What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not knocking it. I've never been in this hobby to save money and I'm sure I'll be picking up a barrel eventually. I like that whiskey barrels are smaller.... and taste like whisky [emoji16]. What are they, 15 gallons?

Yep, they are both 15 gallons. I think 5 would have been too small and just too much of a risk for oxidation for the upcoming sours.

I think I'm all set to never buy yeast again :D

20150819_095447-66003.jpg

20150819_095507-66004.jpg

20150819_102628-66005.jpg

20150819_105056-66006.jpg

20150819_114014-66007.jpg

Well I bottled 2.5 gallons and kegged the rest and saved some yeast for the next brew, which is sunday!:D

Last edited:
you wash yeast with starsan? sounds sketchy

Well, no, i don't wash yeast. I just make an over sized starter and save some in a sanitized mason jar. ignore my post, didn't realize your using that water to wash the yeast.

Well, no, i don't wash yeast. I just make an over sized starter and save some in a sanitized mason jar. ignore my post, didn't realize your using that water to wash the yeast.

yeh I figured. There's actually a spray bottle of Starsan just out of frame in the last pic, I gave everything a good spray down once everything was capped.

Today I transferred my Strong Scotch Ale to seconday. Needs to sit 2 months till I can bottle it.

Taking a break while letting my keg soak for a few minutes with sanitizer. Next is to transfer my Saison and put it on gas.

Wish me Luck. I'm not Jumping too much. Have worked in past with Robert Mondavi Wine makers :D. Those Thermowells are DIY. What is in the cooler tun is to become Zombie Dust clone. The Citrus hops are to be used strategically. The two thermometers were right on. The Infrared was 10 deg off. Hope to share some Ideas in the future and learn a lot.

FirstAllGrain.jpg

Prepped five vanilla beans and 4 oz. cacao nibs for addition to the robust porter I brewed the other day. Not sure when I'll add it to the fermenter, but it's fun to cut up the beans and pour vodka over them all and just have the jars chilling on a shelf in the basement.

Racked my Redheaded Rye Child to secondary & cleaned all the carboys and racking equipment.
Measured & set up for installing a peg board & hooks for drying/storing my brew hoses.

Received some upgrades for my brewery that will hopefully save me headaches and help with the pipeline:

1) Loose handle keg for AIH - not pretty, but functional. I would buy another at $40. Handle really isn't that loose. Keg has a 1995 stamp, so its an older one. Cleaned it up and changed o-rings. Now it needs beer.:mug:

2) Cereal Killer Grain Mill - Goodbye efficiency problems...hopefully. Dialed it in credit card width. Just need some grain for a test run. Tapped my amber beer this weekend which I now consider my "bitter" due to last brew's efficiency problems. It turned out to be a decent session beer.:ban:

3) Banjo Burner with Natural Gas conversion valve - Goodbye propane! Brought 7 gallons of 80F water to strike temps in 17 minutes and boil in about 30 minutes. Will never miss my academy turkey fryer and worrying about propane inventory.:rockin:

Trying to resist the urge to brew tomorrow...

I'm using a Millars Mill. Using a Feeler Gauge I put it at .025 in. Yesterday I milled 15.5 Lbs of grain that was conditioned with 5 oz of sprayed water with 15 min of soaking for a 5 gal batch. It did not look as pulverized as needed. And sure enough the efficiency was 59%. Also after mashing the draining was very fast. I want some filtration from the grain bed. I have concluded to use less water for conditioning and tighten the rollers a little more. Maybe .005 in less. This will take some time to dial in the Equip.

finally got 4 bottles each of my Kottbusser, Irish red & whiskely stout in the fridge for our anniversary the 27th. gotta put away some bottles & look for my missing !@##$&*^W#!@##cut-off wheels.

Reorganized my entire garage to make room for my new chest freezer. Steady fermentation Temps here I come.

Not dick. My brew kettle was destroyed by King David Moving and HLT is MIA.

Drank beer.
I was thinking of making a starter for a bug farm. I have a gueze boon that I'm thinking of pitching and growing.

Brewed a pair of partigyle Saisons, same grain bill (and same mash), slightly varied hopping, and different yeasts (3724 in the full strength and 3711 in the petite, it's the only beer I like the 3711 in).

And made two starters, one 100% Brett B and one 100% Brett L.

Today I ordered a new kettle (15 gal, ball valved), mash tun (10 gal, false bottom), and ingredients for my first batch in almost two years! I'm going to be refreshing those tracking numbers like a lunatic as soon as I get them...

After a few weeks ignoring the brewery, there was a lot to do yesterday. Kegged a small stout. Cleaned a conical, two carboys and a corny. Refilled the sparkling water keg I keep on tap for the boys. Tested an American pale ale that's been fermenting and conditioning for 18 days - 009 - done for sure:)

Tonight I'll dry hop that PA and transfer 10 gallons of a big stout to secondary for bulk conditioning.

Today I ordered a new kettle (15 gal, ball valved), mash tun (10 gal, false bottom), and ingredients for my first batch in almost two years! I'm going to be refreshing those tracking numbers like a lunatic as soon as I get them...

I always knew i wasn't the only guy who did that but it makes me smile to see that i really am not the only one haha.

Dropped off my co2 tank for its first fill. I thought i could just stop by get it filled and go home, turns out they have to chill it to freezing temps before they fill it.

At least two utility poles broke in half about a mile from the house. Power's been out for several hours when I got home from work. The fermentor in the swamp cooler now has no fan, so I just put an extra frozen gallon jug in the water to help cool it back down. I feel a sense of accomplishment. What a great hobby!

Went to town to do a little grocery shopping this afternoon, and since I had a real crappy day the day before, my wife tells me to go ahead and get some beer to help me de-stress. So, I picked up a 6 pack of Strongbow Hard Cider with honey.(Yeah, I know, it's not beer, but hey, it's still a potent potable!). Tried one after dinner tonight. Maybe it's just my taste buds and my nose, but I really didn't taste or smell much in the line of honey. The flavor profile and aroma was more tart apple than anything. However, it did get me thinking about trying my hand at brewing a batch of hard cider this fall when the local cider mill opens for the season. I'm leaning towards something sweet, but not so sweet that it masks the alcohol content and sneaks up on you later. :mug:

made a homemade stirplate. Made a 1.75L starter, running on stir plate now.

Bottled 5 Gallons of Oatmeal Stout - testing a bench capper a friend gave me (he moved on to begging), works great, very efficient.

IMG_8994-001.JPG

IMG_8911-001.JPG

IMG_8906-001.JPG

Back