What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried Juliens cider for the first time, awesome and sour how I like my ciders. And sat on a boat about 20 yards off the pier watching the Original Wailers(minus Bob of course) in concert while drinking the Red, White, and Blue Pale Ale I made for the 4th. Kick ass time.

I brewed a batch of Cascade Pale Ale (My recipe), cleaned up, and finished by drinking a home brew.

image-206365882.jpg

That beautiful bottom layer of unicellular organisms was built up from my first yeast slant. Got to love it when a plan comes together. All thanks to this forum.

Finished running lines, mounting taps and cleaning the inside of the lines and a keg. Racked and force carbed my first brew, a chinook IPA. Drank a glass of said IPA. Oh, yeah and I got a batch of edworts apfelwein into my 5 gallon BB.

Not to brag... but:

Bottled a 5 gal Amber.
Bottled a 5 gal Bitter.
Racked my 5 gal Barleywine. (Me own recipe! -Say it in a Scottish accent-)
Racked a 5 gal 5 gal Cream Ale.
Prepared a 1.5 liter starter for my Belgian Golden Strong I'm brewing tomorrow. (It's gonna be a partigyle, so I'm actually brewing two 5 gal batches tomorrow. The second's gonna be a blonde ale).

I'm totally bragging.

fargo234 said:
Not to brag... but:

Bottled a 5 gal Amber.
Bottled a 5 gal Bitter.
Racked my 5 gal Barleywine. (Me own recipe! -Say it in a Scottish accent-)
Racked a 5 gal 5 gal Cream Ale.
Prepared a 1.5 liter starter for my Belgian Golden Strong I'm brewing tomorrow. (It's gonna be a partigyle, so I'm actually brewing two 5 gal batches tomorrow. The second's gonna be a blonde ale).

I'm totally bragging.

You're totally single. Or an outstanding trainer.

I got a few steps closer to having a co2 regulator with a paintball fitting on it (rather than a cga320 fitting, or a cga320 fitting with a paintball adapter). This will be installed inside a minifridge just big enough for a single keg, with a 20oz paintball co2 cylinder. The cost is in the same neighborhood as the paintball bottle adapter, but it's the principle of the thing.

I bought an oxygen bottle at the hardware store, and received an oxygen fitting from william's brewing.

Read a lot of posts on a lot of sites. Drank some beer. Went to the ER. Went to In and Out. Hung a mirror. Not in this order.
Slainte

Entered the home brew contest at the county fair, two entires, brothers kolsch and brothers white iPa. First ever competition, excited but kind of sad to see 6 bottles that i will not be drinking.

Cleaning and racking 5 gallons of aventinus clone. Also purchased more bottles , a big ol spoon and more iodine. Contemplating the next brothers recipe...

Kegged a NB/Cascade pale and a Smarged hopped kolsch, tranfered my Northwest (1332) Single Malt Ale (hopped) on some med white oak spirals 1.102-1.012 oops next time ill mash a little higher then 147

Brewed an EPA in record time. The recipe called for a 75 min mash and a 90 min boil. Got the whole thing done in 4.5 hrs. That includes set up and clean up. Course I had the starter and water all ready to go last night. Hit all my numbers with no mishaps or equipment failures. I'm hoppy. :)

Bought the ingredients for my next batch, Beach Blond Ale. It's about 10 lbs of light grain, lightly hopped, Wyeast Northwest yeast. It has cooled some in NYC so maybe I'll get to it this week. I'm not crazy enough to brew in 100 degree heat.

This should be light drinking for the beach.

What i did is get a carboy hauler for my 6.5 glass primary after seeing the poor dude who got a but load of stitches in his hands and legs after his broke

What i did is get a carboy hauler for my 6.5 glass primary after seeing the poor dude who got a but load of stitches in his hands and legs after his broke

i know there are multiple threads like this but do you know the link to this one?

unpacked a 50lb box of ingredients :rockin:

made a yeast starter(WLP575) for a belgian IPA I am making later this week

and I am brewing a 5 gallon batch of a zombie dust clone tonight

potentially(hopefully) adding a manifold to my gas line.

Hovered over my three batches in primary, taking in the wonderful bready aroma Wyeast 1272 Am. Ale II creates. Being paranoid about the berries in my cider clogging up the airlock :D

ForumRunner_20120709_130339.jpg

Bottled my first batch - NB's Bavarian HefeWeizen (and sampled the "leftover" half glass when I finished)

Got the grains/hops/yeast to do a 2.5gal BIAB AG Centennial Blonde (mashing as I type this)

Picked up an extract kit for a pale ale from NB (undecided if I'm brewing that tonight or tomorrow night).

Ordered a few books from B&N. Was going to buy them from the actual B&N store, but they cost twice as much in store as online. And I got free shipping online, so only a couple of days to wait. I'll keep reading Joy of Homebrewing on the Kindle while I wait.

Made sure my buddy knew I was spending my last vacation day well by texting pictures of beer-related activities all day long :mug:

Last night i learned that you cannot just dump powdered gelatin into water and expect things to work out. I ended up adding a stir bar and leaving it on the stir plate overnight to dissolve the wad of gelatin.

So this morning i vented my keg of kolsch - 1 week in primary, 1.5 weeks in secondary, 3 weeks lagering at 40f - added gelatin solution, resealed and purged, force carbed, and put it back in the fridge.

Tonight is hopefully my first pour from a keg. In a mini-fridge, with cobrahead and a 20oz paintball tank (for serving only).

This is not how far along i hoped to be by now. I had hoped to have my old fridge converted to a 3-keg kegerator with perlick taps out the front and gas plumbed carefully though some wall or other to a 20lb tank chained to it's side. But repairing my "new" fridge so that i can move all my food out of the one i got for free when i bought my house is a project that keeps getting put off.

Made a video of my primary fermenter airlock & posted it to my thread A Couple of Noobs 2nd Brew - Belgian Triple Nipple!! in the Beginners Forum.
Go check it out & see what ya think!! ;)

The hubby & I brewed our second beer last night.
Brewed a Munton's Bock Brew first go 'round & decided to kick it up a notch with some extracts, grains & hops...

A%20Couple%20of%20Noobs%202nd%20Brew%20-%20Belgian%20Triple%20Nipple
[/URL][/IMG]

Peace. Love. & Beer.

What did I not do?! I de-labelled bottles, brewed Bee Cave Hefe, bottled BDSA and Graham's cider, and made a new cider. Oh, I forgot to drink beer. Other than that, I did it all.

Swapped some frozen bottles out of one one of my swamp coolers and stared at a couple airlocks wishing I had a carboy or better bottle.

I keg'd a Hnney wheat and a Saison for a friend and put them on pressure for him. Also cold crashed a Peach Cream Ale, and a Rassberry Cream Ale. Also talked to brew friend about upcoming brews and cooked bacon to put into a Smoked Wheat.

Helped a friend clear room in his garage by 'borrowing' his extra keggerator for my intended use of a ferm chamber. Was rewarded with a guiness from his kitchen counter top built-in Guinness tap.

Dilemma now is to brew another using the ferm chamber, or keg my recently swamp cooler fermented brew and enjoy it on tap.

HellInABucket said:
Dilemma now is to brew another using the ferm chamber, or keg my recently swamp cooler fermented brew and enjoy it on tap.

I say brew using the swamp cooler and put the keg in the fridge. Swamp cooler is working for you, keep it going.

Yesterday I harvested a computer power supply and fan from an old computer that was lying around my office. Today I pulled the PS apart and began converting it to a bench power supply. I plan to use it to power the fan and pump in my next DIY project...a fermentation chiller. I hope to have the whole thing done by the end of summer.

It's a good project this summer since it has been so hot I can work in the basement where it's at least a little cooler. I have learned recently my basement is not cool enough to ferment even ales. The last ale fermented near 80 degrees no matter what I tried. I hope I don't get too much "fermentation" character out of it. Oh well, it's done now. :eek:

Made sure the fermentation temps on the BIAB Centennial Blonde I brewed last night were stable and acceptable (and the yeast appears to like it - was already starting to bubble 2 hours after pitching last night, nice krausen now and bubbling away happily). At the moment, I'm brewing the Southern Star Pale Ale kit I picked up at NB yesterday, since it seems wrong on several levels to have a clean and empty 6 gallon BB.

Bottled what was left in a rye beer and a coffee chocolate porter so I had clean empty kegs to rack a few beers to this weekend . Cleaned and sanitized four kegs . Cleaned and sanitized my lines and faucets also wiped out the inside of the Keezer while it was fairly empty. Turned out to be a long evening . But a couple homebrews and music helped pass the time .

Back