What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ran our of CO2 last night, kicked a keg, then I kicked the keezer, and made some ravioli. I didn't know it was that easy. To make things right, I stopped at the Candy Store and picked up a 12'er of SNPA. So I'm happy for the moment.

i put grains in the tun- i was supposed to be home by six- but lieffmans, cuvee, damn how it ruins a well planned night (that and about 14 lagers and fireballs - i think goldshlager and tobasco) well- i will be there for you tomorrow, beer- where were you for me tonite??

picked up this tank and now have to decide what to do with it. cut it in half and make two 35gal conical or a mash tun and boil kettle. IMG_0642.jpg
it is A 70GAL tank picked it up for $160

Ya but the darn thing is heavy would have to put it on a swivel cause I dont want to pick it up it is made out of prob 1/8' SS. I can get a hold of more SS every day and my pops is a welder so we can make anything a brewer needs but I find myself in a delima of not wanting to waste the tank and make it as usefull As possible.

I racked a wheat beer on to 4lbs of blueberries. I have to say San Diego Super Yeast fermented out in about 3 days and was clearing a few days after that. I also washed some bottles and worked on recipes for some beers.

I registered on this forum, had a question answered within seconds of posting ;-) And I am boiling up an IPA as this is being written.
Cheers!

I registered on this forum, had a question answered within seconds of posting ;-) And I am boiling up an IPA as this is being written.
Cheers!

Welcome!

Just pitched yeast on my English IPA, just doughed in my Irish Red. Nailed my numbers on the first, the second's off to a good start.

Brewed some Honey Blonde Ale, in honor of my daughters B-day (like I need a reason to brew!!) I didn't use my new keggle for this beer, next one for sure!!

I moved the carboy upstairs. Ale Yeasty's were too sleepy at 58°C so they'll get a kick start at 68°C tonight. If anyone has a simple / low energy solution to bumping a carboy temp up ~ 4 to 6°C i would be indebted. Started to build an encasement with space heater but temp was too variable and energy use is probably excessive. Next thought, electric blanket.

Also spent some time trying to find a winner recipe to park in a retired bourbon oak barrel before it starts to dry out. No luck yet. All grain, partial or extract, doesn't matter to me as long as it's tasty ;).

brewed a calif steam- stared at my 25 dollar barrel, thinking how to get it full of bugs, then where to put it... guess that "bedroom" addition in the basement will have to be a cellar, too...

Bottled 6 gallons of English Ale and 4 gallons of Ginger Ale. Reorganized all my equipment in the garage and found 3 thingamabobs that work as great carboy drying stands

Cleaned and delabeled 50 more bottles I'm at 150 for the last 3 days with about the same amount to go should be good on bottles for a long while!!! now I just need my first batch to finish!!!

If anyone has a simple / low energy solution to bumping a carboy temp up ~ 4 to 6°C i would be indebted. Started to build an encasement with space heater but temp was too variable and energy use is probably excessive. Next thought, electric blanket.
heating pad and sweatshirts works pretty good. I have been able to maintain higher temps w/in a couple degrees- the fermwraps work pretty well, too...

Went out for two walks and picked up two packages that arrived.
DHLraid.jpg

~8 gal pot, almost 40 lbs of grain(2/3 pale, 1/3 pilsner) and some miscellaneous stuff.

I'll be taking a second FG reading on my Sunset Gold APA later. The airlock center piece settled all the way down this week,so I'm thinking it's finished. We'll see...

Added 1.5 inches of mineral wool insulation to mash tun keggle with aluminum flashing cover and thermal aluminaum flashing duct tape. Along with lid. Then did test run with 7 gallons of water with ambient temperature of 40 degrees. Took 20 min for water to climb from55 to 160. So I'm pretty pumped. Some of the tape addhesive caught fir but it was minimal and I also cranked my burner to test flame endurance so it most likely won't happen again.

I just bottled up some Denny's Rye IPA in bombers. I am hoping it will be at least a little carbed up in 2 weeks as I have a get together with my beer geek cousins. I pulled a sample of my blueberry wheat just to see how the color was. Well the blueberries really haven't made there way all the way through yet so the top of the beer in the thief is pale yellow and the bottom is light purple. When I drain it into a glass it turns pink, pretty cool looking.

Ordered enough grain and hops...etc to do another 2 wheat beers and 4 IPAs. Happy Valentines Day to me, thanks to my SWMBO.

Order grains and hops for my next brew. A French saison, also bought a corker to start working wines and mead, and another fermented to make more at one at a time and enough extra stuff to get free shipping lol

beerbaitNammo said:
Cleaned and delabeled 50 more bottles I'm at 150 for the last 3 days with about the same amount to go should be good on bottles for a long while!!! now I just need my first batch to finish!!!

Now at 200 gonna keep chucking worst case I start kegging and have a bunch of free nice bottles for someone on the list

Bottled my stout for St. Patricks day. Salvaged the yeast for maybe another stout in a week or 2. Drank a beer I bottled 2 weeks ago, tasted better than I thought it would when I tasted the bad boy on day three of conditioning.....

I'm so hooked on this "home brew" business. Damn.

LTownLiquorPig said:
Bottled my stout for St. Patricks day. Salvaged the yeast for maybe another stout in a week or 2. Drank a beer I bottled 2 weeks ago, tasted better than I thought it would when I tasted the bad boy on day three of conditioning.....

I'm so hooked on this "home brew" business. Damn.

I know how you feel. Gonna rack my oatmeal stout this weekend.

Made some cap art last night

ForumRunner_20120215_194410.jpg

About to mash in a stout. First time using my remote thermometer. It's a cheap fix for not having an external one.

ForumRunner_20120215_194703.jpg

Bought an 8gal fermenting bucket to brew a Belgian Strong (cuz my only other primary is fermenting an Oberon clone). Then brewed a Belgian Strong! Up to 2 fermenting buckets and a carboy. Not much to many of you, but its a helluva start for this noob!!

3rd step of a bell's yeast harvest.

Read the instructions on my new pressure canner, so I can start canning wort and plating/slanting yeast in the next week.

brewed up my maybock. waiting a bit to pitch the yeasties. started a brett and a lactose infection in a batch destined for the barrel...

I purchased my first keg, which was awesome. While I don't have a place for a kegerator or keezer I wanted to be able to keg beer for parties. I will also use it for a secondary when I need to dry hop. I think this will be my last equipment purchase this year although I have my eyes on a plate chiller.

Yesterday: got in an order from BMW.
Today: Went around digging for bottles in recycling bins dressed in a blazer and tie, because my brewing partner doesn't pull his weight with keeping bottles clean and organized. Scored some big wine bottles that will save some time and money corking.
This weekend: Bottling apfelwein.
Monday: Driving to NJ to pick up bulk grains.

(Not today but in the last two weeks...) I joined my local homebrew club, helped my buddy brew his first beer--a german pilsner lager!!!, got another friend into brewing by giving him homebrew to prove it could be good (he's since done one kit and bought another), arranged to share some hard-to-find commercial brews with a geographically challenged forum member, got my kegerator set up and tasted my first kegged beer, bottled my RIS for a few months of conditioning, and planned my brews for the next four months!

I'm thirsty! :tank:

I bottled my APA last night,& used my new spray wand to clean my fermenter a little while ago. I'm also soaking a few bottles. Darn Railhead ale has tough labels like Great Lakes bottles. Finally got some sticky notes to label the stacks of filled bottles.

Brewed up an AG Caribou Slobber kit from Northern Brewer yesterday. This was my 3rd brew session and second AG using BIAB method. The first AG BIAB I did was a Porter from NB. I ended up making a coffee porter out of it by adding some cold coffee to the secondary. It turned out ok, but is getting better with time. I wasn't too happy with my efficiency with that brew, so for the one I did yesterday I did a sparge with an extra gallon of water (153 degrees) by pouring it over the bag in order to get more sweetness from the grain. I had a very active fermentation going on this morning when I checked it. This gets more fun each time I do it. I have an English Pale Ale (The Innkeeper) that I have ready for my next brew session this weekend.

For today I plan on going to the taste room at my local microbrewery (Straight to Ale) and checking out their selection. Bottoms up boys!!!

Latest posts

Back