What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got shipping confirmation on the parts I need to tweak my keezer so I can actually use it. Stole some of TNGabe's wood.

All I did was open up the fermenter for my Gandhi-bot clone to give it a whiff and see if it's ready for the dry hops. It smells insanely good, but I think it needs a couple more days before I take a gravity sample and add the dry hops.

Picked up the rest of the parts I needed for building my heat sticks. Got the cord attached to the elements tonight and will probably be finishing up the build tomorrow or Thursday night. Can't wait to brew with these.

Got two entries together for my first comp . Entering a Schwarzbier and a wee heavy :mug:

image-123148016.jpg

Opened a few, poured a few, put a few in the refrigerator... drank a few.

A good beer day I must say...

Brewed up the first part of a 2gal batch of hard root beer thanks nizzle for the recipe, pitched the yeast and a nice fermentation going on now, also started a harvest of some heady yeast not sure which yeast but figured it doesn't hurt to have some good yeast around

2 week FG test on my PM Traditional Stout. Down to 1.012 from 1.050 2 weeks ago today. So by Cooper's formula that's 5.59% so far. Smooth dark flavor,but a little watery yet. Roastiness is starting to come through. Nice lil buzz from hydrometer sample. Also checked bottles of my Maori IPA that had the lacto infection I racked out from under. Clear as a bell with nothing floating on the surface of the beer in the bottles so far @ 6 days in. :mug:

Yesterday I did some more work on my 2 brew paddles, coming along nicely now that my dremmel got fixed, did some engraving as well. Last night made a starter for some captured Ovila yeast trying to grow for a healthy batch size for an upcoming brew.

Kegged my Pumpkin Ale and Santa's Helper (winter warmer). Cleaned carboys and rearranged garage for winter.

Bottled 5gal of Andes Mint Chocolate Stout.. Should be ready for the holidays.

I have not bottled a full 5 gal in 9 months, I forgot how tedious it can be.

Because I somehow lost the box with my hydrometers, refractomer, and beer thief, and because today was bottling day, I had to make a run to the LHBS to at least get a hydrometer and thief. I took my father-in-law along, and he seemed to have a good time. Then he helped me bottle my Galaxy hop, 2-row pale malt SMASH. The passionfruit aroma and flavor from the Galaxy hops is great, but next time I might do something a little more interesting or robust with the malts.

We also checked the gravity on the porter that is going to be dosed with bourbon and bourbon-soaked oak cubes when it's time for secondary. Unfortunately the SG is still at 1.027 after two weeks of fermentation. There are still some small remnants of the krausen on top, and I tried to gently stir up some yeast from the bottom. We'll see how it looks in a week. This was our first beer using White Labs yeast in the vial, and we lost a fair bit when it sprayed while we were opening it. As a result, we under-pitched.

Under-pitching, losing gear... what else did I screw up for beer lately?

Checked the calander,& next Friday (retiree payday) it'll have been 3 weeks that my Cougar country IPA will have been in bottles carbing & conditioning. But it's been chilly till the heat got turned on...so it might need another week.
Can't wait to savor the flavor of all those hops...!

Picked up three new/used ball lock kegs & restocked my beer cooler w/ goodies from the Left Coast sent by my daughter while she was back in CA for her school's homecoming.
Enjoying some Big Daddy IPA right now.

Bottled 2 cases of Mike's Brown Ale. Dry hopped another 5 gallons of Brown Ale with an ounce of Kent Goldings and started force carbonation on it.

Need to get another two cases bottled for my son's wedding next Saturday.

Two cases each of Mike's Brown Ale, Dry Hopped Brown Ale. One case of ESB. Half a case of Centennial Blonde. All for the "After Party"...

:rockin:

Hope it's enough. No time to brew more...

Oh, picked up a bottle of Fin du Monde at Costco and knocked most of it back, too...

:mug:

kegged 5 gallons of Brulosophers blonde and 5 gallons of No short measure (from brewing classic styles), added 2 taps to the keezer to make 5 total, worked on wiring the controller for automating my brewery, all while watching the cowboys blow it.

I replaced my old straight SS braid with a circular SS braid connecting to drain with another SS braid pice, tested and drains better than ever

ForumRunner_20131027_184754.png

ForumRunner_20131027_184808.jpg

ForumRunner_20131027_184818.png

Finished cleaning/delabeling the last of my backlog of bottles, removed the paper towel/rubber band from my Short Mead and fitted an airlock as fermentation dies down.

Just removed the dry hops from my Gandhi-bot clone and took a gravity sample. It's a has a bit of a fruitier aspect to it than before the dry hops. Not sure how that's going to effect the final beer as far as how close it is to Gandhi-bot, but my pre-dry hop sample tasted really close, so I fear it may be a detriment. Not saying it won't be good, the sample I just took was very good, just think it wasn't as close to Gandhi as the first one. We'll find out in about two weeks because I will be bottling this bad boy tomorrow afternoon or evening.

Today, I cleaned out an empty keg, that I finished last night. Dry hopped a 5 gal batch, in the carboy, with 3.5 oz's. Included, Simcoe, Centennial, and CTZ. I also whipped up some knox unflavored gelatin, to clear a stubborn batch. And will dry hop tomorrow, after the gelatin crashes.

I took a 2nd FG sample of my PM traditional Stout. Still @ 1.012. So today I rack it onto white oak chips soaked in Bourbon in secondary. Color is a lil darker than last week & taste is a bit roastier. Very nice so far...:ban:
11:50AM-Got the stout onto the oak/bourbon in secondary. Had to split the oak chips between to sanitized muslin hop sacks to physically get'em in the better bottle's neck. Gunna be fun gettin'em out. At least it made some co2 to fill the head space & get a blip out of the airlock.

Went to my lhbs, to get some tubing, yeast, and grains. Also, went to home depot for a little oxygen canister.

Racked my Nut Brown to secondary. Just from the gravity sample I can say this is probably the best beer iv made. And the best racking experience as I almost got every drop. Good beer day :D

2013-10-28 21.16.43.jpg

2013-10-28 21.34.08.jpg

Racked my BDSA to the secondary over three pounds of figs and one more packet of Candi syrup. The ECY09 Belgian Abbaye yeast took it from 1.080 to 1.013 so it's at 8.7 before the latest additions ferment.

image-4111040384.jpg

image-3440966197.jpg

image-1734697316.jpg

Tastes pretty good already!

image-882243363.jpg

*EDIT* - I should learn not to trust my memory. It the OG was actually 1.088 so the new estimated FG (I'm using Sean Terrill's refractometer calculator) says it's now 1.009 ... and 10.2% After the added Candi syrup and fig sugars ferment this is going to be a big one :D

Checked gravity on my dopplebock to see if it's ready for d-rest yet. It's not..

Washed some Greenbelt and Conan from a couple starters I made.

Changed out frozen water bottles in a swamp cooler a few times. Had to resort to a swamp cooler for an ale for the first time in over 1.5 years, since the dopplebock is in the fermentation chamber. The ale is actually just a small 1.5 gallon batch that was party-gyled from the dopplebock mash.

Latest posts

Back