913106.608583.jpg

Then opened two dozen 375ml and three 750ml bottles of a flat quad to add some CBC yeast to hopefully get it carved. Of course I had corked & caged the 375s and waxed the 750s so it was a major PITA. Hopefully it will carb them up - it tastes great flat so I can only imagine how it would be properly carbed.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457913243.102208.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457913252.220184.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457913262.668771.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457913273.719517.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457913281.537631.jpg

Not today, but yesterday I put together my new to me Top Tier system and brewed 10gal of red ipa. Phone is broken so no photographic evidence

Brewed a BCS Robust Porter. Should fit nicely into the lineup as "the dark beer" since my beautiful Imperial Stout kicked.

During the boil the whole brewery smelled like coffee and chocolate. Mmmm

Robust porter.jpg

Last edited:
Bottled my DIPA. 22 bottles... I am never gonna get a full case, it seems. 2.25G extract batches, 21-22 bottles. 2.5G all-grain batches, 21-22 bottles.

:(

And then my brew-bro - let's call him Adam Henry - makes his first batch ever on the same sized equipment, gets a full case & a half-full tester bottle to boot.

:mad:

He never lets me forget it 'cos he knows how it bugs me that I can't get a full case! I will say, between using a cheap BIAB-bag and using 7 to 7-1/2 pounds of malt, the trub in my little LBK is ridiculous. I've had to rack the beer to my other one before cold-crashing it. Smaller grain bills (I imagine) won't be so bad.

Bottled my DIPA. 22 bottles... I am never gonna get a full case, it seems. 2.25G extract batches, 21-22 bottles. 2.5G all-grain batches, 21-22 bottles.

:(

And then my brew-bro - let's call him Adam Henry - makes his first batch ever on the same sized equipment, gets a full case & a half-full tester bottle to boot.

:mad:

He never lets me forget it 'cos he knows how it bugs me that I can't get a full case! I will say, between using a cheap BIAB-bag and using 7 to 7-1/2 pounds of malt, the trub in my little LBK is ridiculous. I've had to rack the beer to my other one before cold-crashing it. Smaller grain bills (I imagine) won't be so bad.

Try letting it settle in your BK for a bit before transferring to your fermenter. You should get less trub transfer that way.

Well, it takes 25-40 minutes (or I should say, ***I*** take 25-40 minutes) to chill the beer down to pitch temps, but I do stir occasionally to help the heat-transfer. Next time, I will not stir and see if that helps.

Thanks, DJ!

Brewed a Flanders red to pitch onto the bacteria cake for my sour carboy. Bottled the sour rye tamarind off the cake. I pitched about 200 B cells of 3522 and allowed it to aerate, plus I'm not heating. Hopefully that will allow some more body and less sour. I also harvested two jars and three vials of the cake.

Cleaned my beer closet, twice. The Flanders red I brewed yesterday had two blow outs. After the first one it looked like it had calmed down so I didn't add a blow off tube. That has been corrected.

Well, it takes 25-40 minutes (or I should say, ***I*** take 25-40 minutes) to chill the beer down to pitch temps, but I do stir occasionally to help the heat-transfer. Next time, I will not stir and see if that helps.

Thanks, DJ!

Transfer from your BK to LBK through a strainer. Trust me, it will catch a **** ton of hot/cold break trub! ;)

Transfer from your BK to LBK through a strainer. Trust me, it will catch a **** ton of hot/cold break trub! ;)

The past two beers, that is exactly what I had to do, due to the fact I am using whole-cone hops. I fish the bulk of the hops out and throw them away, and then use the strainer over the opening of the LBK when I pour the wort in.

Maybe this time I'll leave the hops in the strainer to act as a filter-bed... hmm...

Holy crap busy night in the brewery...

-poured a double IPA from the tap to kick things off

-deepened the cold crash from 5C to 1.5C on a Rye IPA that's finishing

-tested the Pilsener that's 15 days into primary and 3 days into diacetyl rest - 1.007 now - woot! - still seems like there's a faint buttery aroma and flavor - I'm chalking that up to the Wyeast 2001 Urquell yeast. I'm very sensitive to diacetyl and it's not objectionable, so I'm calling it good, so...

-racked Pilsener to 2ndry and crashed to 35F for lagering

-collected a pint of Urquell yeast slurry from the carboy

-PBW cleaned the carboy primary

-PBW cleaned a keg I had sitting around waiting to be cleaned

-while all that was going on I boiled up a 4 gallons of water with a couple of 1 liter mason jars in it to sterilize them. I use those for collecting yeast

Dry hopped a brett pale ale, blended a saison and a golden sour then dry hopped it as well. I'm contemplating bottling 11 gallons of sour brown that have been on oak for a couple months. Right now I'm doing the best thing you can do for homebrew, I'm drinking it. :mug:

Brewing a Chinook single hop IPA. The hood smell great, not as much pine as I had expected.

Bought a Tap-a-keg system so I can take 3 gallons of my brew to the beach this weekend.

I just racked my IPA over to a keg and put it on to carb. It smells amazing and the sample tastes great. This will be a good one. I'm also picking up some BLC and building the fountain pump draft line cleaner to do a little Spring cleaning on the draft system.

I brewed for the first time in just about forever today. I packed up my equipment, went to my friend's house, and we drove to his girlfriend's dad's house, and I helped them brew a vanilla porter. (Well, I'm bad at giving directions and asking for help, so I may have hogged a good bit of the brewing process myself.) Before today, I think it was something like at least two years since I brewed a batch. Hopefully I can get more energy for brewing in the future, because I am worn out, and it was only extract!

Made a starter for the porter this weekend. Tried a neighbor's homebrew, took some notes for him.

I joined a very interesting and lot of active beer brewers forum. This is my very first step in becoming a home brewer.

Unpacked what was left over in my brew equipment from nine years ago.... Clear tubing was sortof melted and gooey. Looked at a couple of recipes from the early 90s and an old LHBS order sheet from 1995. Guess I'm gonna be updating some things.

Cleaned my fermentors, made a 3rd stage yeast starter for an imperial amber IPA. Oh and drank a lot of homebrew. :)

Latest posts

Back