What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Preemptively adjusted the rollers on my new mill from the factory .039 to .035 before my first brew with it (probably in about a week or two). Bought a bottle of gueuze to enjoy and feed the dregs to a sour stout. Bought some other beers. Drank a bunch of beer.

Kicked a keg last night. Now to clean and sanitize said keg, and get it ready to fill up, when I need it next. Trying to keep my pipeline in motion.

Picked up ingredients for my first ever lager (got the starter going last week) and picked up a growler of an awesome red IPA from the Vintage Brewing Co., one of my favorite brewpubs.

Later on I'll step up my lager starter and mix up some root beer for my nieces.

EDIT: Oh, and last night I brought a growler of Yooper's Hoppy American Amber and a bomber of my dubbel to a party, and both got very enthusiastic reviews.

I ordered out a false bottom for my 55 Gallon Lauter tank. Cost $273 so I spent the day looking for coupons for jaybirds falso bottoms. I missed Black Friday but figured there had to be a discount somewhere. Oh well, still worth the money at any price.

Racked my triple berry mead. Started a new batch of JAOM with half the recommended cinnamon (it was just too much). Scored some wine bottles last night from a friend's at a Christmas Party.

Yes I know...that's all about mead. I also got a few beer bottles and I tried a Tripel Karmeliet (then another...I have two bottles left). Man is that a good beer.

I cleaned all my brew equipment and sanitized to start a SN pale ale clone tonight. To my surprise the swmbo is using the kitchen to bake cookies. She won the fight of course. So now I'm sitting here watching football enjoying a home brew. Who's winning now.....?

Kicked a keg last night. Now to clean and sanitize said keg, and get it ready to fill up, when I need it next. Trying to keep my pipeline in motion.

Same here :tank:

I'm trying to decide stout/porter or IPA. Very different ends of the spectrum, I realize

Same here :tank:

I'm trying to decide stout/porter or IPA. Very different ends of the spectrum, I realize

Nice, I kegged my Stout about a week ago, and now I'm waiting a few more days for my SMaSH Pale Ale to finish up fermenting. Then, I will have both ends of the spectrum covered: Dark/Roasty and Pale/Bitter.

I wanted both ends of the spectrum, to keep my family and friends happy, with more variety. In case, one likes a certain style, but, not the other.

Got 2 oz each of Citra, Simcoe, and Chinook, all full leaf, along with 1056 for my IPA I'll be brewing on Wednesday.

Kegged a hef for my lady love, kegged some apfelwine, made 5 gal regular apfelwine, made 5 gal apfelwine with 2 lbs dextrose and 2 lbs brown sugar.

161dba0.jpg

Mocked up my solar pump setup. Going to have to build some sort of stand for it.

I tolerated Christmas music. Yes, I am a scrooge. No, I cannot stand the stuff. But I put up with it until I could get home to pour myself a couple. Be proud of me, I haven't injured anyone yet this holiday season.

Realized I miscalculated the starter size I need for my first lager and stepped my starter WAY up. It's about a gallon and half now. That oughta do it.

All I did today, was dial back the CO2 pressure, on my stout, and sample the product.

Last night I took some gravity readings for a rye amber (stuck at 1.020 and looking/smelling funny, probably dumping) and a Nelson Sauvin/Galaxy IPA that finished at 1.012. Added Nelson/Galaxy/Simcoe dryhop to the IPA. Sampled my Dunkle and decided it is ready to carb. Filled a growler of my blood orange/white peppercorn Saison and also bought some SN Celebration and some Lagunitas Brown Shugga. Forecast this week - 100% chance of drunk

Picked up 55 lbs of 2-row, received 15 lbs of Maris otter and a new auto siphon in the mail. Need to order some 1028 for next week's brew session, and need to start working up some recipes for a friend's wedding reception. It's in early June, so time is currently on my side.

Got a submersible pump delivered. Hooked up fittings between pump and my two-coil immersion chiller (that was previously an immersion chiller and a prechiller that I merged together), and did a leak test and flow test. Appears I'm in business. Hopefully come summer time I can go boil to pitching temp in 15 minutes.

Kegged and bottled 10 gallons. An American wheat and a normal bitter. Moved 3 kegs to the freezer for chilling. Cleaned up after myself.

While I prefer bottle conditioned beer, there really is no substitue for the time savings you get from kegging. I bottled a sixer of each for friends, and kegged the rest.

So I had 3 Mason jars of washed yeast (WLP300) that hasn't been used in months and took action. I took one Mason jar and poured off the entire top portion to a new freshly sanitized Mason jar to see how well it'll shake out or need to dump. Made a huge starter and took the top portion of the other two jars into the starter, dumped the rest, and cleaned all empty Mason jars. Letting it go for a few days so I'll have enough fresh yeast for my upcoming Caramel Dunkel as well as replenish/revive my supply of fresh Hefe yeast for another brew time. I polished one T/C Sweet Amber Ale along with 3 Fall Harvest Saison pints to give me the proper work guidance refreshment, lol.

Decided not to go to the LHBS for ingredients for a ginger beer I'm brewing next week. Going to do a small extract batch just to experiment. Just need the ginger now.

Also dry hopped 2 different ciders. One got Cascade, the other Citra/Willamette.

Invited my bro over to brew with me in a few weeks so i can show him the ropes. Hopefully i can get my other brother to come up and do a batch with me someday too

I did a lot of cleaning, and sanitizing. Buckets, hoses, carboys, mason jars, and an auto siphon. Resulted in a kegged batch of my Golden Promise/Mosaic SMaSH, and 3 pint jars of WLP090 slurry.

On my day off yesterday I cleaned, reconditioned, and sanitized two kegs (they had been in storage for 5 years). Kegged 5 gallons of oatmeal stout. Scrubbed and sanitized two carboys and racked 10 gallons of Amber. Brewed 10 gallons of brown. Oh, and I made bread too.

I finally got around to scrubbing some 28 bottles today. Got 2 cans to rinse for the collection & have to lightly scrub one fermenter,rinse & sanitize for next time.Got some home brews in the fridge for later.

Back