What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my pump in! SWMBO intercepted the package and opened it up... saw the receipt and called me at work... Beg for forgiveness? Haha

Got my pump in! SWMBO intercepted the package and opened it up... saw the receipt and called me at work... Beg for forgiveness? Haha

apparently, I behave like you : act and ask for forgiveness, instead of asking for permission first. I don't know if that sounds right in English.. whatever. Works every time :ban:

I think we are not alone here... I am sending her off to have her hair and nails done while I watch the kiddos... Even Steven now!

Trust me, it was so worth it! I love having a pump, makes transfers way easier. :mug:

It's pump #2 actually. Got all the fittings on it and will mount it on the stand tomorrow! Thanks again Bobby_M

Pulled 3oz of dry hops out of a keg of IPA last night, kitchen smelled amazing. Really looking forward to this beer.

Got the fridge looked at by repairman #2 yesterday, only to find that it wasn't the compressor, but the fan motor had gone south. Need to chill my top off spring water for brewday...guess I'll consign myself to a bunch of bottles that need cleaning...

Got the last 4 lines run on my keezer, tasted my Kolsch and Oktoberfest (both=awesome), and am now all set to show off my new Frankenkeezer to my friends at our Oktoberfest party this weekend.

Just went outside to check my cascade hops plant, it's a first year plant but it seems to be doing fine.

Checked the gravity on my "Leftovers IPA" down to 1.010 from 1.045 using safale US-05 in 3.5 days, thinking I may cold crash it on Thursday to have it carbed for brew day on Saturday.

Made a 3.8l starter for the IPA I'm brewing on Saturday.

Bottled 2 bottles of my Milk Stout, 1 to give away to a friend who has been wanting to try it, one for me to make sure carbonation was right.

Modified My Swamp cooler to take a 6 gallon carboy. The ice chest was too short, I now should be able to do 5.5 gallons and maybe bottle 5 gallons instead of 4 .3.:)

Started the cold crash on my "leftovers IPA" aiming for a 7 days from boil to keg.

Checked up on my yeast starter, sporting a nice solid krausen, should be ready for the fridge by friday evening, in time for saturday brew day.

Started the cold crash on my "leftovers IPA" aiming for a 7 days from boil to keg.

Checked up on my yeast starter, sporting a nice solid krausen, should be ready for the fridge by friday evening, in time for saturday brew day.

Bottled my Quad and RIS, 2 gallons of the RIS went in a mini keg:rockin:

IMG_4465.jpg

I'm hoping Stewart appliances calls tomorrow that they have the fan motor for the fridge so I can chill the spring water for top off of PM dampfbier, version 2. Very close to done with re-write of my fist book, working on book 2 & home brewing book as well. Gotta upload HB book by November first for Christmas. Nothing like a little pressure...:mug:

added a vent line for my pump to hopefully make brew day a bit easier will find out in about 8hrs or so.

I thought about beer for most of the day, and did some reading as to why my beers seem under carbonated (i'm in denial about drinking them too soon) and am looking forward to my next brew (a BIAB SMaSH) as well as changed the ice in my lager swamp cooler.

Made a starter of my Conan I built up for a recipe I combined from the recipe data base on here I'm calling it Pliny in the dark I got the hop schedule from Pliny light and the black ipa from black shadow can't wait to brew this
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410481037.392610.jpg

Recipe:
Pliny in the dark-

89.3% 12.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)
5.4% 0.75 lbs. Carafa III (de-husked)
3.6% 0.50 lbs. Crystal 80L
1.8% 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt

1.0 oz Amarillo Mash hop (Pellet)
1.0 oz Columbus 14%AA 90 min FWH (Pellet)
1.0 oz Columbus 20 minutes (pellet)
1.0 oz Simco 14%AA 20 minutes (pellet)
1.5 oz Simco 14%AA 1 minute (Pellet)
1.0 oz Galaxy 14.1%AA 1 minute (Pellet)
1.0 oz Chinook 14.0%AA 1 minute (Pellet)
12 oz Corn sugar
1.0 oz each (Galaxy, Columbus, Simco for 5 days)

Conan for
Yeast

I bought a frothing thermometer with a 12" probe and a fermometer for my new fermenter. I tried to buy some FermCap S but the two LHBS's I went to don't carry it.

I also put a Campden tablet in my brew water for tomorrow.

Made 4# of candy and ground 34# of grain for a Wicked Tripel I'm brewing in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Packaged up my Best Bitter, half cask and half bottle as I've started doing regularly now, and then washed out the yeast for Sunday's Old Ale (that'll get an extra year in secondary with some Brett C when it's done).

Heading to brew store for my Pliny in the dark recipe that I combined dark horse black ipa on the data base and Pliny light recipe we shall see how it goes here is the, only difference is there is galaxy in this recipe rather then the original all American hops in Pliny. Then after that going to vac pack my 2lbs of mt.hood tonight

Pliny in the dark-

89.3% 12.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)
5.4% 0.75 lbs. Carafa III (de-husked)
3.6% 0.50 lbs. Crystal 80L
1.8% 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt

1.0 oz Amarillo Mash hop

1.0 oz Columbus 14%AA 90 min FWH

1.0 oz Columbus 20 minutes
1.0 oz Simco 14%AA 20 minutes

1.5 oz Simco 14%AA 1 minute
1.0 oz Galaxy 14.1%AA 1 minute
1.0 oz Chinook 14.0%AA 1 minute
12 oz Corn sugar
1.0 oz each (Galaxy, Columbus, Simco for 5 days)

Bottling an American IPA. Racking a Breakfast Stout to secondary. Brewing a SMaSH Kolsch. I better get started!

Here's my recipe:

3 Gallon All Grain

Pilsner Malt - 6 lb.
Hallertau Hops - 1 oz. (60 minutes)
Safale US-05

OG - 1.050
SRM - 3.5
IBUs - 24.3
ABV - 5.3%

Since I "have" to bottle, rack, and brew today, I decided to keep it simple.

HD was having a sale on GE 7 CF for under $200.
I have one given to me by a neighbor that moved & it's very stable. I out in a small fan & used an extra Auber for temp control. Easily accommodates 2 6 gal carboys or two kegs plus CO2 for carbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Do you ferment and serve at the same time out of the same fridge? If so, what temp do you put the fridge at to accommodate both?

Well got everything to brew tomorrow think I might try a second running with mt.hood only. Then I vac packed 2lbs of mt.hood. And then I looked over and my 2yr old brewing assistant made a air lock in his cup

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410629506.033467.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410629529.411715.jpg

Got the temp control for my fermenter wired
and installed. Also built a DIY stir plate. Hoping to brew tomorrow.

Cleaned two 3 gallon carboys and autosiphon. Going to split my Bavarian style hefeweizen and dry hop half with cascade. Bought parts for a ghetto rigged beer gun.

Tomorrow I'll transfer the hefeweizen and pump off anything that has settled out of my IPA in the keg.

I bought another rope tote to use as a swamp cooler for my new fermenter, Also, not technically beer, but I bought the ingredients for a cyser.

Cleaned out the 2 containers I use for starters.

Hosed down the brew room.

Scrubbed & rinsed 44 bottles just a bit ago. gotta scrub the racking tubes, etc that've been soaking in PBW & empty the cleaner out of a fermenter. Gota get the spigot cleaned & sanitized on the other one too. Wanna brew version 2 of the dampfbier tomorrow or the next day.

Back