What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally found a place to refill my CO2 tank, instead of exchanging it. Way cheaper that way.

Sampled my saison. After about a month of hot water baths I got 3724 down to 1.006. Time to let it settle out and bottle!

I helped with setup for the Festival of Barrel Aged Beers in Chicago on Thursday, and was therefore allowed to attend on Friday! I moved so many sixtels that day.

I bottled a Holiday brew, (well, technically last night) but had a hard time getting the siphon going. Ended up being a clog on the bottle filler stop mechanism, put there from gunk when I transferred to the bucket from the carboy.
Any suggestions on a good system for setting up the siphon tube in the carboy so I don't suck up spent yeast while still trying to maximize yield from it?

Tiny bubbles in the wine may be fine, but just give me lots of them from the fermenter!

I just brewed a dark chocolate stout. My fernentation closet smells like chocolate cake, and the krausen looks like it too. Kinda tempted to take a bite!

i bottled my second AG batch, an Imperial Red Honey Ale. I am really looking forward to this one. Same one Catdaddy66 worked on. (^^^^^) He helped me with it.

Bottled my Two Moe's Smash Pale Ale...

So excited about this one.... second beer I've finished since having my chest freezer.. and what a difference it makes! This beer tasted and smelled fantastic... can't wait until it is carbed up.

Also, I'm ready to get a bench top capper.... tired of the butterfly style.

Cleaned everything up... my fermenter is ready to go.... thinking an English Mild is up next.

Measured out grains, for an IPA, and crushed them. Getting ready to brew soon.

It was a busy day. Built a counter flow chiller and a hop spider. Started a cider. Kegged a brown ale and an IPA.

Ordered an STC-1000
Moved house and it is first time I have really needed to worry about temp control:mad:

Where did you order this from? I need one but don't know where to get them... Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Kegged my Spiced Winter Ale. The hydro tube sample tasted pretty good but I expected more mulled spice presence. So, I steeped some cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a cup of Maker's Mark last night, strained it thru a coffee filter this AM, and added it to the keg after I racked the beer. I tasted the bourbon: it definitely had some holiday cheer so I am excited to draw a pint of this for T Day.

Drinking the first bottle of version 2 of my PM dampfbier. Color is golden amber/orange, so that's really close. A little bit of the bubblegum esters the bier was known for. Warms these old bones on this teens-all-day winter blow. Wrote a couple more pages of my 2nd home brewing book as well as working on the comp all morning. Now for some warming good old German beer! These all-German malts taste better in this configuration...:rockin::tank:

Just happened to be driving past the LHBS so I stopped in and got ingredients for the ESB I'll do T'giving weekend.

This was the first time in almost 6 months I've had to buy yeast, too. I have on hand 1272, 1007, 3068 and some probably dead 1450, but no English ale so I got some WLP002. I might have to make some more English style beers so I can be sure to wring every penny out of this vial.

Tried my chilled and carbed chocolate oatmeal stout. Big chocolate on the nose, extra black, slightly leaning towards bitter. Unfortunately still seems a little green. Can't say that last one is shocking. I just think back to my first stout and how it was "alright" when green then awesome when I had 2 bottles left. Guess it's time to cellar it for a couple months.

Brewed all day, I'll upload some pics in a min. Right now, I'm just glad to be sitting down, finally.
:mug:
Recipe:
15 lbs 2-row
1 lbs Crystal 15°L
1 oz Carafa III
Hops:
1 oz Galena (90min)
1 oz Amarillo (Whirlpool) (30min)
1 oz Mosaic (Whirlpool) (30min)
2 oz Simcoe(Whirlpool) (30min)
3 oz Citra (Whirlpool) (30min)

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

I bottled my Pale ale, All Hail The Pale Ale, and damn this stuff is good even uncarbed!

This is the first batch I've ever been completely happy with and I owe this to the wonderful homebrew community and their awesome tools. The trick kiddies is that here in Bourbon country, our water is variable as hell (and who knows what the hell is in those pipes your landlord has never replaced). Building my own water has been the best refining to my process yet!

Entered 2 mead and 2 jalapeno cream ale bottles for competition and brewed a citra, sorachi ace, simcoe brown IPA

I sold a couple & loaned a few out of my homebrewing book on Amazon Kindle that put me back in the top 100 in the US & top 25 in the UK. Does that count?

I got 6 cans of LME (Muntons) at 30% off. Two light, two Amber and one each of extra light/dark, 3.3 lbs each.

Drank some of my dampfbier last night while watching Bonanza on youtube with my multi-handicapped #1 son. He loves the old westerns. Definitely gotta wash a ton of bottles today as well.

Oh yeah, and I got my 44 yr old snowblower that died 2 years ago working again. Since I saved a bunch of money by unseizing the engine versus replacing it, I now get to buy more beer and more ingredients :D

Cleaned up for last night's brew session. Did a blackberry wit with 5 lbs of local blackberry puree. Found that I love my new stove. The big burner will bring 7 gal of wort to a nice rolling boil in about 30 minutes from mash out temp. So it looks like I won't have to brew in the cold this winter.

I just finished bottling 5 gallons of English ordinary bitter. On the patio wearing T-shirt, gym shorts and flip-flops. Man, I do love SoCal.

EnglishBitter.jpg

Back