What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a half gallon of good unfermented apple juice for a little experiment. I have 3 gallons of cheap grocery store cider that has fermented totally dry with Nottingham. My plan is to freeze concentrate the good stuff, and backsweeten with the concentrate (I may need another half gallon).

If all goes according to plan, I should have cider that tastes like good stuff, but costs a lot less to produce because it's made mostly of cheap grocery store stuff.

Made a stir plate this mourning. 11 dollar fan from amazon. A washer, a hd magnet and a cigar box. Works quite well. Can't wait to get a starter on this thing.

1414253127501.jpg

1414253140673.jpg

Just about finished my keezer just a tad of touchup stain. It's massive!!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414266188.539339.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Used 02 (english) for stouts and 01 (California ale). What do you think f differences are with 11 and 09?

To be honest I've never used either yeasts before but I like to experiment. I don't know about 011 as far as alcohol tolerance but it is a slower fermenting strain that can leave residual sweetness which I felt is what I think an Russian Imperial Stout needs. I'm using SDS 090 in the American stout, which should get it drier and hoppier.

Got my fingers crossed...

To be honest I've never used either yeasts before but I like to experiment. I don't know about 011 as far as alcohol tolerance but it is a slower fermenting strain that can leave residual sweetness which I felt is what I think an Russian Imperial Stout needs. I'm using SDS 090 in the American stout, which should get it drier and hoppier.

Got my fingers crossed...

Thanks for the response. Im planning an Imperial stout, maybe Russian, and agree about residue sweetness. Experimentation is a must with HBing...think you've convinced me to try.

Bottled my Irish Death clone. It's gonna be nice!

Here is a pick of all the labels at the bottom of my bottle soaking bucket. I love how they just fall off.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414278993.260889.jpg

Today I took a gravity reading/ taste test in my pirate strong ale . Looked at coolers to make a mash turn out of for for my leap into ag brewing, cleaned some bottles and decided on what two brews im doing next. Also, few more days till the pirate Is ready to bottle.

Brewed 6 gal of my AG Buzz Bomb IPA. OG 1.068. Pitched w/ Wyeast 1217 West Coast IPA then oxygenated. Now in my ferM chamber @ 66°F.
Cleaned up!

Got a starter going for the IPA I'll brew next weekend.

Then I freeze concentrated some good apple juice to backsweeten a small batch of hard cider, which also got kegged.

Bottled my pumpkin ale, and stupidly mixed up the yeast/trub and leftover beer so I'm waiting for it to settle so I can wash and harvest it. Once it's settled I'm going to brew a vienna SMASH, still undecided on the hops for it.

Racked an oatmeal stout to keg, realized I forgot to dump out the lil amount of starsan. :smack: Super boneheaded move on my part, and kinda bummed. I guess it happens to the best of us.

Helped my friend bottle his first batch beer a extract ipa with summit cascade and chinook with some steeping grains. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414456717.354423.jpg

--------------------------------------

Where do you place your probe?

Busy evening in the brewery...
Got a friend to taste a few draws from fermentations I thought had gone infected. He pronounced them perfect.
So I got busy and dry hopped Rumble, a Pliny the elder clone, transferred the Ruby Rye to secondary, and dry hopped that too.
Before I got started with all that, I managed to convert a sanke tap with with quarter inch flare tailpieces, and then tap a commercial keg with some lovely IPA in it so I had some refreshment for my labors.

The villagers rejoice. Soon there will be beer.

Got on it early today. Roused the dry hops in the Ruby Rye PA - both carboys. Man does that smell delicious.

And now, hi ho, hi ho....

I owe, I owe, so off to work I go. Dirty rotten stinkin' job I owe, I owe. Still got some bottles to scrub & get to work on my rear brake leak again.

I installed a camlock fill port and sight glass/thermometer on my HLT, and a whirlpool port on my kettle. I was surprised at how easy it was to drill my BK, Bobby_M's video helped.

2014-10-28 20.43.45.jpg

2014-10-28 20.44.21.jpg

2014-10-28 20.45.12.jpg

2014-10-28 20.46.06.jpg

I washed some yeast for my brewday this weekend. First time trying it but it looks like I got a good jar of it

My Espresso Stout was ready, so I bottled for the first time in a few years. A monkey with a football for sure, no efficiency at all, but got 'er done.

stoutbottle.jpg

Checking fermentation progress with my big and small beers. Big RIS is doing well after a blowoff tube was fitted at the 48 hour mark. The small stout hasn't shown any airlock activity with wlp090 but that happened the last time I used that strain and all came out well.

Back